“Disappointed”

Ranked #30 of 94 Hotels in Columbia
Burlington, Canada
“Disappointed”
Reviewed January 8, 2013

We booked for a brief overnight stay on our way to Florida. I would not recommend this hotel for the following reasons.
The only restaurant nearby is a Cracker Barrel. Fine for breakfast or lunch but not for dinner.
The room was spacious but in need of an upgrade. The sofa was tired and the sheets were old and the pillows were small with very wrinkled pillow cases.
This is a pet friendly hotel and we were next to a dog that enjoyed barking.
On weekends the breakfast does not start until 7 pm which does not suit us as we like to get on the road early.
The morning receptionist was very unhappy. I think we wakened him with our 6:30 departure.
This site is probably well suited to a family who plan to use the attractive pool and eat in the room.
Next time we will go to the next exit to the South on I77. Two Notch Road has several newer hotels and a number of restaurants.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Luvtravel41
Katie R, Manager at Residence Inn Columbia Northeast, responded to this review, February 1, 2013
Dear Luvtravel41,

It is with my sincerest apologies that we did not meet all of your expectations. Furthermore, I do greatly appreciate your honesty and opinioned review.

I would like to update you on a couple of matters. We have renovations scheduled for later this year and I know that you will be pleased with the modern updates. Also, it is a Marriott mandate that all Residence Inn properties must allow pets due to it being a long term stay property. It is with sadness and regret that my team was not able to sense your discontent and offer to move you to a different suite.

I hope you are able to visit us again as it would be a pleasure to welcome you back and to demonstrate our commitment to service excellence. Please contact me directly if you are planning a visit to the area again, and do not hesitate to contact me if I can ever be of any assistance to you.

Highest regards,

Katie.Register@marriott.com

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (56)
Michigan
Reviewed January 1, 2013

I had a two bedroom suite and it reminded us of a two bedroom timeshare. It was roomy and comfortable. No indoor pool but a reasonable workout room. The front desk people were very helpful making fast work of checkin. Breakfast are was clean and food was very filling. My only drawback was the coffee was not refilled in the lobby area. Great value and good clean rooms.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
Thanks for the fantastic review! We hope to see you and your grandkids back very soon. Thanks for choosing to stay with us!
Cordova, Tennessee
Reviewed December 19, 2012

The room 102 at this inn had the worst mattress I ever slept on. And the couch also sat to low and was not comfortable. The kitchen was great and appliances were all good. It was to noisy being the first room inside the door and I am a elite rewards member.

Room Tip: Never get a room near exit door or it constant noise.
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with friends
Dear Al944,

Thank you so much for your Marriott loyalty and for taking the time to share your experience. It is with my sincerest apologies that you did not enjoy your stay. Just to update you-- we have scheduled a renovation for later this year. We hope that you will visit us again to see the improvements and updates we have made. Thanks again, and we hope to see you soon!

New Baltimore, Michigan
Reviewed December 18, 2012

Stayed here four days with my parents to see my daughter graduate from basic training at Fort Jackson. Stayed in a two bedroom suite that was very comfortable for both of my parents and me and the wife and dog. the place was very clean and enjoyed the pool and hot tub outside in the private court.
They serve breakfast and a afternoon meal which worked out wonderful for the parents and us.
I would defiently stay here again!!

• Stayed March 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank Donald S
Congratulations on your daughter's graduation! You should be very proud and we thank her for her service to the country. Thank you for sharing your experience and writing such a lovely review. We are so pleased to hear that you enjoyed your stay and hope to see you again in the future!
Fernandina Beach, Florida
Reviewed December 11, 2012

I had stayed at this Residence Inn several months ago, and my wife and I stayed there on December 5. Like most Residence Inn this one provided us a comfortable large suite. We were particularly impressed with the food, welcome and wine at the evening reception. Equally good was the breakfast---one of the best we have had at motels and motor hotels.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
Katie R, Manager at Residence Inn Columbia Northeast, responded to this review, December 17, 2012
Dear Al G,

Happy Holidays! I hope that all is going well in Florida.

Thank you so much for the kind review. We strive daily to to exceed our guests' expectations and so pleased to hear that you enjoyed your stay. Our complimentary hot breakfast buffet and evening social are definitely a great amenitiy at the hotel for our guests to enjoy.

Thanks again, and we hope to see you again soon.

Asheville, North Carolina
Reviewed December 11, 2012

This Residence Inn is showing its age and need of an update. I stayed at this property for six months and had problems with plumbing and HVAC. The property just needs an update, new furniture, carpets and paint. I have never been in an Residence Inn that has had so many dogs. I love dogs and own a large dog but allowing so many in a hotel that they can hear and smell each other in their rooms and the resulting barking is too many dogs. The location is OK if you go to Two Notch Road and get a room that does not face the railroad tracks.

Room Tip: Try to avoid rooms facing the rear of the hotel as they face a railroad track which has trains trave...
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled on business
Dear MoovinOn,

Happy Holidays! I hope you are doing well!

Thank you so much for choosing the Residence Inn by Marriott for your extended stay. I would just like to update you regarding renovations. We will begin a full renovation in late 2013 and will be completed in early 2014. I know with full confidence that you will love our new design.

Thank you for taking the time to provide honest feedback.

We hope to see you next time you are in the Columbia area!

Latrobe, Pennsylvania
Reviewed November 28, 2012

I called the hotel to and explained there was a chance I might work night shift for the majority of my stay. They said no problem, I contacted my corporate travel and set up my reservation. I checked into my first room and it was filthy, hair in the tub, old pill bottles on the floor and dirt all over. I called the front desk and changed rooms. My new room, especially the shower curtain smelled like smoke. I called the front desk and they said they would have it changed the next day, 2 days later I had to call again and complain. It was finally changed. I then went on night shift a few days later and let the front desk know I wanted my room cleaned after I left for work- response was once the cleaning crew is done they leave for the day. I asked if I could get towels, wash cloths and TP deliver in a bag like other hotels have done for me, again no problem. The first 2 days no delivery and I would call the front desk and they refused to help so I had to go talk to the maids, who most of the time were eating on the floor. I asked numerous times to speak to the general manager and always told not available. My room was not cleaned for almost 30 days. I was taking my used towels and garbage out every few days, but got tired of doing this in a hotel I was paying 100/ night for . I will NEVER stay at this hotel and after this stay am reconsidering where I spend my 270 nights a year I travel- Hilton here I come....

Room Tip: Stay at another hotel
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
Dear Mike M.,

It is with my sincerest apologies that we did not meet all of your expectations. Furthermore, I do greatly appreciate your honesty and opinionated review.

In regards to the hotel, we stay 100% committed to service excellence. Unfortunately, we do not have housekeeping staff after hours to service rooms as we are a "limited service" hotel, but are more than happy to help in any way we can. Our records indicate that you had a "no service" sign placed on your door which prohibits any staff entering the room without your presence. Once we were notified that you preferred towels and toilet paper daily, we added this to our morning checklist and made sure to hang this on your door daily. In regards to trash and dirty towels, once again, we could not enter your room to remove these during housekeeping hours.

Our general manager was contacted by Marriott's Customer care regarding this issue. No messages or voicemail were left to the general manager regarding your displeasure previous to this. The general manager immediately sent a letter to you offering her personal service resolution, but no response was ever received.

It is with sadness and regret that our team was not able to provide a resolution to fit your needs before it came to this situation. On behalf of the hotel, I offer my deepest apologies again for your disappointments and hope that on one of your future trips to Columbia you will choose to stay with us again.

With highest regards,