“YUCK!!!! Not the typical Marriott”

Residence Inn Columbia Northeast
Ranked #26 of 94 Hotels in Columbia
Reviewed November 28, 2012

I called the hotel to and explained there was a chance I might work night shift for the majority of my stay. They said no problem, I contacted my corporate travel and set up my reservation. I checked into my first room and it was filthy, hair in the tub, old pill bottles on the floor and dirt all over. I called the front desk and changed rooms. My new room, especially the shower curtain smelled like smoke. I called the front desk and they said they would have it changed the next day, 2 days later I had to call again and complain. It was finally changed. I then went on night shift a few days later and let the front desk know I wanted my room cleaned after I left for work- response was once the cleaning crew is done they leave for the day. I asked if I could get towels, wash cloths and TP deliver in a bag like other hotels have done for me, again no problem. The first 2 days no delivery and I would call the front desk and they refused to help so I had to go talk to the maids, who most of the time were eating on the floor. I asked numerous times to speak to the general manager and always told not available. My room was not cleaned for almost 30 days. I was taking my used towels and garbage out every few days, but got tired of doing this in a hotel I was paying 100/ night for . I will NEVER stay at this hotel and after this stay am reconsidering where I spend my 270 nights a year I travel- Hilton here I come....

Room Tip: Stay at another hotel
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled on business
Katie R, Manager at Residence Inn Columbia Northeast, responded to this reviewResponded December 17, 2012

Dear Mike M.,

It is with my sincerest apologies that we did not meet all of your expectations. Furthermore, I do greatly appreciate your honesty and opinionated review.

In regards to the hotel, we stay 100% committed to service excellence. Unfortunately, we do not have housekeeping staff after hours to service rooms as we are a "limited service" hotel, but are more than happy to help in any way we can. Our records indicate that you had a "no service" sign placed on your door which prohibits any staff entering the room without your presence. Once we were notified that you preferred towels and toilet paper daily, we added this to our morning checklist and made sure to hang this on your door daily. In regards to trash and dirty towels, once again, we could not enter your room to remove these during housekeeping hours.

Our general manager was contacted by Marriott's Customer care regarding this issue. No messages or voicemail were left to the general manager regarding your displeasure previous to this. The general manager immediately sent a letter to you offering her personal service resolution, but no response was ever received.

It is with sadness and regret that our team was not able to provide a resolution to fit your needs before it came to this situation. On behalf of the hotel, I offer my deepest apologies again for your disappointments and hope that on one of your future trips to Columbia you will choose to stay with us again.

With highest regards,

Sales Manager

There are newer reviews for Residence Inn Columbia Northeast

Reviewed November 7, 2012

Talk about all the comforts of home, this is the place. They accept pets of all sizes (our dog weighs 65 lbs). The breakfast is great, they even had regular plates, coffee cups, glasses and dinnerware or you could use the paper products. If you needed too, they would even fix your breakfast to go! Every morning they offered different items besides the standard eggs and hash browns. Make your own waffles and different types of juices. Some of the best coffee I have ever had. The bed is very comfortable. We were temporary residences there due to a flood at our home. The shower was big and I didn't feel like I had to run around to get wet.
It was not home but the next best thing. Friendly staff and very helpful.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled with family

Dear Heather K,

Happy Holidays!

Thank you so much for choosing to stay at the Residence Inn by Marriott! We are so pleased to hear that you enjoyed your "home away from home". We continuously strive for service excellence so that our guests feel right at home and have everything they need (and more!).

Thank you very much for taking the time to share your experience. We hope you remember us in the future for any lodging needs you may have.

Sales Manager
Katie.Register@marriott.com

Reviewed November 5, 2012

Staying at Residence Inn's is what my family does at least six times per year. This one is no bargain. The amenities in the room do not compare to other Residence Inn's. The hot chocolate, coffee and cookies at night were no where to be found. But the WORSE part is that this hotel is right by a train track. SO the train BLEW the whistle twice during the night. It was so loud we all jumped with fright. The at 5 am the garbage truck is woring right outside the window. Restful night sleep..I think NOT.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank OAKLEY428
Reviewed November 2, 2012

Convenient to highway. Free breakfast in hotel or walk to comfort food right, next door. Room was clean. Bed was comfortable. Kitchen stocked with everything except an oven. My only complaint is no lemon for tea. I would stay again

• Stayed: October 2012
Reviewed September 17, 2012

I stayed at this location while in Columbia on business. I was here for five weeks. I had a one-bedroom, queen suite. The room was really awesome. In addition to the bedroom, it included a full kitchen and full-sized fridge- a must for me because I prefer to eat "at home" and I could purchase groceries with more than adequate room to store them.

I have to recognize Chris at the Front Desk-this guy is great. He has all the information to make your stay enjoyable. From ideas for where to eat or hangout, as well as directions to local attractions, Chris was a great resource. Also, I cannot forget Ms. Doreatha, who hosts the evening social. She is a warm and hospitable lady with a friendliness that makes you feel at home. The housekeeping staff is also outstanding. I had them service my room about 3-4 times and each time the room was well kept and supplied with amenities. I also appreciated the on-site laundry room. For my suits, I was glad that there is a $2.45 Cleaners about 10 minutes drive from the hotel.

The Residence Inn (RI) has a great breakfast each day from 6am-930am. It's not continental at all!! There's waffles, pancakes, grits, various breakfast meats, fruits, cereals, and pastries. It's quite tasty and just right to get you on your way. Also at the RI, Monday-Thursday evenings, there is a social hour from 6-730pm, where Ms. Doreatha provides various meals like spaghetti, hamburgers, shrimp scampii, fried chicken, salad, tasty desserts, and did I mention, FREE BEER AND WINE? I sat down here many nights with my colleagues. It was more cozy than a happy hour at a bar and we truly enjoyed meeting other people who were staying at the property.

I almost gave this property 4 stars instead of five because, honestly, the fitness center is POOR. There's a few dumbbells and pieces of cardio equipment, which I used because I needed to remain on my fitness regimen. However, Chris saved the day again! While staying at the RI, you can use the New Life Fitness World for FREE, just by showing your room key and photo ID. It's not the best gym but it has what I needed to get the job done. I used it weekly and had no problems. It's about a 10 minute drive from the hotel and NEVER CROWDED. By making this available for guests, the RI makes up for the lacking fitness center on property and I had to give them full five stars for the great effort to accommodate fitness nuts like myself!

Food wise, this place is centrally located to a number of restaurants. Cracker Barrel is RIGHT NEXT DOOR (I love that place.) There is also a Wendy's and a Bojangles within a 4 minute walking distance. Not too far away are chain favorites like Applebee's and Chili's. I encourage branching out and trying other places, particularly in the Vista area. I ate at the Carolina Ale House-it was great, especially their rooftop deck! There's also the Bonefish Grill, Longhorn Steak House, Jasmine Chinese Buffet (really good) and the Original Pancake House!

If you need groceries, I recommend going to either Publix or Kroger. There is a grocery store nearby, Bi-Lo, which is okay, but I preferred Kroger. Just plug the name in your GPS and you'll get right to it. Wal-Mart is also not too far away, as is Lowe's (I had to get some bungy cords for my trunk) and Target. There is a Long's Drug Store about a 10 minute walk from the hotel. If you want Walgreens or Rite-Aid, that's about a 10 minute drive from the hotel. Also, there is a Wells Fargo and Credit Union about a 5 minute drive away.

I also went to the movies, the Carmicke Theaters. It was "okay." Look for a Regal Theater if you can, those seem to be a little nicer.

Room Tip: Try to get a non-adjoining room, away from the elevators and on the top floor.
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled on business
Katie R, Manager at Residence Inn Columbia Northeast, responded to this reviewResponded October 4, 2012

Wow! What can I say? Thank you SO much for writing such a thorough review and sharing your experience with other travelers. Also, I really appreciate you sharing local "go-to" areas with other travelers. It's nice to hear it from the guest with how easy things are to access from our hotel.
I will make sure to pass on your lovely comments to Ms. Doreatha and Chris! They are truly an asset to the hotel. Thanks so much for staying with us. We hope to have the pleasure to see you again soon!

Reviewed August 26, 2012

We stayed for one night in late August. Requested a room that was not in the back, and was placed on the first floor, with an inside room. We didn't hear a thing from neighboring rooms during the night. The only complaint I have is that the bagels and muffins served at breakfast were a bit stale. I'm not sure if they were Friday's leftovers, served Saturday morning. This was the first time I've ever had a below average breakfast at a Residence Inn. Despite that, I will probably stay here again.

Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple
Katie R, Manager at Residence Inn Columbia Northeast, responded to this reviewResponded August 31, 2012

Thank you very much for taking the time to share your experience with other travelers. I have passed on your comments to our kitchen manager to ensure that we are serving the freshest food possible. We appreciate you staying with us and hope to see you again in the near future!

Reviewed July 28, 2012

I stayed here on 27 JUL12 and told the front desk attendent that I wanted a quiet room on high floor. I had too many bad experiences with heavy footed guests above me. The lady assured me this was a quiet room and I would have a peaceful night sleep. She was correct until I experienced the freight train rolling by the rear of the hotel late that night and then early the next morning while most were still sleeping. Horns blowing and all. Not my idea of a peaceful night sleep. I felt misled by the front desk attendent or she just didnt care. Not a good way to take care of your guests.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled solo
4  Thank Anthony H

It is with my sincerest apologies that we did not meet all of your expectations and it is with sadness and regret that my team failed to fill your requests. Furthermore, I do greatly appreciate your honesty and opinioned review.

In regards to the hotel, we stay 100% committed to meet and exceed every guest’s expectations. I have spoken with the guest service agent and have stressed the importance of meeting our guests' requests and forewarning of possible disturbances.

I hope you are able to visit us again as it would be a pleasure to welcome you back and to demonstrate our commitment to service excellence. Please contact me directly if you are planning a visit to the area again.