“Some of the worst bbq I've ever had”

Maurice's Piggie Park BBQ
Ranked #468 of 974 Restaurants in Columbia
Cuisines: Barbecue
Good for: Local cuisine
Description: South Carolina's Favorite Barbeque! Real BBQ, Cooked on our Hickory Wood-Fired Pits for 24 Hours!We cook our BBQ the old fashioned way, over hickory coals for 24 hours to optimize that smoky flavor with no preservatives or chemicals! Taste our Ribs, Chicken, & Brisket, and one of the Best Burgers in Columbia! Family Owned and Operated since 1953.
Raleigh, North Carolina
“Some of the worst bbq I've ever had”
Reviewed December 23, 2013

I know that SC tends to go with some mustard bbq and I'm totally okay with that and was more than willing to try it. I ended up stopping by here for some lunch, expecting to have some pretty good barbecue. I was unfazed by the exterior, I know good bbq are sometimes hole-in-the-wall type establishments. I left very disappointed.

I ordered a combo and received fries, some bbq that tasted like it came out of the can, and had absolutely no flavor except for the bbq sauce it was in. They give you a little 10 cent roll and the slaw was awful too. I ate the fries, had a couple bites of the rest and that was it. A challenge to eat and it wasn't cheap either. It also took a while to get the food together. Maybe some of the other locations are better, but for this particular location, stay away. That said, I'll never visit any other location based on this experience.

• Visited September 2013

Asheville, NC
“A small, hot, dirty place to get gas station quality bbq”
Reviewed June 24, 2013

This place is in a tiny busted up building, not like the other locations I have been to. The A/C was busted so the interior was well over 100 degrees in the SC sun. With only one staff member who was high school aged shuffling through boxes to find buns and spoons, the service was extremely slow. They were also out of several items on the menu. The bathroom (single) was outside and unclean. Plan on spending at least $10/person for bbq that tastes like it comes from a can. The term "real pit" takes on a an entirely different meaning here.

• Visited June 2013
Crescent City, Florida
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Excellent food and service despite new teeth.”
Reviewed June 18, 2013

WE had the JR Pig and both of us felt it was a large amount of food at a reasonable price. With servings of this size I didn't bother with supper after eating there at 11:33AM. They chopped my pork twice to accommodate my new teeth and sore gums. Even as a sixty year 'Yankee" I felt the Hush Puppies were certainly some of the best I've ever eaten. Outside of this restaurant can stand some help but don't be afraid of the tall grass outside, what you find inside makes up for it. Very courteous staff and clean eating and cooking areas.

• Visited June 2013
Ashburn, Virginia
“Yummy BBQ”
Reviewed April 20, 2013

Visited this Columbia BBQ legendary eatery today for lunch and my first taste of SC mustard based pork BBQ and it was fantastic. The staff is genuinely nice and explained all the menu choices. I had the Little Joe BBQ pork basket which includes a BBQ pork sandwich, fries, hush puppies and very good homemade coleslaw; everything was very good and truly yummy. There are 14 locations in SC and the restaurant on Devine Street is easy to get to from I-77. I will have to go back and not "pig out" on BBQ so I can taste the Pork Skins and Banana Pudding! And a if you don't want to get out of your car, there's a drive-in, the inside dining area is simple, clean and cozy.

• Visited April 2013
carolyns236, Manager at Maurice's Piggie Park BBQ, responded to this review, April 23, 2013
Melanie, thank you so much for taking the time to write us a review about your great experience. So glad you enjoyed our delicious pit-cooked bbq and also our service. We will pass along your praises to the staff. Thanks again, and come back to eat with us (with a big appetite) soon!
Baltimore, Maryland
“All the Maurice's around Columbia ROCK!”
Reviewed April 1, 2013

The hash is a favorite, good vegetables and pulled pork is a staple. Nice sweet tea with real lemon wedges available. Anytime we are near here we eat and/or get take out to bring home.

Visited February 2013