“Good Value”

Cuisines: Barbecue
Good for: Local cuisine, Large groups, Families with children
Dining options: Breakfast, Dinner, Buffet
Reviewed July 6, 2013 via mobile

My girlfriend and I saw this on tripadvisor during a short stay in Columbia and decided to give it a try. The price was great and the food was very good. A great southern variety. The seating and atmosphere are bare bones - it's all about the food. The staff is mostly focused on keeping the buffet stocked. We did not have to wait for a table and were able to fill our plates immediately. I would not call it the best BBQ I have had but it was certainly up there - especially for the price.

1  Thank codered1126

Reviewed June 18, 2013

I eat here a couple of times each year and was here most recently on Father's Day with my family. It was very busy but we only had to wait about 10 minutes. I do not come here more often because I overeat on every visit so I can't do it very often. We save this place for those "pig out" occasions. This restaurant is a Columbia landmark that burned down several years ago and was rebuilt, almost exactly like the old restaurant. The buffet has three kinds of BBQ -- mustard, ketchup and vinegar based -- as well as all of the barbeque buffet staples such as two kinds of rice, liver hash, cole slaw, potato salad, pasta salad, pork & beans, collards, hushpuppies, corn, fried chicken, okra and tomatoes, livers, gizzards, mac & cheese, chicken pot pie, fried okra, ribs, sliced pork and more that I do not remember. The thing that is unusual in my experience is a large piece of barbequed pig that is available in the front of the dining room (under a heat lamp) for you to pick exactly what you want from it, along with all of their sauces so you can pick off some meat and then apply just the right amount of sauce -- or eat it plain as my wife does! Of course there are tea and soft drinks, banana pudding and chocolate pudding for dessert. The price is very reasonable and they have senior citizen and children prices. If you want old fashioned barbeque and "fixins", this is the place to go in Columbia -- just off of I-20 at Alpine Road, its very easy to find. (There is also an older lady there who works continuously cleaning off tables, and pretty much everything else that needs to be done in the dining area. Most people do not think of leaving her a tip but she deserves one more

2  Thank mfweave
Reviewed June 16, 2013

I have been going here since they opened 30+ years ago and I can say that, they have always served great BBQ pork, ribs and chicken. As with any GOOD southern BBQ buffet it is only open the last half of the week, got strong southern sweet tea, banana pudding, rice & hash and even greens. I always like the pulling bar, for those who like to select the meat from the smoked pork butt. Simple but awesome southern food.

I ate there last Friday and by the time we left the line had swelled to about 50 outside the door. There is a reason so many people are willing to wait in 90 degree heat.

1  Thank doasc
Reviewed June 15, 2013

Went on a Thursday at 12:15 PM and the line was out the door. They had reserved the back tables for a private party and were not letting anyone in until someone came out. After waiting 15 minutes we left and will not be back. The food is good, but it used to be first come first served. Now that they are taking reservations, you may have to wait an hour to get in. A lot of people come here on their lunch break so they cannot wait. Well there are a lot of great places to eat in the area so we will pass on Little Pigs in the future.

Reviewed May 29, 2013

This is a great place to get a sample of southern cooking for a yankee. My fiancee and I had this recommended to us by a local and it was with the trip out there. We were there on a Saturday evening and it was busy, but things move thru pretty quickly. There is at least 35 items to try so we started with very small portions so we could try everything. The sides are good and a huge variety, but the real star of the buffet is the pork. They have vinegar, mustard, and tomato based pulled pork (in order of my favorites) they are all very good. Worth the trip, and low price for a buffet, not to mention the experience.

1  Thank todd54220