“Not what we expecte”

Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Reservations
sc
“Not what we expecte”
Reviewed January 11, 2014

We made reservations here after reading the reviews on Tripadvisor. We were celebrating a very special occasion and they were willing to accommodate 9 people. They are having serious issues with their kitchen culinary staff and management. We sat for 50 minutes after the salad course with no explanation for the delay. Nothing was offered for our inconvenience and by the time the food arrived everyone was so disappointed. The food is extremely overpriced for the value and quantity. I am surprised in their customer service and hope this will help others in selecting a very nice place with quality food and service. Please select one of the other fine dining places in Columbia for your next outing.

• Visited January 2014

Columbia SC
“Garibaldi's is one of my favorite places to eat in Columbia”
Reviewed December 18, 2013 credit card Amex Card Member Review

One of my favorite restaurants in Columbia, SC – I have been eating their since 1991. They are consistently great on service and food. They can be a little noisy when they are full and the tables sometimes seem a little tight. But the food is always so wonderful I don’t care. They are only open for dinner and parking in the 5-Points area is always tight so I usually valet park right in front of the restaurant.
If you make reservations and have a party of 2 to 4 – ask for a booth – they are more private. Reservations are recommended especially on Friday and Saturday nights. The Flounder is their signature dish, but any seafood they serve (always fresh) is great. I usually order from their nightly specials – as these are often dishes that have the little extra touch. My favorite desert there is the Almond Basket filled with scoop of vanilla ice cream and fresh berries.

Visited November 2013
1 Thank Scuba_StClaire
Beaufort, South Carolina
“Nice experience”
Reviewed December 8, 2013

Garibaldi's is an easy drive from central Columbia. The menu is interesting, the food is good, and the service is good while being a little highbrow at the same time. I was dining with a party of 14 in this medium-sized restaurant, and the staff was good about accommodating us. Two in our party had eaten here the night before, and with all the excellent restaurant choices in Columbia, this speaks well of Garibaldi's! I believe that all 14 of us liked their meals. I had a wonderful calamari antipasto as an appetizer, crispy flounder (a featured offering that is out of this world) and an excellent dessert "special". Ambiance is slightly upscale but enjoying oneself is OK!

If you park in front of the restaurant, there is valet parking that doesn't look like valet parking. I'm sure the valets appreciate the tips, but if you would rather do it yourself, don't park right in front.

If you are in the mood for a fine Italian restaurant, Garibaldi's is a good choice.

• Visited December 2013
1 Thank dbjennings
Sumter, South Carolina
“An Anniversary at Garibaldi's”
Reviewed November 25, 2013

Okay this is going to seem like a really weird review, but I'm going to tell you all about this so you can keep it in mind for your next special occasion.

We did something very special.  My husband took me to a (new to us) restaurant in Columbia, that a friend recommended, a bit expensive for us, but oh was it fantastic!
http://www.garibaldicolumbia.com. (Be sure to see the menu.)

The wine poached pear salad was beyond lovely, an explosion of flavors in every mouthful.  I couldn't stop my mind from hunting to identify all the various elements involved.  No doubt because I cook such a large variety of foods myself.  It was accompanied by a little ball, no bigger than a tablespoon, of blended blue cheese and ricotta, breaded and lightly fried.  Just a little creamy ball of delight.  I wanted my husband to share half of it, at the same time as I wanted to keep it all to myself.  He won out, I gave him half, actually half of the whole salad. It was just too good not to share!  His salad was also good.  His had a plethora of heirloom salad greens with roasted pine-nuts and a raspberry vinegarette.  We brought half of his home.

Oh and we chose one cup of butternut squash soup to share.  It was hearty, which seems like a direct contradiction when it comes to a puréed soup, yet it was all the flavors of Fall in every spoonful!  Do not think of store bought butternut squash soup, canned or boxed, because those are not in this soup's league. A cupful made just the right amount not to overwhelm.

Now you would think that was the best we could look forward to but wait, the entrées were still coming.  My husband ordered an entire WHOLE fried flounder that filled AND flapped off both ends of his plate. It didn't seem fried at all, because it wasn't breaded!  The chef (a real "keeper" that man) diamond scored the skin and flash fried it causing the skin to become an unrecognizably thin delicate crackle, and the whole thing was on a glistening pool of apricot glaze!  Yum!

I selected the wine braised short ribs surrounded by oven roasted, Fall, root vegetables on a puréed mound of polenta.  Sheesh, by the time I sampled bites of everything I didn't have room for much of mine, and we brought it home!  Yeah, dinner for tomorrow!  This I have to admit was higher priced than I thought it should be, considering. That said, the colorful vegetables were cooked to perfection with just enough firmness remaining to make them one of my favorites. My husband asked the waiter (who did a splendid job for us), when we come again if I could have these same vegetables only with the flounder, and he said I could. Happy days!

We didn't stop there, we shared a crème brûlée garnished with a rosy-red strawberry setting atop a dollop of freshly whipped cream.  The crème wasn't even remotely heavy or overly thick, just delicately vanilla with a golden crusted top, so thin it brings to mind the surface of a winter pond just beginning to freeze over.  In this case one you don't mind falling into.  The whole thing would make a French chef cry with envy! I'm laughing, no room for the chocolate mousse, we brought it home with us. Can't wait until tomorrow, as I just know it will be wonderful!

Oh and did I mention they brought us a multitiered candelabra, so we could celebrate under candle light?  LOL, yep.  :).  So all-and-all, yes we had a lovely anniversary! The Moores

• Visited November 2013
2 Thank ByCam
CHARLESTON
“Great meal”
Reviewed November 25, 2013

Out with my wife had a great meal. Waiter was friendly enough, the scallop appetizer was awesome as well. About the only complaint I had was it took too long to get our food. Fortunately I was with great company.

• Visited November 2013