“Beautiful Location”

Ranked #7 of 996 Restaurants in Columbia
Cuisines: American
Good for: Families with children, Large groups
Dining options: Dinner, Breakfast, Late Night, Lunch, Reservations
Description: Voted “Best Salad” 12 years running, by Free Times and Columbia Metropolitan, “Best Date Spot, Best Overall Restaurant and Best Place to Take your Parents” by USC’s The Daily Gamecock. Enjoy giant-sized fare from the California Dreaming kitchen; start with the Barbecue Chicken Nachos, then slow-cooked Prime Rib or a hearty pasta dish. The restaurant also features late night bar bites; large party carry-out and catering; live music and seasonal patio dining. The historic landmark building, Union Station, is located steps away from USC.
Reviewed July 29, 2013

The architecture of this restaurant is stunning. It is a very popular and busy place. We had the advantage of being part of a rather large group that had been booked, so we didn't have to wait to be seated. From the time we placed our order until the food was served was very quick, much quicker than I expected for a place so busy. The portions are rather large, but the flavor is excellent.

Reviewed July 10, 2013

My husband and I have wanted to go to California Dreaming in Columbia, SC for quite some time. The first time we were planning to go, we couldn't find parking. We found out that's a common theme with this restaurant next to the tracks.

We finally took advantage of the opportunity to go and decided to battle the frustration of finding parking. As soon as we walked into this converted train depot, I immediately felt at home. The high ceilings, hardwood floors, and attention to detail all made for an experience worthy of praise. The servers dressed in black, the white table clothes, and the dimmed lighting made for a wonderful pre-birthday celebratory dinner.

The house salad is fantastic, with plenty of substance to satisfy any appetite. It's even served with a warm croissant deliciously drizzled with honey butter. Our server was polite and more than willing to help us navigate the menu. Outside of all of the positives about this restaurant, it was pleasantly relaxing, without our server rushing us through our meal or trying to push us out the door by presenting us with the bill before we were ready. It was obvious to us that the clientele is first and a foremost priority.

1  Thank Sally Z
Reviewed July 8, 2013

Stopped by for a late night quick bite after a local soccer game. Had the BBQ Chicken Nachos for appetizer and split the Dreaming salad. The nachos are a meal themselves, and the salad can feed four people easily. Service was prompt and really enjoyed the food. Next time, I will get the specialty, prime rib.

Reviewed July 7, 2013

I had she crab soup which was very good. The salad was decent. I also had a virgin pina colada which was tasty. The croissants were very good. Overall a good experience. The menu has changed.

Reviewed June 20, 2013

The view from the back dining room is terrific. I had the Salmon and it was definitely the best Salmon I have ever had. It was SO GOOD that I chose to go back to the restaurant the following night so that I could order it again! The green beans are served with just a bit of a crunch, and the salad that comes with the meal is a meal in itself!

1  Thank Apple051979