“1st time here”

Ranked #7 of 1,004 Restaurants in Columbia
Cuisines: American
Good for: Families with children, Large groups
Dining options: Breakfast, Lunch, Dinner, Late Night, Reservations
Description: Awarded Best Salad, 17 years running -Free Times reader survey, 2017 & The State, 2017 and Best Business Lunch -The State, 2017; Best Restaurant to Take a Date and Restaurant to Take your Parents -The Daily Gamecock, 2016. Enjoy giant-sized fare from the California Dreaming kitchen; start with the Barbecue Chicken Nachos, then slow-cooked Prime Rib or a hearty pasta dish. The restaurant also features large party catering, online ordering for carry-out, live music and seasonal patio dining. Attn USC students: CarolinaCard accepted! The historic landmark building, Union Station, is located steps away from USC.
Reviewed April 7, 2013

I never went here while in school here (went plenty of times to Greens next door to get alcohol) but came here for the 1st time in April 2013. This place is way bigger than it looks from the outside. Having eaten at their other brands, we knew we couldn't go wrong here. You have to make sure you get a salad with the house dressing and the sweet croissant. I would have no problem having one for appetizer and two more for the main course. Everything we had was good and I have no problem coming here again when in Columbia.

1  Thank fatubus

Reviewed March 31, 2013

They serve croissants drizzled with honey which I think are better then the beignets of new Orleans. Put a little powdered sugar on them and you would give cafe de mundo a run for its money. My oyster salad was very good. The pasta the kids had was very good. I loved the she crab soup with sherry. It is loaded with crab. On the negative I have had better Caesar salad and the soup, should be thickened with arrowroot instead of flour since you cant cook it long enough or hot enough to cook the flour. The oysters and shrimp had a coating that was light and did not take away from the seafood. Service was excellent. The vodka tonics were the best.

2  Thank Themenace4
Reviewed March 28, 2013 via mobile

I was staying at the local Marriott and was able to walk to CA Dreaming on a Thursday night. They had great drink specials, a one man band playing awesome Paul Simon and Bob Dylan jams by the bar, and the lobster shrimp nachos were soooo amazing. I do suggest a side of hot sauce with it, but overall I was so happy with this find.

Reviewed March 22, 2013

It is a good place to go if celebrating with a large crowd. It is near the campus of USC and is always crowded. The food is overpriced for the quality. But it is a fun atmosphere.

Reviewed March 18, 2013

I had been looking forward to eating at California Dreaming because of the ambiance and since I had heard so much about it. I must say I was sadly disappointed. Other than the She Crab Soup, which was amazing, I was not impressed with any of the meals we ordered. The food was a little bland and my medanlion fillet mignon looked like really small hamburger patties. Also the alcoholic drinks were really weak. I rally wanted to like this place but that wasn't the case. Our server was nice, but seemed really inexpierenced especially when he would handed us our food infront of everybody's face.

1  Thank Ellie H
CA_Centraarchy, Public Relations Manager at California Dreaming Restaurant & Bar, responded to this reviewResponded March 22, 2013

Dear Ellie, We love the She-Crab Soup too, especially when it's topped with sherry! Thank you for taking the time to share with us. In regards to the Petite Filet Mignon medallions, the order is for two 3 oz. medallions served in combination with our fried shrimp. We are very sorry that we did not meet your expectations. Thank you for your patronage.