“Overrated”

Cuisines: Japanese
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed December 1, 2015 via mobile

A little surprised that this restaurant has such good reviews. Fair to middling sushi at very expensive prices. Maybe Columbia's best sushi but not great in a broader context.
$60 (inc tip) for a beer and a one-person sushi meal seems excessive for sushi that was pretty ordinary.

Date of visit: December 2015

Reviewed April 25, 2015 via mobile

I came here to celebrate my friend's birthday during an anime convention. When I got there, I was kinda worried since they weren't busy, and I'd figure during an anime convention, any Japanese restaurant within walking distance would be packed.

The place is easy to miss, and the decor is pretty bland, especially considering how much you pay for the food. The bathrooms are also located down a kind of dark hallway outside the restaurant.

BUT...the food was amazing. Our server was very good. She gave us a sushi roll to start off with, that was amazing. The plain white rice was perfect. It was the ideal Japanese rice that was very sticky and flavorful. I didn't have to add any soy sauce. I got a sampler that had various types of both sushi and sashimi. It was phenomenal and beautifully presented. I frequently say it was the best sushi I've ever ate.

Reviewed February 27, 2015 via mobile

My wife and I have been coming here for 5 years now and it's always great... we used to come 1-2 times a week when we lived close but still come from Blythewood almost every week.

We learned to eat sushi here starting with the rolls and progressed to where we eat everything from eel to octopus nigiri. I travel a lot for work and the wife comes along sometimes and we've never found anywhere as good, even in nyc.

The place isn't flashy or fancy. Mr Kobayashi just makes quality sushi the way it's supposed to be. The place has been around 30 years, long before many knew what sushi even was.

A couple of cool things about this place.... one, Mr Kobayashi gives you a half roll of his choice for you to try with each order. Two, some of these rolls are "secret rolls" that aren't on the menu such as the crunchy spicy crab roll and the bar roll, two of our favs. Finally, all of the people are friendly and remember regulars. Mr. Kobayashi ALWAYS says thank you to leaving customers even when he's very busy preparing sushi.

We used to come when there would hardly be anyone else there. Now, they're slammed with business nearly every time. I guess the word has spread...

Reviewed January 11, 2015

This place is reminiscent of the authentic Japanese Sushi bars you hear about from Japan- less about decoration and all about food. Open for 30 years, the chef has it down. He opened and has kept going in the same place ever since. We sat at a table, but next time we'll sit at the sushi bar. The nigiri was appropriately sized for 1 bite (uncommon in the USA). The sushi was very fresh and appropriately seasoned. The tea was very nice.
We can't wait to go back!

Date of visit: November 2014
Reviewed December 27, 2014

Wanted to spare the cooks from another day over the stove and also have something a bit lighter for dinner after a very heavy meal on Christmas Day. Camon did not disappoint. As I said in a previous review, Camon is not the first Japanese restaurant that most people in Columbia think of, but after nearly 30 years it certainly has established a reputation with those who know!

Date of visit: December 2014