“pleasurable first visit”

Delhi Palace
Ranked #224 of 965 Restaurants in Columbia
Cuisines: Indian
Good for: Large groups, Families with children
Description: A large number of vegetarian & non-vegetarian dishes. South indian & indo-chinese. Lunch buffet 7days a week. Dinner buffet Fri, Sat & Sunday. Catering for all ocations. Best indian restaurant.
columbia, sc
“pleasurable first visit”
Reviewed August 23, 2014

after seeing delhi palace pick up local awards year after year in the local papers, touting them as the go-to place for indian fare in the greater columbia metro area, my lunch companion and i decided to see what they had to offer.

upon our arrival at the restaurant, we were promptly greeted, shown to a table, and asked if we'd like to partake of the lunch buffet. after perusing the two tables full of selections ranging from simple salad to chicken tikka masala to various desserts, we accepted the invitation. at less than $10/person, the lunch buffet is very reasonably priced. each of us had two plates piled with food, plus dessert, and i think between the two of us we tested out about 85% of the culinary options.

the restaurant was pretty busy, and i was impressed by how well our waitress stayed on top of little things, like clearing plates from the tables and refilling our beverages. we went on a particularly hot day, and i must have drained my water glass at least four times. each time, it stood empty for no more than a minute.

my only complaints are that the waitress had no idea to handle the fairly commonplace coupon i presented to her (it's from the local entertainment book, yet she told me they could not accept it), and that it would have been nice to see a couple more dessert options- even something as simple as fresh fruit would be wonderful.

• Visited August 2014

• Korean first
“Not so good”
Reviewed July 28, 2014

We tried the buffet and it was not so good. The food was not very fresh and the naan was burned. Also, there was only one server at lunch. It took forever to have your drink refilled. Go to Punjabi Dhaba on Bush River instead.

• Visited July 2014
Alameda, California
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Awful food”
Reviewed July 8, 2014 via mobile

We tried lunch buffet and it was horrible. Food was tasteless and cold. That was the worst Indian food I ever tasted. I will not recommend this restaurant to anybody. God only knows what type food was that and which country was that from. Surely not from India lol.

Greenville, South Carolina
“Awful restaurant that adds compulsory tip for a buffet”
Reviewed June 18, 2014

As an Indian I know what good Indian food should taste like and this was truly awful. I went based on the online reviews and it being close to where we started. Big mistake.

We were just 2 couples with 2 small children. They suggested the buffet. I should have known that buffet at 8 PM means only one thing. It means that the food is old and reheated. Yup. It was the afternoon food that just got reheated. Stale reheated Indian food should not be eaten.

On top of that it was $13 per head and a compulsory 17% tip was added even though we had to serve ourselves. I was just not int he mood to create a scene to have that removed and to let me decide on the tip amount.

Avoid this place at all costs. There must be better Indian places in Columbia.

• Visited May 2014
1 Thank greenvillehybrid
Kent, Washington
“Full value”
Reviewed June 1, 2014 via mobile

I liked their food. Delicious. You will get full value of your price. More versatile verities of foods. More choices of vegetable dishes. Curry are very tasty. Overall great place to eat.

1 Thank Nepalisunil