“Motor Supply is one of my favorite restaurants anywhere!”

Motor Supply Co. Bistro
Reserve with OpenTable
Motor Supply Co. Bistro is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #6 of 1,026 Restaurants in Columbia
Cuisines: American
Good for: Romantic, Business meetings, Local cuisine, Special occasions
Dining options: Lunch, Late Night, Dinner, Breakfast, Reservations
Dining style: Fine Dining
Cross street: Park and Lincoln Sts.
Transit: There are several transit stops throughout the vista and downtown area, one of which is located half a block away from us. Taxis are also readily available.
Description: Located in the historic Congaree Vista with a heated patio and free valet parking, Motor Supply has been serving progressive, New World cuisine using classic French culinary techniques for over 20 years. Led by Executive Chef Wesley Fulmer, the kitchen's lunch, dinner and brunch handwritten menus change daily, featuring contemporary New American cuisine, with nods to Creole, Cajun, New Southern, French, Italian and Asian cuisine. We are Columbia's foremost "farm to fork" restaurant, working with local, sustainable farms for produce, meats, SC seafood and more. Seafood is caught off of the Carolina coast, and all of our stocks, sauces and desserts are made on site, including our charcuterie, with house-made sausages, bacon, country pate, and rillettes, all the way down to the pickles and mustard. Our early 19th century, solid-oak bar with marble columns, imported from Europe, serves 180+ fine wines (Wine Spectator's Award of Excellence, 2006-12), an extensive list of imported, domestic and local craft beers, as well as an artisan farm-to-shaker cocktail list made from house-infused liquors, handmade bitters, barrel-aged spirits and locally-sourced ingredients and garnishes.
Reviewed August 27, 2009

Motor Supply is one of my favorite restaurants anywhere! The people are attentive and the food is the best! Because they change their menu every day, it keeps me from getting in a rut, like I do in some other places. I have ordered everything from the Lobster Tempura (!!!!) to the filet, to the salmon, to the lamb and I have always been impressed. Definitely a great place to take a date or meet friends, but leave the children at home. Sunday brunch is great and the wine list is one of the best.

Reviewed July 24, 2009

Me and my fiance had dinner at motor supply last month and everything exceeded my expectations. Gervais and Vine has always been my favorite restaurant in Columbia, but Motor Supply is right up there with it. We went on a special Bistecca Fiorentine night where they had a huge cut of steak prepared as in Florence. From the moment we were seated and served everything was perfect. The steak was awesome and the accompaning dishes were very good as well. The chef came out to our table three different times first to show us the cut of meat before it was cooked and to reccomend how to cook it. Then he came out after he pulled it off the grill and explained to us how it would be served. Finally, he brought the steak out and it was just about gone by the time we left. I will definately eat here again and will probably split my nights out between here and Gervais and Vine.

1  Thank turnernation
Reviewed June 27, 2009

Interesting food selections - daily menu featuring local Low Country cooking. Pork with citrus sauces seems to be a local Columbia favorite, as is shrimp of all types and grits which are milled locally. Its the usual "upscale resturant in an old funky downtown building" - ok but nothing special. Excellent service. Appitizers $8-12, entrees $18-26. Use the valet parking - the lot is very small and tight.

Reviewed June 27, 2009

I went with a friend on a Wednesday night around 7:30 - we were seated immediately.
I ordered the Filet Mignon entree and my friend ordered the White Tiger Shirmp with sausage gravy. My food was okay and his food was great.
They specialize in infused vodkas with different fruits and even one with bacon. We inquired and were given a sample of the bacon infused vodka - which was unique. They told us it was great in a bloody mary, but we did not try one. We shared the key lime pie for dessert. I had a beer and my friend had 2 glasses of red wine - our total bill with tip was $118.00
I thought that it was a little expensive and my entree was average. The atmosphere and decoration is very nice and unique and the small size of the restaurant is also nice for less noise, etc. I would go back and try and different entree.

Reviewed May 16, 2009

We loved MSC!!! Found it randomly on the internet and called to see if we could swing an early dinner there with our 3.5 year old. They were very welcoming. We went early - 5:30 - so as not to cramp other diners. We sat on the cozy patio and it was lovely. The chef prepared a special dinner for our daughter since they do not have a kids menu. She enjoyed som eolives for an appetizer and a delicious grilled cheese with green beans followed by a load o ffresh strawberries. Meanwhile we enjoyed a fabulous beet salad as well as a NY Strip that was perfectlygrilled and fresh shrimp sauteed in a champgane cream sauce with vegetables and something similar to but heavier than grits. It was superb. We had more wine from the great wine list for dessert and look forward to returning if we find ourselves in Columbia again. I did rate it not good for families with children though because in my opinion, it's not a family restaurant. It's parent's night out restaurant. We were in from out of town and didn't have that option so we winged it and they were very accommodating. We made a point of going as early as possible. With older or really, really well behaved kids I'd say go for it but I would respect other diners and go early or for lunch if there are small children in your group.