“Great food, great service, lots of fun”

Motor Supply Co. Bistro
Reserve with OpenTable
Motor Supply Co. Bistro is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #3 of 996 Restaurants in Columbia
Cuisines: American
Good for: Local cuisine, Special occasions, Romantic, Business meetings
Dining options: Dinner, Breakfast, Lunch, Late Night, Reservations
Dining style: Fine Dining
Cross street: Park and Lincoln Sts.
Transit: There are several transit stops throughout the vista and downtown area, one of which is located half a block away from us. Taxis are also readily available.
Description: Located in the historic Congaree Vista with a heated patio and free valet parking, Motor Supply has been serving progressive, New World cuisine using classic French culinary techniques for over 20 years. Led by Executive Chef Wesley Fulmer, the kitchen's lunch, dinner and brunch handwritten menus change daily, featuring contemporary New American cuisine, with nods to Creole, Cajun, New Southern, French, Italian and Asian cuisine. We are Columbia's foremost "farm to fork" restaurant, working with local, sustainable farms for produce, meats, SC seafood and more. Seafood is caught off of the Carolina coast, and all of our stocks, sauces and desserts are made on site, including our charcuterie, with house-made sausages, bacon, country pate, and rillettes, all the way down to the pickles and mustard. Our early 19th century, solid-oak bar with marble columns, imported from Europe, serves 180+ fine wines (Wine Spectator's Award of Excellence, 2006-12), an extensive list of imported, domestic and local craft beers, as well as an artisan farm-to-shaker cocktail list made from house-infused liquors, handmade bitters, barrel-aged spirits and locally-sourced ingredients and garnishes.
Reviewed April 25, 2013

We had a terrific evening at Motor Supply Company on the Friday night of Masters' week. This was our first night in Columbia and we just showed up at the restauarnt around 8:00 without reservations. We were told to expect a 45 minute wait so we went to the bar and joined other couples at the long table in the bar. Turned out that they were from Virginia as well, from very near where I live. When they left for a table two other couples sat down, one from Virginia. Our wait turned out to be less than 30 minutes. Our waiter was terrific. We inquired about a number of menu items and he gave us his VERY frank opinion of each, the good and the less good. We chose a couple of the specials and they were terrific as well. Service was prompt, the house cabernet was tasty, and the people watching was first rate. All that and valet parking too!

Reviewed April 19, 2013

Happened across this while walking around in the Vista area of Columbia. No reservations, but got seated right away. Ordered a special, fried lobster tail. They substituted out some sides for us, which I always appreciate. Food was very good, lobster cooked perfectly. Service was fast and efficient, but I did feel like I was being rushed for the table to be "turned over".

Reviewed April 12, 2013

My husband had eaten here before and suggested it. I looked at the menu and I wasn't sure that anything appealed to my tasted buds but I was pleasantly Surprised. Our server suggested the Pork Porterhouse with mash potatoes with mushroom gravy...It was really good. The pork porterhouse was a thick cut a little too much for me to eat in one sitting even though I was trying to because it was so good. A classy rustic style restaurant. The menu changes often so you may want to check online to see the current menu.

Reviewed April 12, 2013

This is always a must when we visit Columbia. Hand written menu daily. Everything from the appetizers to desserts are well done and delicious. Presentation is beautiful and tasty as they use all fresh local ingredients. We've gone to the brunch several times and it was delicious as well. Lots of southern influence - a unique Columbia restaurant.

Reviewed April 11, 2013

We had high expectations of this place, and left disappointed.

We started with some cocktails at the bar (our table was not ready when we arrived) and they were atrocious. I was excited to see that the bar had a large selection of home made infusions, so was looking forward to a unique experience - wrong...well it was unique, in that it was so terrible. I hate to be so harsh, but for $10 a pop and the effort the bar tender put into then, I was expecting something at least palatable.

Once seated we ordered the cheese and charcuterie appetizers to share. The cheese was great, and the charcuterie had potential, but was a little on the sweet side for our liking.

For the main, three of us ordered the pork, one the lamb. Now I know this place prides itself on modern cooking techniques - sous vide being one of them, but it would appear that what they cook with this method is borderline raw.

While we were there a patron next to us was livid his duck was so undercooked. When our lamb arrived, I knew where he was coming from. Save a 1 or 2 mm cooked area on the outside the meat was completely, completely red and unappealing. Flavourful though.

The pork took the opposite tack - although one was requested well done, they were all pretty tough and leathery (tasty though).

In short the meals are tasty, but know going in that anyone who likes their food cooked beyond rare, might be in for a surprise.

Service was very good. Our server was friendly and the food arrived in good time. The space also has a total hipster vibe going on and looks great.