“Luscious Lunch Spot”

Hampton Street Vineyard
Reserve with OpenTable
Hampton Street Vineyard is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #26 of 993 Restaurants in Columbia
Cuisines: American, French
Good for: Romantic
Dining options: Dinner, Reservations
Dining style: Fine Dining
Cross street: Main
Description: The Hampton Street Vineyard - Urban Cool Below the Sidewalk Conveniently located in the heart of downtown Columbia, across the street from the Marriott Hotel and next door to the award winning Columbia Museum of Art. Winner of Wine Spectator's Best of Award of Excellence for 17 years, Hampton Street Vineyard features seasonal menus focusing on local products with a global interpretation. In other words, your mouth will thank you!
Reviewed April 27, 2013

Tucked away on a side street and just below the sidewalk, this intimate eatery is fabulous. The menu is small but mighty. Food delicious and well served. Price is reasonable for the ambiance and meal. Extensive wine list.

1  Thank Cricket W
There are newer reviews for Hampton Street Vineyard

Reviewed April 15, 2013

We were so excited to try this restaurant but left unimpressed. Our waitress was rude and made us feel unwelcome. We ordered the crab cake appetizer which was a soggy mess. It fell apart as soon as I tried to move it over on to my plate. I'm sure there was some crab in there but it tasted like hot mayonaise. We also order the filet and short ribs which were just ok. No flavor and very uninspiring. For the amount of money they charge, food should not be just ok, it should be amazing. Quality food and service are what truly matter and that was what lacking most with our experience. Cute decor but get rid of the outdated silk flowers.

2  Thank Viewnear
Reviewed April 12, 2013

Went to dinner here on the recommendation of a friend.We recently moved to Columbia and would never have noticed the place if not looking for it. It reminds me of bars below ground level in the DC area when we lived there. It was just my wife and I so we sat at the bar. The bartender Michelle was great even if she was in the weeds. We split the flash fried oysters for starters and it was delicious. My wife had the salmon on cous cous and I the stuffed bell pepper and both were very good. This may be my new favorite bar/restuarant in Columbia. The food doesn't measure up to Friendly's or Soltice, but it's not far off.

1  Thank Michael H
Reviewed March 12, 2013

I recently ate at Hampton Steet Vineyard for a business supper with 9 other busness colleagues. It was my first time, but some of the others had eaten there before and stated the food was good and the wine list was outstanding, but no one was jumping through hoops excited about that being the choice of dining. But, since we weren't paying, the choice wasn't ours.

We had reservations at 7 and we went as a group and all arrived a couple of minutes early and were immediatley seated. It was obvious our waiter was a not orginially from SC by his spoken word and deameanor. His hair was unkempt and his facial expression were less than friendly...no smile....with the personality of a Bull Street escapee. It took several minutes for him to come back to us after we were seated and with this place supposedly having a world class wine list, we ended up having to ask for the wine list to be brough to us. Several minutes went by and he finally returned with menus and left once again. After more time expired, he finally came back for appetizer and drink orders. Those were placed and he left. More time passed and he finally brought the bottles of wine that were ordred. I didn't partake of the wine, but those who did said it was good to excellent. The resturant was crowded and the background noise was so loud, it was impossible to carry on a normal conversation with the person sitting next to you without elevating your voice. Within 15 minutes, I felt like a headached was coming on, but thankfully I guess most of the guests there arrived earlier and as time passed and people left, the noise level went down proportionately. The waiter had a hard time hearing the orders.

Baskets of bread of were fianlly brought and dinner oders were taken. One hour after arriving, our appetizers were delivered, which were good. Another 40 minutes went by before our entrees made the table and mine was wrong. I had ordered a grilled filet of beer, but without bleu cheese demi. I explained what I had ordered to the waiter and why I wanted to return the food. He left and came back and told me had checked his order ticket and I was right (duh!)........and he was right in how he entered the order.....and then went on to explain to me how it was the kitchen's fault. Yayda.....which I thought was very unprofessional, as was him never apologizing for the mistake.

He returned almost immediately with another entree that looked like it had been thrown on the plate from one side of the room to the other. I had orderd a steak cooked medium,, but this steak was obviously very well done after cutting into it. I can eat that way and did...because I just wasn't going to fight that battle again.

The steak was advertsied as grilled, but it tasted more like a piece of roast beef. Most everyone said their entrees were good to very good.

Desserts were ordered and most said they were very good to delicious. There was one item on the dessert menu that a couple of collegues asked the waiter how to pronounce and he didn't know....again, very unprofessional.

So, 2 hours and 40 minutes from the time we got there until the time we left was a nightmare for me. I willl note there was no sitting around after dessert to talk and chat. Once everyone finished, everybody said they were ready to go.

First impressions are lasting impressions and as my title implies, I was less than impressed as a first impression. The wait service was slow and unprofessional, the steak did not have a grilled flavor and really didn't taste like a steak, and it took an extended period of time for this dinner to take place. For the amount of money they charge, I expect a lot better than what I got.

I might give this resturant a second try only if someone else were paying. But, once was enough for me to realize I will not spend my hard earne money there.

2  Thank MountainMan1252
Reviewed March 6, 2013

The manager seemed less than pleased when our lunch party of eleven arrived before the restaurant had a chance to fill even though we were more than happy to sit at three separate tables. They were adjacent to one another, yet we had three different servers. Two were good and one was not. Having said that, everyone gave high ratings to the food.

1  Thank BrentFinch