“AMAZING TASTY CUPCAKES”
Review of Cupcake DownSouth

Cupcake DownSouth
Ranked #2 of 19 Bakeries in Columbia
Dining options: Delivery
Description: Cupcake DownSouth’s three locally owned bakeries bake both classic and creative concoctions using the finest all-natural ingredients, like real vanilla beans, sweet cream butter, fresh fruit, and rich chocolate. We top them with our signature homemade icing, colorful sprinkles, candies, chocolate-covered almonds, chocolate chips, and more. Take your pick - we offer a dozen flavors daily from our collection of more than 50 flavors! We also offer our famous Cake Shakes (cupcake milkshakes), Cake Quakes (cupcake ice cream sandwiches), Pupcakes (cupcakes especially for dogs), After Dark alcohol-infused cupcakes, wedding & baby shower cupcakes & desserts, our signature Red Velvet coffee, and much more. Now you can order online for pickup at one of our bakeries, or call in your order for Uber Eats to deliver to you, too. Stop by and make life sweet today!
Reviewed April 2, 2018

They have a slew of all different flavors of cupcakes! I have been in a while back but always forget they are around until a special event comes up. It was a friend of mine's birthday last week and his favorite flavor is Coconut so I called and they had a "Loco for Coco" flavor available. I stared at all of the cupcakes like a kid in a candy store. I have bought some for my office before and they always get rave reviews. The taste is delicious! The cupcakes seem to most persons to be high in cost but for as big as they are and as delicious I would actually say it's reasonable ($5 ea), especially when you pay at least $8-10 for dessert at other restaurants.

Date of visit: March 2018
Kristin C, Owner at Cupcake DownSouth, responded to this reviewResponded April 11, 2018

GraceyJC, thank you so much for your review! You've really made our day. The Loco for Coco is a favorite around here so your friend has good taste! (I should note that our regular cupcakes are actually $3.15 each, but if you enjoyed any of our gluten free, vegan, or After Dark alcohol-infused cupcakes, which are $3.95, or our Cake Shakes, which are $5.95, with tax it would be nearer the $5 range you mentioned ... and I am definitely with you re: restaurant desserts!) I will share your review with our bakery crew; they will be absolutely delighted.

Reviewed March 20, 2018 via mobile

We went there for an after dinner treat on St. Patrick’s Day. This was later in the evening and they weren’t busy. The staff rushed my daughter, who is an older teen, even though no one else was in the store. I tried the Guinness cupcake and the icing was hard and the cake was very dry. Y’all make one thing and it’s not fresh? My daughter tried the chocolate cupcake and it was also dry. There are other options nearby and we will look at them next time we go to Columbia.

Date of visit: March 2018

Oh no! I'm so sorry to hear your experience wasn't up to our standards - not even close. It's crushing to read this. I hope you'll give us another chance since our cupcakes should never be dry; we bake them fresh every single day. Please let me know personally when you and your daughter will be in Columbia next and allow me to invite you to sample the cupcake flavors of your choice on us!

Reviewed December 6, 2017

The aroma alone will make your mouth water. There's too many flavors and colors to list. Whether your passion is red velvet, chocolate mint, etc. it's waiting for you. They have a small, cozy dining area also

Date of visit: November 2017
Kristin C, Owner at Cupcake DownSouth, responded to this reviewResponded February 2, 2018

Thank you so much for taking time to write this review! I'm glad you enjoyed your visit, and agree with you about the aroma; it's always great to walk in and smell the cupcakes baking, even for me after all these years!

Reviewed October 3, 2017

A bakery dedicated to cupcakes. I bought mixed dozen. Every one was amazing. the after dark bourbon cupcake has now taken the lead as my favorite sweet ever. Big cupcakes with a mound of frosting! staff was friendly, airy clean kitchen where the cupcakes are made and a beautiful wall of cupcakes to choose from. i will return here again!

Date of visit: September 2017
2  Thank em l
Kristin C, Owner at Cupcake DownSouth, responded to this reviewResponded October 20, 2017

Thank you so much, em! I'm so glad you enjoyed your cupcakes. (I'm a big fan of the bourbon pecan cupcakes too) I'll pass along your positive comments to our staff - they'll be glad to hear it! Come back again any time

Reviewed September 23, 2017 via mobile

we tried these out and literally they were very beautiful, but kind of dry and dense. I don't know, but I've had better cupcakes that were far more moist and much less expensive. at $17 for half a dozen cupcakes, I guess I was expecting more than a mountain of icing atop a dry piece of cake. not bad, but not great either. Likely won't be returning.

Date of visit: September 2017

Oh, no! I'm dismayed to hear that your cakes were dry. That is definitely not what we are known for! If I can talk you into coming back one more time, I'd recommend for you the Southern Red Velvet cupcakes, which are especially moist - they're our bestselling flavor. Please let the manager know about my response here on TripAdvisor and she will give you one to sample free of charge.