“Different”

Maurice's Piggie Park BBQ
Ranked #554 of 973 Restaurants in Columbia
Cuisines: Barbecue
Description: Real BBQ, Cooked on our Hickory Wood-Fired Pits for 24 Hours!We cook our BBQ the old fashioned way, over hickory coals for 24 hours to optimize that smoky flavor with no preservatives or chemicals! Taste our Ribs, Chicken, & Brisket, and one of the Best Burgers in Columbia! Family Owned and Operated since 1953.
Durham, North Carolina, USA
“Different”
Reviewed January 31, 2014 credit card Amex Card Member Review

An unusual restaurant: tiny dining area, restroom outside. The food was good...I just felt like I was in another time or something. Kids liked it. Chain has other locations that are probably much better.

Visited January 2014

Oak Ridge, New Jersey
“Maybe I don't get it yet.”
Reviewed June 15, 2013

This was the first of two places I chose to try Carolina mustard-based BBQ. This location was close to my destination and I had driven by in the past. Frankly it doesn't look like much from the outside. Inside was more promising than expected - clean, fairly pleasant, but nothing out of the ordinary. I ordered the Junior Pig dinner.
Everything tasted good, though the hushpuppies and roll were pretty average, mass-produced stuff. The BBQ sauce appeared to be just mustard. It was good, but I thought mustard-based sauce was more than just mustard. Visiting other restaurants, I found that was also their understanding, and mustard is just a component of the sauce.
Altogether, the food was good, but nothing special. That's surprising since the SC BBQ Association rates one Maurice's location as worthy of a 100-mile drive, and I assume the BBQ in each restaurant in the chain is largely the same.
I'd probably go back, but I wouldn't drive out of the way.

• Visited June 2013