“good food but slow service”

Tsunami of Harbison
Ranked #252 of 1,026 Restaurants in Columbia
Cuisines: Japanese
Reviewed August 3, 2013

Good food: We ordered the Pineapple Chicken Fried Rice and the Yakisoba Shrimp (which we requested to be made spicy). The fried rice dish was average tasting, but the Yakisoba dish was outstanding!
Slow service: Ate here for lunch on a Friday. They didn't seem to be busy, only a few tables were occupied and there were only 2 servers. It took 25 minutes to get our food from the time we placed our order and we had to ask for refills on our drinks every time. Our waitress was very difficult to find; I'm assuming she was hiding out in the back, because she was rarely seen in the dining area.

My husband & I will give this restaurant another chance to redeem themselves for service, only because the Yakisoba dish was so delicious.

1  Thank PittmanRN

Reviewed June 10, 2013

Last night, I took my family and a friend to dine at my 19 year old son’s favorite restaurant, Tsunami of Harbison. We may never return. I will admit, I have never liked the restaurant, but again, my son loved it and my wife liked it and particularly liked their odd dessert ice cream. They have a new menu, which we all found difficult. My son’s favorite meal, and mine, Shrimp Fried Rice, was no longer on the menu, replaced by a similar dish with pineapple. Our waiter, when asked, said he thought the kitchen would still serve the original dish, but he wasn’t sure and didn’t know the price. He returned to tell us the kitchen indeed would do the dish, but he still didn’t know the price. Now, we had never asked the price. We assumed, correctly it turned out, that it would be the same as before. I have never felt the service here was good, but this bode poorly for our evening and indeed, I feel our server was quite badly trained. We placed our order, including an appetizer, and after a 45 minute wait, which seems quite excessive, we received our meals, including my son’s appetizer. Normally, appetizers are served during the wait to receive the main meal. Had the server paid more attention to our table, we would have asked about the appetizer. The Udon soup served our friend had an odd taste, but she picked through it and ate about half. My Shrimp Fried Rice was not hot. I ate some of it, as I had taken some medicine which has to be taken with food, but it was not good cold. I refrained from asking that it be returned to the kitchen; who wants to do that given the videos we’ve all seen of what happens to food returned to the kitchen. The server stopped by and asked if everything was good. Our friend complained about her dish and my wife mentioned my food was cold. The server seemed surprised and went away. A young man we assumed was wait staff lurked about our table for a few minutes, then approached and announced that he was a manager and that the soup would be removed from our bill and that my meal would be discounted $1.10, a 10% discount, and mentioned that the kitchen heat lamp was not working properly and that a workman had already visited. I told him that I was surprised they would knowingly serve a cold meal and asked why offer anything if you are just going to be insulting. In all the meals we’ve ever had at Tsunami, we’ve ordered and enjoyed dessert, but we were all happy to just get out last night. And, no one in our party seems to want to ever go back. What a shame.

1  Thank Herb1953
Reviewed June 7, 2013

We've eaten here a few times in the past and have been very happy with the quality of the food. The most recent time was for a late lunch, and we were about the only ones in the place. We sat at the sushi bar, so the service was good. I can't recall the service at previous times, so it was probably OK. (If it was bad, I would have remembered!) The sushi was absolutely delicious! The salmon sashimi melted in my mouth. The sushi chef treated us (and we had our 4-y.o. son with us) wonderfully: He gave us lots of freebies and samples. It was fabulous!

Overall, I think their prices are very reasonable. Plus, they offer discounts through various programs like Groupon and Restaurant.com, so I've never paid full price anyway. I really can't complain. I've had a good experience every time here. I've tried the Tsunami in the Vista, and it wasn't nearly as good in my opinion.

Reviewed May 12, 2013 via mobile

If you don't mind paying a lot for average sushi, this is the place for you.

If you don't mind waiting 45 minutes in a half-full restaurant for your appetizers, this is the place for you.

If you have an infant or toddler with you and don't mind having to find your own high chair because the staff is oblivious, this is the place for you.

If you order entrees rather than sushi, and don't mind getting your food 10-15 minutes after the people who DID order sushi, this is the place for you.

Needless to say this is not the place for us, ever again.

Reviewed April 23, 2013

Stick with the sushi!! Unless you like super sweet Terriaki or noodles as thick as your finger...

The sushi was not great but okay, service was very good, the 2 entrees I tasted were fair (Terriaki chicken) and unedible (noodles with veggies)

It also was expensive, at least for the quality. One person was around $60 with a sushi, wine and entree.

The service was good though and they clearly try to make it fun for large groups, such as birthday party, bachelorette party...