“Terrific from Start to Finish”
Review of The Oak Table

The Oak Table
Reserve with OpenTable
The Oak Table is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #34 of 1,026 Restaurants in Columbia
Cuisines: American, Contemporary
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Reservations
Dining style: Fine Dining
Cross street: Main and Gervais
Description: Located on the corner of Main and Gervais Street, The Oak Table offers guests a menu of classic, American cuisine served in a captivating space that highlights the best of both contemporary and traditional design. Inspired by its sister restaurants in Charleston, S.C., Oak Steakhouse and The Macintosh, The Oak Table serves dishes that expound on the freshness of locally sourced, seasonal products. The focal point of the restaurant is an aged wooden table, a reminder of the integrity of time-honored American cuisine.Hours of operation:Monday through Thursday: 11 a.m. to 10 p.m.Friday: 11 a.m. to 11 p.m.Saturday: 5 p.m. to 11 p.m.Sunday brunch: 11 a.m. to 3 p.m.Sunday: 5 p.m. to 9 p.m.
Reviewed January 13, 2014

Greatly enjoyed a Restaurant Week 3-course deal at Oak Table and was impressed across the board! Superb service, fantastic farm-to-table fare expertly prepared, large wine list cuts across most tastes and budgets. We enjoyed the fish, thick-cut pork chop, salads, onion bisque, and main course sides were all wonderful, concluded with Best-on-Planet bread pudding. Absolute recommend, we will be back soon!

Reviewed January 12, 2014

We made a late reservation because of Restaurant Week. We arrived early and selected a bottle of '11 Flora Springs Merlot at the bar and chatted with the bartenders. We were impressed with the extensive winelist and top-shelf liquor in inventory. The manager stopped by to greet us, and around the time of our reservation the hostess came and got us and seated us. We got the best table in the house in my opinion; a two-top window table overlooking the State Capitol building. Our server Carson greeted us almost immediately. Carson was very friendly and knowledgeable of the menu. We had the option of choosing from the Restaurant Week menu that had a 3-course, $30 offering with two menu items for each course to consider. It was a fantastic value with an impressive lineup so we both decided on the fixed menu. My wife had a Fuji and Brie Salad, pan roasted SC golden tilefish with parsnip-Yukon gold potato puree, broccoli rabe, and a herb-ginger broth poured around the puree at the table. For dessert she chose a ginger-creme dish. I had an onion bisque soup that was outstanding. Imagine a French onion soup rich taste in a creamy, smooth bisque. Crumbled pistachios garnished the bisque and added a nice texture and complement to the dish. I had a Niman Ranch pork chop with a mustard-thyme glaze, roasted Brussels sprouts, roasted cauliflower, and creamy polenta. The balance of flavors were incredible. I chose the butterscotch bread pudding for dessert, and asked for a cup of coffee. Carson informed me that she would bring out a French Press. The butterscotch bread pudding was the best bread pudding I have ever had. My dessert was served hot in a cast-iron mini dutch oven with house made caramel popcorn on the side. The espresso roast paired very nicely with the dessert and the last sip of wine I had left in my glass. If you are looking for a nice, upscale restaurant in the Vista District, I highly recommend The Oak Table.

Reviewed December 30, 2013

The good points, and there are many. The location is top notch, right across the street from the statehouse. The decor is very nice, modern and cool. Our server was great. Monday was half price on bottles of wine, a truly unexpected plus.

The lesser points - the menu was uninspired, at least as far as the entrees. Some of the small plates looked pretty good. Our steaks were a little fatty.

Overall, not great but good.

Reviewed December 24, 2013

Returned for a 2nd Christmas Eve at this stylish restaurant in downtown Columbia. Were amazed that our server, Jessica, remembered us from last Christmas Eve down to the wines we had ordered a year ago. It was once again a pleasant experience. Sean at the bar makes a perfect Negrito and could not nave been more welcoming. The holiday eve menu was limited but offered some reasonable choices which were well prepared and served. We probably stayed too late but the staff did not hurry us and made us feel very welcome. I recommend this restaurant if you are looking for a good meal in a casual/elegant setting.

Reviewed December 24, 2013

We were in town to visit the art museum and came here for brunch, which was great. Lovely decor, perfect location and good food. Rachel, our waitress, was delightful. We're not likely to be back in town for dinner but I'd certainly try it if we do. A must-do for brunch!