“Great Hotel”

Ranked #13 of 94 Hotels in Columbia
Birmingham, United Kingdom
“Great Hotel”
Reviewed November 15, 2012

This was my first visit to the Homewood suites, I usually stop downtown at the HAMPTON Inn which was full due to a gamecocks game.

This was a great hotel stayed for 5 nights, suite was a real suite with Kitchen area, lounge area office desk and seperate bathroom, all in all a spacious area.
The bed was very comfortable and sleep quality good due to the quiet location.
A free mangers dinner most evenings was very welcome along with a good hearty breakfast.
The hotel staff were friendly and helpful and the facilities, pool and Spa were great, very welcome at the end of a long day.
The hotel is right next to the Riverbanks zoo which is great for kids and also good fun if you have an afternoon to kill.
Right on th eInterstae exit its easy to get down town and takes only a few minutes.
This will be my preferred choice in the future.
Pricing was very reasonable too.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
Becca S, General Manager at Homewood Suites by Hilton Columbia, responded to this review, November 16, 2012
Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel. We are so pleased you have found your home away from home! We strive to take excellent care of our gusts, and appreciate your feedback. We will certainly work hard to keep your trust in us.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (40)
Saint Louis, Missouri
Reviewed October 29, 2012

I stayed two nights at Homewood Suites for a recent business trip. I was pleasantly surprised at the size of the room - large suite with a full kitchen, living room and separate bedroom and bathroom. I don't know when the hotel was built, but it felt new. The room was very comfortable and quiet. The staff was helpful and friendly. They had a breakfast every morning and even dinner on several evenings (I didn't have the opportunity to sample the dinner). The only downside was there was not airport shuttle. The cab from the airport was about $25 with tip. Note: if you plan to walk anywhere from the hotel, there aren't any sidewalks, so you're better off driving/taking a cab. I enjoyed my stay here.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
Becca S, General Manager at Homewood Suites by Hilton Columbia, responded to this review, November 17, 2012
I am pleased you found our suites to be so comfortable! It is our number one goal to provide high quality accommodations, friendly, efficient service and clean comfortable surroundings. I appreciate you taking the time to let others know of your experience here.
Butler County
Reviewed July 16, 2012

I have stayed with the Homewood chain many times while on business, so I look for a Homewood for overnight stays even if it is a little out of my way. I stop at the Homewood in Columbia on my way south on I-77. If you don't know Homewood, you basically have a small apartment with a full kitchen for the night. And a hot breakfast buffet is provided in the morning. The room and bath was clean and neat. Check-in was fine; luggage carts are at the automatic doors (Why don't all hotels have automatic doors?). The neighborhood is primarily car dealerships. The front desk staff can direct you to any restaurants you might need. I have stayed at this hotel for many years and the standard is maintained every visit I make there. The management and staff are to be commended.

Room Tip: I use a handicapped room and the staff has always been very attentive to my needs in this area. The...
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled solo
1 Thank FEDRoadWarrior
Thank you for your loyalty to our hotel! Consistency in the quality of your stay is very important to us. Every day we strive to be the best. I agree with you about automatic doors! We do appreciate your business, and look forward to your next visit with us.
Greenville, SC
Reviewed July 11, 2012

I stayed at this hotel on a recent trip to Columbia, SC. I decided to stay at this hotel due to its affordable price and its location. The hotel is just a few minutes away from I-26, the zoo and about five minutes away from downtown Columbia. There are a lot of positives to this hotel, the first being the staff. Everyone was very friendly. I had to ask for a duplicate key to my room and the gentleman at the front desk made sure to ask to see my I.D. before issuing the additional card. This was wonderful because I have stayed in many a place where I've had to get an additional key or a re-key and the person at the desk activated it with no I.D. This made me feel safe and safety is important when you are traveling as single women.

The hotel has a hot breakfast and although it varies day by day, it is a real hot breakfast and the only thing you have to cook yourself is a waffle, but the waffle iron is very easy to use.

The room was great. We had a full kitchen with a standard sized fridge/freezer, a full sized microwave, coffee maker, toaster, two-burner stove and sink. There was a separate living room, bedroom with two queen beds and a nice sized bathroom. My only complaint is that it was difficult to have two people at the bathroom at the same time. But we were in a handicapped accessible room, so other rooms may be different. But the room itself was very clean, the bed and pillows were very comfortable. The room had high ceilings, and although it was 100 degrees throughout the weekend, the air conditioning kept the room comfortable.

The only con that I can think of is that the hotel is not near any restaurants. Now this may not be a big deal because they have a managers reception from Monday - Thursday, but if you aren't staying during those days then you have to fend for yourself.

Overall it was a great stay and I will visit this hotel again.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank blackwidowinsc
Thank you for your review. All of our staff have been trained in security measures to ensure our guests are safe. I so pleased to know you enjoyed our suites and all the amenities our hotel has to offer. We look forward to hosting you again, and thank you for taking the time to share with others about our hotel.
Houston, Texas
Reviewed July 10, 2012

The hotel staff made us feel very welcomed. The room was very updated, clean, and attractive. The complimentary breakfast staff and the manager's reception staff were very courteous and attentive. The breakfast had lots of options and my entire family of four was satisfied. In addition, the manager's reception included a full dinner!!! They had complimentary meatloaf, rolls, corn, potatoes, and salad. In addition, they served complimentary wine! They checked on us as soon as we finished our meal, and immediately picked up our dishes. They also refilled drinks. In addition, they made sure that there was always food available. It was like being in an all-inclusive hotel. The staff members and the amenities were absolutely WONDERFUL. We thoroughly enjoyed our stay!

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
Thank you for taking your time to review our hotel. I am pleased our food and beverage staff took excellent care of you and your family. Most people are surprised to find out we provide dinner and drinks four nights a week in addition to breakfast every day. Thank you again for your time, and we hope to welcome you back the next time your travels bring you to Columbia SC.
McDonough, Georgia
Reviewed June 25, 2012

We love Homewoods - I have never been disappointed by one before. I guess there is a first for everything.

At check in, we were told all adults would need to sign a "no party" agreement. I have never seen this before. This hotel is located in between two car dealers, and I did not see a bar or restaurant around anywhere. I can't imagine anything but age discrimination since we had a young man with us old grandmas.

Next - the room had formerly operable windows which had been roughly screwed in to make them inoperable. Not only was this unsightly, but one side only had one screw, which a previous guest had pried loose. The window did open, and widely, so I had to worry about that all night, that some little child would discover it and fall out on the pavement. Wouldn't it make more sense to put the screw in about 2 inches up so there could be air circulation, like the other chain of high class extended stay hotels has?

Which brings me to - the room smelled. Some maid took it upon herself to spray everything in the rooms with a high powered stinky "odorizer." I tried running the fan over the stove top, but that was not connected to an outside vent and just spewed additional smells.

We thought we should just go down to the pool and relax there. Did you know that pools have to have inspections and licenses? Friends of friends lost a child to a pool spread e coli, so I always check. This one was expired. I did not see any posting of recent test results, either. I would not even test the water with my toe. One of my traveling companions noticed how the water was cloudy at one end, and decided I was right and also did not get in. Then G. decided she would prove us wrong, and got out when she felt the bottom.

We left early in the morning, glad we would not be back. We have stayed at a sister property at Lake Harbin, and it was many times better, and cheaper to boot.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank Corn&Beans
Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel. I appreciate the opportunity to address some points you made. Because we do not discriminate, we ask everyone at check in to sign the no-party policy. It is standard procedure to ensure all our guests enjoy quiet accommodations while they are here. Thank you, too, for letting us know about the window. Because you brought this to our attention, we were able to re-secure it. I apologize for the overspray of room freshener. Again, your comments help us to be better. We have addressed this with our suitekeeping staff to ensure our suites smell clean and fresh, not perfumed. The last point was with regard to the stickers indicating inspections. DHEC no longer issues stickers to indicate their inspections. Instead, we have documents showing when the pool was inspected. Our guests' safety is a priority of ours, and proper pool maintenance is maintained here. Not only do we have a third party who thoroughly cleans and checks chemical three times a week, but also our engineering staff checks the pool and spa chemicals daily. We maintain high standards with all of our guest amenities.

Again, thank you for your comments. You are most welcome to contact me personally should you have any questions at all.
Salisbury, North Carolina
Reviewed May 28, 2012

We had prepaid for our reservations two weeks in advance to take advantage of ther Getaway discount. At the time when we made our online reservations, it was "Required" to pay in advance. When we arrived at the hotel, the staff was friendly and the room was clean and comfortable. When check-in we were required to use a form of payment to secure any other charges or for any accidental damages. Little did we know that they had charged us an additional $150 for the same reservation. We had already paid $130 two weeks in advance. After speaking to the front desk representative they informed that it did not appear in their system as we had paid in advance, but informed me that it will be corrected. The next morning, another front desk rep. had asked me which credit card we wanted to us to pay for our reservation and once again had to explain the whole situation. After a 24 hours of our check out time, we logged in to our bank accounts and found that we were charged 3 times for this one night reservation. Very unhappy witht their system and incovenience!

Room Tip: Hotel is not close to any restaurants.
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled with family
9 Thank Lima P
Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel. I certainly apologize that your account was over-authorized, and that you had to explain everything that should have just been automatic. This has been addressed to the staff, and thank you for your comments. Your taking the time to let us know shows us how to be better. Please feel free to contact me personally, and thank you once again.