“At least there were lots of sites.”

Site of the Surrender
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 3 helpful votes
“At least there were lots of sites.”
Reviewed March 1, 2014

It took us nearly 40 minutes to find this poorly marked slab of granite, and once there... Well there were NO FACILITIES to speak of. Not even a gift shop. No wonder this state is broke. Anyway, some restrooms would have at least been nice, but no, you would have to walk to the local GAS STATION if you were that desperate.

I have to say, though, this is a DARN GOOD VALUE. They did not even charge us admission. It was a great photo opportunity, not to mention the education. I feel like I know so much more history than ever before. You can't put a price tag on that, people.

All in all, a great way to spend five minutes. Thanks, Sherman!

Visited March 2014
3 Thank HistoryBluff3

22 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 80 helpful votes
“SC History Teacher Not Approving This”
Reviewed June 26, 2013 via mobile

If you truly want to learn about this battle then go to Riverbanks Zoo. Enter the walking path on the botanical gardens side and find the small cabin. There you can learn a great deal. Also visit my friends at the Relic Room just below the SC State Museum. As for this rock... It's no more factual than the rebel x flag that NEVER flew in Columbia during the war. We put a flag that was the Army of TN's flag and a Confederate Naval jack on top of our capital and called it respecting our herritage. The truth of our history is far more fascinating if we just take the time to learn it.

Visited June 2013
11 Thank Brian H
Columbia, South Carolina
21 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 45 helpful votes
“It is a ROCK and no Evidence it happened.”
Reviewed December 1, 2012

I hate to disillusion you but this is nothing more than a ROCK that has been carved that this is where the surrender of Columbia happened. HOWEVER, There is no proof that the actual surrender of Columbia Happened here, and that the monument was put up like 50 to a 100 years after the fact. Also Sherman's Troops where stationed down by the river, not out on North Main Street. This rock is not 1/2 mile from North Main, The Actual site of Sherman's encampment is now high priced condos!

Visited December 2012
6 Thank JeffSoward
Lexington, South Carolina
“Civil War”
Reviewed December 1, 2012

very cool site here in columbia. I did not know about this until I found it on the internet. I enjoyed coming here and seeing what I saw. Totally rad dude.

Visited November 2012
Columbia, South Carolina
1,309 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 631 helpful votes
“Neat for Civil war History Buffs”
Reviewed May 4, 2012

while not a major attraction in anyway, it is a neat little marker for history buffs. The marker marks the spot where the mayor of Columbia surrendered the city to General Shermans forces-thus saving any further destruction. easy to find, one can street park at look/read the stone marker. Most city residents don't even know this marker exists in the city- but for history fans, it's important.

Visited April 2012