“Gorgeous brand new Hampton..... in the wrong location.”

Hampton Inn & Suites Columbia/Southeast-Ft. Jackson
Ranked #8 of 94 Hotels in Columbia
Raleigh, North Carolina
“Gorgeous brand new Hampton..... in the wrong location.”
Reviewed April 11, 2013

This hotel is right next to the highway, brand new, but in a questionable area. There is NOTHING but fast food in the area and I didn't feel safe enough to run at all in the area.
The good thing is you are 7.5 miles to downtown and fabulous food and bars. If you are staying to lay your head and get back on the road in the morning, you are fine.

I paid one of the highest rates I have ever paid for a Hampton (just under $200). I am assuming it was because most hotels were full due to the Masters in Augusta this week - but it was WAYYYYYYY overpriced for the area. I would NOT stay there again for that rate when traveling.

Staff was super friendly and hotel is beautiful. Gorgeous outside seating with propane fire pit. There is alot of 'right', but the area for me is the deal breaker.

Room Tip: They do have a "highway" side, so keep that in mind if you are a light sleeper. Ask for a...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
HIS_ColumbiaGM, General Manager at Hampton Inn & Suites Columbia/Southeast-Ft. Jackson, responded to this review, April 30, 2013
Greetings! Thank you so much for taking the time to post about our hotel. We appreciate all feedback as it helps us to continue to improve our service and know when we have not lived up to our standards as part of the Hampton family. I am glad that you liked the hotel, unfortunately you did come during the Masters week which happens to be one of the busiest weeks of the year for the Columbia area which is the reason behind the rates for that week.

In regards to our location we are located in an area that is begining to grow and more things are coming to the area, including restaurants in the vacant lots near us. Unfortuantely there are no time lines established as of yet. We do keep an active involvment in the community to do what we can to get more restaurants, shops etc in the area for our guests to enjoy. Just recently several restaurants opened just 1.5 miles down Garner's Ferry Road in the new Crosshill shopping center. We hope to see that development continue to push it's way towards our side of town. I am sorry to hear that this is a deal breaker, however hopefully in the near future when we start to see more growth you might give us another try.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (65)
Los Angeles, California
Reviewed April 4, 2013

Perhaps all Hampton Inns are like this. It has been a number of years since I had stayed at one. This one seems new.

Some of the things that made me like this hotel: All day and evening in the lobby - cookies and 3 coffee choices plus hot water. Microwave, refrigerator, and coffeemaker in the room. Good shower head. The desk clerk always put phone callers on hold in favor of a guest at the desk. Breakfast until 10:00. Free breakfast buffet was one of best I've had. Food is similar to what you could order in a diner - except no grits. Eating area includes a very long and wide island with stools so singles don't have to take up a table.

Location Info. I-77 runs along side of the hotel. We were on that side and found the noise to be minimal, but you might want to request a room away from the freeway. There is no light at the intersection of E Exchange and the very busy Garners Ferry Road, but if you turn right from the hotel lot, E Exchange soon ends at Greenlawn Drive which does have a light at Garners Ferry Road.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank Parrish H
Greetings,

I wanted to take a moment to thank you for your time in posting this review. As a hotel we rely on our guest feedback to help us improve our service. I am very happy you enjoyed your stay with us and hope that when you are in Columbia in the future you visit us again.
Reviewed April 3, 2013

We will try it again if we are in the area. The USA Today papers were all taken by 7:30 am. When I asked if they had another one behind the desk, I was told that they are going digital and maybe I could find a discarded one in the breakfast area. I do read USA Today on my iPad and enjoy it. However, every other Hampton that we have visited have had ample copies of the newspaper. Poor form and an even worse response. Not up to Hilton Honors standards.

Room Tip: The suites are very nice.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
CHADTGM, General Manager at Hampton Inn & Suites Columbia/Southeast-Ft. Jackson, responded to this review, April 4, 2013
I wanted to take a moment to thank you for your feedback regarding your stay and I apologize for the issue regarding the USA Today newspaper. The response you got was definitely not how we handle things here typically. While we are going green with the digital portal we still can and will be increasing the paper copies we have available as our occupancy continues to pick up. Please rest assured that I will address this issue with the team moving forward so you do not experience this issue moving forward. I want to thank you once again for your feedback and offer my sincerest apologies!
Isle of Palms, South Carolina
Reviewed April 2, 2013

For a brand new property, they really skimped making it comfortable for their clients. Yes, it is right next to the highway, but if they would have just used more insulation, we could have had a better sleep instead of the highway noise.

Room Tip: I don't think there are any quiet rooms!!
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank MiMi143
Good evening! My name is John and I am the General Manager of this hotel. I wanted to take a moment to thank you for your feedback and apologize for your experience. During construction we did add additional sound insulation however we were unable to overcome the noise due to the individual AC units that are used in the rooms. While we cannot change the way the building is built we often look for creative solutions to the problem as our guests satisfaction is very important to us. We will continue to find more creative and reasonable solutions to this issue. Thank you again for your time and feedback!
Whitby,Ontario
Reviewed March 18, 2013

Stayed and this brand new hotel on our way to Florida. Found it to be a very nice hotel. Interesting and modern decorations. Check-in was fast and friendly. Our room had a King size bed which was very comfortable. Room was very large, clean and quiet, although we were on the side of the hotel that doesn't back on to I77. This hotel is very close to the interstate, so rooms that back onto the interstate might be noisy - if you are a light sleeper you may want to request a room on the other side of the hotel. Breakfast was good and really enjoyed the very large breakfast area. While a lot of hotels scrimp on seating area for the breakfast, this hotel had a very large area and there was not problem finding a place to sit. Overall, enjoyed our stop and would stop here again.

Room Tip: If noise is a concern, ask for a room not facing I77 to be on the safe side.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
I wanted to take a moment to thank you for your time in posting feedback of the hotel. Our guest feedback is very important to us and we continue to use this information to improve our services. I am glad that you enjoyed your stay and look forward to you returning to visit us again soon!
Pa
Reviewed February 27, 2013

We stayed here overnight while driving through the state. Hotel was clean, new and breakfast was great. Front desk crew was good. Only complaint was there were a lot a new noise out in the parking lot. However the front desk apologized for the noise. Would stay here ag. ain

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank tlk824Pa
I wanted to take a moment to thank you for your time in posting your feedback. Our goal is 100% satisfaction for our guests and I am glad to see that you enjoyed your stay with us!! We definitely look forward to having you stay with us.
NB
Reviewed February 16, 2013

Brand new hotel -located near several other hotels.. Our GPS found it a little confusing to find. We opted to stay in a suite and it was lovely. Clean, comfortable, spacious, quiet. Good internet access.

The young man on duty November 19 was not only professionally dressed - he was a professional - friendly, helpful, and had everything under control - a huge asset for any business. Unfortunately, I cannot recall his name - though I think it may have been Matt.

Breakfast was fine.

Room Tip: We like top floor away from the highway.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Thank you so much for your feedback and I am so very happy to see you enjoyed your stay. You are correct in naming the gentleman that assisted you and I am proud to say he was recently promoted to oversee our guest services department. I have shared your feedback with him and the rest of the team and I hope that you will return to us again soon!