Open today: 7:00 AM - 9:00 PM

Reviewed 3 days ago
Mink52
Waukesha, Wisconsin
via mobile
Beautiful, restful, close to the city, great walks

Reviewed 1 week ago
patriciaulku
Claremont, California

All reviews nice walk great place to walk pump house christopher columbus paved trail bike ride historical markers congaree river broad river exercise dam runners jog benches scenery herons picnic
Reviewed 3 days ago via mobile

We stopped here, not knowing what to expect other than a view of the river. After taking the path around the city’s sanitary sewer facilities(!), we discerned the beautiful canal and river walk. We couldn’t see the waterfall side of the dam, but we did have man6 great views of the rocky, rushing river as we headed west on the paved path. In our mile short midday walk, we encountered only a few joggers, a couple of walkers.
We definitely will go back here sometime, as we’d like to walk (or ride) the entire trail someday!

Reviewed 1 week ago

Mu husband and I take walks at the River front Walk amost every weekend when the weather is good. The renovations after flooding a few years ago are remarkable with wooden lattice wreas, well maintained paths, ample benches and some picnic tables. Usually on weekends in good weather, families frequent the park. There are several entrances and sections of the park area, so one can change the routine often.

Reviewed 4 weeks ago

I am so glad we visited this place on our way out of town. There were so many interesting parts of the park, including old buildings that offered really neat backdrops for pictures, walking paths, bridges, statues, plaques, and information about the history of Columbia. I only wish we had more time to explore!

4  Thank nikkic990
Reviewed October 8, 2018

The Canal Park Trail is a wide, flat paved path of 2.5 miles parallel to the Saluda River and the Columbia Canal. In all seasons it gives peaceful, colorful outlooks and has been improved each month with new plantings, widen footpaths and trimmings. You can see plenty of heron, egrets, turtle and once even a snake. I was told by the ranger that the alligators that crept up into residence were all flushed out in the 2015 flood and now reside further down stream. Signs posting warnings are still up, so maybe you might get a chance to see one, but I never did in all the many days I spent on the canal biking in 2017 and 2018.

1  Thank DeanLewis47
Reviewed October 6, 2018

I was told about this walking trail by the manager of the Staybridge where I was staying the night. It was only a couple blocks away so Lucy (my Weimeramer puppy) and I ventured out to find it. What a nice surprise. A well maintained walking path between the river and the canal. Lucy and I only walked about a mile down and then turned back because the sun was setting. So I did not actually see the dam. It is well attended. There were walkers and joggers and lots of other dogs. Always felt safe. Very nice hour, well spent.

Reviewed September 4, 2018 via mobile

What a nice park!
Easy to miss, but a gem once you locate the entrance.
This park has a paved trail which is good for bike rides, strollers, wheelchairs, and walkers. Beautiful plants and benches offered shaded spots to stop and rest. Plaques along the way provided info about the area. I can't wait to go back when it is cooler outside so I can fully enjoy to full trail experience.

1  Thank S S
Reviewed August 8, 2018

Great place to walk right in downtown. Broad river has lots of rocks but they run 6-8 feet deep. Watch out when they release water upstream.

Reviewed August 5, 2018

The Columbia Canal and Riverfront Park covers 167 acres. After parking the car and walking down to the canal/hydroelectric dam you have several options. You can go into the original water pump house for Columbia, you can view the old canal/hydroelectric plant dam, you can go to the playground with the kids, or you can take a 2 1/2 mile hike or bike ride along the river, you can have a picnic on one of the tables, or you can just sit on a bench to chill.

We decided to take the walk first but we didn't do the entire walk due to time constraints. It was a easy walk along the river and we really enjoyed it. On the way back we went through the original pump house which was very interesting. Then we viewed the canal/hydroelectric plant dam (I just love old structures like this).

Even if you are just passing through Columbia and you want to stretch your legs, this would be a perfect place to do it. It isn't time consuming and you will be back on the road in no time.

1  Thank cheryl h
Reviewed August 3, 2018

the flood really screwed things up but the upper end of the park is like nothing eve happened.. great place for all sorts of outdoor adventures. great, paved path that follows river for 2 and a half miles..

1  Thank lugoffbob
Reviewed July 28, 2018 via mobile

This Riverwalk is well maintained and beautiful natural views.
The canal is on one side and the river flows on the other.
Beautiful trees stand majestically along the river side path. There are 1/4 mile markers along the path so you can plot out your distances. The light poles are the old town type to add to the romance of the path.
The river is just fascinating to watch as you walk along. Very informative kiosks telling you about the geology of the area and plants that are native to the area that they want to protect.
Highly recommend this spot for a relaxing way to get some excersise in.
Runners, walkers, bicyclers and roller bladers were enjoying the day.
Just be respectful and stay to your right for faster people to pass on the left.