Open today: 9:00 AM - 5:00 PM

One of the Most Beautiful State Capitols

Reviewed 5 days ago
HeidiM929
Cincinnati, Ohio

All reviews beautiful building guided tour civil war south carolina free tour cannon balls confederate flag lieutenant governor nice tour rich in history lots of history self guided stained glass gift shop walk around statues grounds
Reviewed 4 days ago

My husband and I were touring the city and were impressed with this building in the middle of town. We hope to take the tour the next time we're in town.

Reviewed 5 days ago

We visited this capitol building and took the tour. It is a very impressive building. There's lots of dark wood and blue decor. It is one of the most beautiful state capitols we have ever been to. If you're in Columbia, don't miss this. Also, the gift shop is great. It has lots of SC gear and memorabilia.

Reviewed 1 week ago

It was my daughter's graduation and we went along to let her show off what she liked about downtown Columbia. I didn't expect to become this interested in the "State House," but I couldn't help it. It was really novel and worth the visit.

Reviewed 1 week ago

Beautiful statehouse with rich history, including cannon ball damage, which only took 55 years to complete. This is a must see capitol building in the top 5 for it's charm and story. Make sure you plan for the guided tour and see the sweet lady in the gift shop.

Reviewed 1 week ago via mobile

52 women from Aiken, SC toured the Capital Building on a rainy Friday in late October 2018. We were fortunate to have Kathryn Padgett as our tour guide that day. Her knowledge and passion for the job were amazing. We could have listened to her all day! We were also fortunate that Senator Tom Young was able to chat with our group about current happenings close to home. The architecture and artwork are worth the trip. Don’t miss the gift shop!

Kathryn P, Manager at South Carolina State House, responded to this reviewResponded 1 week ago

Thank you! Your group was a privilege! Ya’ll come back!!!!

Reviewed 3 weeks ago

we visited the state house on a lovely morning in July. We had a look around the grounds before going into the state house, and we learnt a whole lot about South Carolina's history. It was a lovely and knowledgable day, and I will be sure to go back when I return to SC in December.

Reviewed 3 weeks ago

My wife and I toured the State House on a rainy Saturday afternoon. The tour guide was excellent, thorough and knowledgeable. By chance, a candidate for lieutenant governor was in the lobby, so the guide called her over to greet us. The guide skirted around some sensitive issues (politics, what to call "the War," etc.) exceptionally well. The tour took about an hour and left us much better informed about how the state functions. After the tour, we walked around the grounds. The tour is free of charge but keep in mind you will be x-rayed going in the building, so plan accordingly.

1  Thank Jeffrey S
Reviewed 3 weeks ago

Although there was some amazing architecture in the building and wonderful artwork the tour was boring. I ended up leaving part way through and just wondering around the building on my own. Not worth waiting for a tour.

Reviewed October 8, 2018 via mobile

It's pretty. I'd recommend the horseshoe at U of SC or here if you want a nice place to walk in the city. It's a cool building right in the center of cola.

Reviewed October 8, 2018

As a Northerner, I was not all that familiar with South Carolina history but after the tour inside the State House, I wanted to read more. It is a commanding building set on large, well managed grounds. Southern Charm oozes and brochures are given out as to a full index of the state's prized BBQ joints.