“Got more than we payed for -- and not in a good way.”

Motel 6 Columbia East
Ranked #60 of 93 Hotels in Columbia
Reviewed January 15, 2009

I chose the Motel 6 due to their low rates and pet friendly policy. I wasn't expecting much for the low rate that I was paying. Unfortunately I got a lot more than what I was expecting, including bugs in the bed and fresh blood on the sheets.

I have to say that the front desk personnel were outstanding. Both the night clerk who checked us in and the manager who checked us out the next morning were extremely friendly and gracious. The manager, especially, went completely out of her way and did everything she possibly could to rectify our negative stay.

We arrived at about 11 pm and were exhausted. The lobby and the common areas were all fresh and clean. However, upon entering the room, we noticed it was kind of shabby. The blankets on the bed had obviously not been washed in some time and they were quite old and worn. For the price we were paying though, it would have to do. We both crashed almost immediately.

Upon waking up, my adult niece asked me if I wanted to see what she had found in her bed. I knew that my day wasn't going to go well at this point. She turned over her sheet which she had balled up some time during the night and showed me a fresh blood spot near the top edge of the sheet. I knew the spot was fresh because it was bright red. Had the sheet been washed and it was just a stain, the spot would have appeared brownish in color. That definitely wasn't the case.

I went down to the desk to discuss it with management. Again, she was extremely gracious. She comped me for the cost of the room for that night and assured me that she would have housekeeping thoroughly clean the room as soon as they arrived. After returning to the room, I took a closer inspection of the bed. There was a dead bug in the bed and there were about a half dozen small red bugs (very miniscule in size but you could see them with the naked eye) crawling around on the bed. There was one on the pillow so I carried the pillow down to the desk to show the manager.

She was appalled and very embarrased. She insisted that they were not bed bugs but at that point, it didn't really matter to me...they were bugs in my bed. Not pleasant regardless of the type of bug. She offerred to do whatever I wanted her to do at that point, be it move me to a different room or refund my money completely and allow us to check out early. At that point, we chose to just check out early and call it quits.

If I had to base the stay on the staff alone, I would definitely stay there again. Unfortunately the bloody sheet and bugs in the bed would prohibit me from making that same decision and will in fact cause me to probably avoid all Motel 6s in the future.

• Stayed: December 2008
1  Thank jkobiska

Reviewed January 2, 2009

what can you say the price was right .
the rooms very clean .
the staff very friendly and accomidating.
do not expect any percs it is not a 5 star, it is a no frills . no breakfast but you will not want to miss the breakfast at the lizards thicket right on the corner by hotel . it was awsome and the wait staff exceptional .
left my new moccosins and they returned !! first time i ever had that happen!
the managment was very nice .
even thought you are allowed pets there the rooms did not have any evidence of this .

• Stayed: December 2008, traveled with family
Reviewed May 25, 2008

I stayed here during a family emergency - my sister had been in an accident and was in critical condition at the local hospital. The staff went out of their way to be helpful; the room was clean, very comfortable and quiet, with no interuptions while I slept in between hospital visits. The rates are excellent, and I plan to stay here again as I visit my sister while she is recovering. Definitely a two-thumbs-up place

• Stayed: May 2008, traveled solo
Reviewed April 15, 2007

Lets be clear; the Motel 6 will never be confused with the Ritz Carlton. With that said, and after staying at more dingy, miserable dives than I care to remember, in a town that is often sold-out on the weekends, I was absolutely thrilled to have found this place. It is actually a hotel, not a motel, with interior corridors. It is new, pleasantly furnished, very clean, and comfortable. These are basic accomodations, mind you. No frills here. But the desk staff is among the best I've encountered anywhere. When compared to other lower tier accomodations, this place is outstanding.

• Stayed: April 2007, traveled solo
3  Thank carolahb
Reviewed February 9, 2007

We stayed here during a basketball tournament weekend. The staff was really super nice. The pool and hot tub close at 11 PM but the manager let my daughter go to the hot tub for about 10 minutes after hours. I thought that was really nice, because her muscles were really sore and she had to play again the next day. The check in person was really friendly, kind of like a nice aunt. They have some type of bird, maybe a cocateil? It's cute. The room was clean and nice and the hotel was NOT noisy even though it was Saturday night. The rates are the best in town.

• Stayed: February 2007, traveled with family
4  Thank shootinhoops
Reviewed November 17, 2005

I stayed in this motel whilst fleeing hurricane Katrina.

The staff went out of their way to be helpful. Nice clean affordable rooms, quiet location with lots of restaurants in walking distance.

An ideal stop-over whilst travelling.

Stayed: September 2005
4  Thank Ken131
A TripAdvisor Member
Toronto, Ohio
Reviewed October 26, 2005

This is a nice place to stay. It is out of the way and nice and quiet. The Staff is real helpful. I will have to give this one 2 thumbs up.

• Stayed: August 2005