“Clean room and friendly staff!”

Motel 6 Columbia East
Ranked #59 of 94 Hotels in Columbia
Roanoke, Va.
“Clean room and friendly staff!”
Reviewed September 8, 2011

A little hard to find but worth the effort. Great front staff! Friendly with great smiles. I asked for extra pillows, PESTO, got'um! Great price, safe place!

• Stayed November 2010, traveled on business
3 Thank af13743488

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (7)
Ottawa, Ontario Canada
Reviewed March 13, 2010

This was my first stay in a Motel6 and selected solely on the basis of these reviews.

There was absolutely nothing wrong with the room and the staff was great, but I guess I just don't understand the Motel6 value proposition. Absolutely nothing not essential to sleeping for the night is provided. While the base price is great, after you add $3 for internet and $12 breakfast sandwiches and coffee at McDonald's the total cost is equal to or greater than such competitors as Comfort Inns, Days Inns or Super 8, which offer in room fridges and coffee makers along with free internet and usually decent breakfasts.

I would stay here and probably other Motel6 hotels in the future, but I would not seek them out.

On a positive note, the front desk staff were great and the Lizzard's Wicket restaurant next door served good county cooking at very reasonable prices.

• Stayed February 2010, traveled as a couple
Scranton, PA, USA
Reviewed March 1, 2010

Standard Motel 6 dsign and decor, and extremely friendly staff and service. Rooms a bit dated, but perfectly clean. Good comfortable overnight stop while travelling.

Stayed February 2010, traveled as a couple
1 Thank LFA
Tampa, FL
Reviewed June 7, 2009

I'm a college student who doesn't make a lot of money and needed some place that was cheap for my boyfriend's graduation. I read the prior reviews of Motel 6 and was a little reluctant, but I decided to give it a try. I am so happy I did because I've been to some places that cost almost double the price a night for a stay and was awful. I brought my own blankets just in case. The comforter did seem a bit dirty but the actually sheets were clean. It is a smoking building. Although I had a non smoking room I could smell the smoke when I shut the air off. It literally was 5 minutes from Fort Jackson so that was definitely a plus for when my boyfriend had to go back on post. It was perfect for the price and definitely comfortable for my stay. Staff was very nice. It wasn't really fancy, but definitely what I needed. If I had more money I probably would have stayed some place a bit nicer, but this was perfect for my budget. I'll recommend it to anyone!

• Stayed June 2009, traveled solo
Uijeongbu, South Korea
Reviewed January 15, 2009

I chose the Motel 6 due to their low rates and pet friendly policy. I wasn't expecting much for the low rate that I was paying. Unfortunately I got a lot more than what I was expecting, including bugs in the bed and fresh blood on the sheets.

I have to say that the front desk personnel were outstanding. Both the night clerk who checked us in and the manager who checked us out the next morning were extremely friendly and gracious. The manager, especially, went completely out of her way and did everything she possibly could to rectify our negative stay.

We arrived at about 11 pm and were exhausted. The lobby and the common areas were all fresh and clean. However, upon entering the room, we noticed it was kind of shabby. The blankets on the bed had obviously not been washed in some time and they were quite old and worn. For the price we were paying though, it would have to do. We both crashed almost immediately.

Upon waking up, my adult niece asked me if I wanted to see what she had found in her bed. I knew that my day wasn't going to go well at this point. She turned over her sheet which she had balled up some time during the night and showed me a fresh blood spot near the top edge of the sheet. I knew the spot was fresh because it was bright red. Had the sheet been washed and it was just a stain, the spot would have appeared brownish in color. That definitely wasn't the case.

I went down to the desk to discuss it with management. Again, she was extremely gracious. She comped me for the cost of the room for that night and assured me that she would have housekeeping thoroughly clean the room as soon as they arrived. After returning to the room, I took a closer inspection of the bed. There was a dead bug in the bed and there were about a half dozen small red bugs (very miniscule in size but you could see them with the naked eye) crawling around on the bed. There was one on the pillow so I carried the pillow down to the desk to show the manager.

She was appalled and very embarrased. She insisted that they were not bed bugs but at that point, it didn't really matter to me...they were bugs in my bed. Not pleasant regardless of the type of bug. She offerred to do whatever I wanted her to do at that point, be it move me to a different room or refund my money completely and allow us to check out early. At that point, we chose to just check out early and call it quits.

If I had to base the stay on the staff alone, I would definitely stay there again. Unfortunately the bloody sheet and bugs in the bed would prohibit me from making that same decision and will in fact cause me to probably avoid all Motel 6s in the future.

• Liked — Friendly Staff
  • Disliked — Bugs and Blood in our bed
  • Stayed December 2008
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1 Thank jkobiska
toronto
Reviewed January 2, 2009

what can you say the price was right .
the rooms very clean .
the staff very friendly and accomidating.
do not expect any percs it is not a 5 star, it is a no frills . no breakfast but you will not want to miss the breakfast at the lizards thicket right on the corner by hotel . it was awsome and the wait staff exceptional .
left my new moccosins and they returned !! first time i ever had that happen!
the managment was very nice .
even thought you are allowed pets there the rooms did not have any evidence of this .

• Liked — the staff
  • Disliked — no microwave or fridge no coffe maker they did have coffee in lobby til 10 am
  • Stayed December 2008, traveled with family
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
Elkton, VA
Reviewed May 25, 2008

I stayed here during a family emergency - my sister had been in an accident and was in critical condition at the local hospital. The staff went out of their way to be helpful; the room was clean, very comfortable and quiet, with no interuptions while I slept in between hospital visits. The rates are excellent, and I plan to stay here again as I visit my sister while she is recovering. Definitely a two-thumbs-up place

• Liked — the friendliness and helpfulness at the check-in desk
  • Disliked — nothing
  • Stayed May 2008, traveled solo