“Very Nice Hotel” 4 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #39 of 94 Hotels in Columbia
Cincinnati
“Very Nice Hotel”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 30, 2010

My daughter and I stayed here for two nights when we were in town for her orientation at the University of South Carolina. The room was very nice - looked to have been updated recently. We had a king bed along with a refrigerator and microwave. The decor was very nice and the bed was very comfortable. Got a great deal on Priceline. There was some traffic noise from the main road. If that might bother you request a room on the side of the building facing the parking lot. Plenty of parking and fairly close to downtown. You could walk but we drove as it was quite hot the days we were there. I would stay there again the next time we are in Columbia. Also the breakfast was very good with a nice variety.

• Stayed June 2010, traveled with family
      Sleep Quality
    • 4 of 5 bubbles

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (49)
Bristol, England
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 4, 2010

Conveniently placed for walking into central Columbia. Good breakfast with outstanding staff, (Michael Johnson who worked at the weekend in the dining room was a really friendly and helpful person) The room was spacious, comfortable and clean and overall very good value.

Stayed March 2010, traveled as a couple
Milton, Florida
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 22, 2010

We stayed here one night in a king on the ground floor. With early booking rates, we paid only $89, taxes and all. We were in town for Beer Fest and a hotel within walking distance, and with a lower rating, cost about twice the price. We opted for this hotel and paid for a cab to the convention center (approx $5 each way). The continental breakfast was an added plus (eggs, sausage, biscuits, gravy, cinnamon rolls, bagels, cereal, juice, coffee, oatmeal, ect).The room was really clean and recently renovated. I definitely wouldn't hesitate to book here again.

• Stayed January 2010, traveled as a couple
Raleigh, North Carolina
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 21, 2010

First off don't take 3* as a bad rating. That's average which I think this hotel is, average. There were a few things that lost big points for me.

Checkin
Was no problem and quick. He recognized me as a priority club member but didn't give me any welcome gift like I was people later receiving.

Room
The rooms were very nice looking and appeared to be fairly newly renovated. I had a king with fridge, microwave and flat screen TV.

Bed
This is one area they lost huge points. The bed was horrible. Very uncomfortable!

Bathroom
Another negative was how long it took to get hot water in my room. It doesn't sounds long but I'd say the water was running for 30 seconds before it started to get warm.

TV
Nice flat screen. No HD channels but a wide selection of 40 or so channels.

Breakfast
Regular HI Express breakfast. One thing that annoyed me was the woman that was keeping the food stocked had a tip jar out and she wasn't even friendly.

Internet
Internet worked better in my room when I was plugged in. The wireless was spotty.

Parking
Free parking and a good amount of it.

Fitness room
Another that leaves a lot to be desired. The elliptical really didn't work. Then there was a bike and treadmill. Very basic and older. Time to upgrade!

Street noise
It was bad. I was on the main road side and I heard cars all night. It was really disturbing if you were trying to take a nap during rush hour or in the morning. This was another area they lost points for me.

Managers reception
They did have a managers reception at night from 6-730 with beer, wine and snacks.

Overall it was an average hotel. I wouldn't recommend to a friend but I wouldn't talk them out of staying there if they already booked. I would head back if all the other hotels were more then my job wanted to pay for a hotel. Everything looked nice but it was more of a polished turd.

• Stayed January 2010, traveled on business
Hawaii
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 8, 2010

We were flying in and out of CAE and needed a place to just stay over night, so we pricelined it. We got this room for 38/night! Wonderful space, wonderful customer service. Huge comfy bed.

• Stayed November 2009, traveled with family
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
Atlanta, Georgia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 1, 2009

Taken over by Holiday Inn. Can't use Choice Hotel points here. Prices are higher now, now that it's Holiday Inn.

Stayed April 2009, traveled as a couple
AlexAlzate, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express & Suites Columbia Downtown, responded to this review, November 5, 2009
We appreciate your feedback and are working with TripAdvisor to change our listed name on their site. We hope that being a Holiday Inn Express and offering free hot breakfast, free managers reception Mon - Thurs, Free High Speed Internet, and 32 inch HDTV's will be enough to visit us again.

We look forward to your arrival.

Alex, GM
buffalo ny
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 8, 2009

we stayed at the holiday inn express on taylor road as we were making our annual trek from florida to new york. we usually void the major cities but columbia was a perfect stopover. we were exhausted at check in and asked where we could eat dinner. much to my shock, they had a complimentary hot buffet complete with beer and wine. our entree was turkey with dressing and veggies, soup and salad. they even had cupcakes for dessert! the next morning we were greeted with a hot breakfast buffet and then we were off for another day of driving. when you figure the cost of two meals for two people we ended up paying peanuts for the room - which was clean, large and had a great new tv. we would definitely go there again.

• Stayed June 2009, traveled as a couple