All reviews taylor street pancake machine front desk cinnamon rolls turkey sausage close proximity the room was nice staff was very friendly convention center outdoor pool visiting columbia king bed great customer service breakfast staff one night stay beds were comfortable vista
Selected filters
Reviewed April 12, 2019

I have been a Platinum IHG member for several years and during this time I have only staying in IHG properties. A perk of the status I have achieved has been upgrades I received when booking rooms. Upon a recent stay I had called the hotel several days before arrival and was provided and upgrade and the staff member told me the type of room I would be in. Upon my arrival the room i was guaranteed was not the room I was provided. I spoke with a staff member who fully admitted a mistake had been made but she had no way to correct it. I was told the room was sold to someone else, I was told the upgrade was never made by the original staff member, there were several excuses not sure what was the truth. For the first time I decided to hold the hotel accountable for their mistake and decided not to stay and after a long discussion with a staff member I was told not to worry they did not feel refunding my points was an issue and they would speak with the manager personally and follow up with me. When I never heard from anyone I called the manager who said he listened to the phone conversation when I called for the upgrade and he made excuses and said he wasn't doing anything to make it right. Needless to say I never heard from the staff member that committed to following up either. So in short, the hotel made me pay for their mistake and when I reached out to IHG rewards they backed the hotel as it sounded like the general manager misrepresented the true situation to them. As a result IHG has lost a client they has been extremely loyal over 30,000 points, no one even made an effort to even try to own their mistake or attempt to make it right. It is a bad feeling when you have a trusted business and personal partner that loses your trust. So my recommendation to travelers in business or for fun to Columbia do not stay at this property, chose one that your hard earned money or points as in my case are honored and you can trust the word of the people with who you do business and partner. I am sure the hotel will try to spin this in some other direction but this is what happened and this is the truth. Also, if Platinum member want to know what your loyalty is worth, it is 30,000 points!

Date of stay: March 2019
  • Trip type: Traveled with family
CarlyN7309, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express & Suites Columbia Downtown, responded to this reviewResponded April 12, 2019

Hello Bah10206, Thank you for the review of our hotel. We are sorry to see that you had these issues staying at our hotel. After looking into your account, I did find where the hotel awarded a complimentary upgrade from a standard king room to one of our King Executive suites. We do have limited availability for our jacuzzi suites and we are sorry that there was not one available to give you upon check in. We will take this feedback and coach our team to be able to know what to do in these situations of limited availbility. Thank you.

Reviewed April 5, 2019 via mobile

My sister and I were in town with my niece to tour USC. My sister booked the rooms and was promised two adjoining rooms. We got to the hotel one hour early and asked to check in. We were not greeted for about 15 minutes while one desk agent stood there and another was waiting on someone. When we were helped the woman was quite short with us and rude. It turns out my sister booked through a third party and the hotel doesn’t have adjoining rooms. The woman could have cared less stating it happens all the time. She didn’t seem to care that the rooms weren’t even next to each other. She spoke inappropriately to her coworker in front of us. There was another disgruntled customer she argued with while waiting on us. We never did receive friendly helpful service from any of the front desk. One guy never took his ear buds out. Outside of this our stay was ok. The beds were comfortable. The shower was amazing! The rooms had no USB ports which seems highly outdated. Our room faced traffic on the second floor and it was LOUD! Thankfully I had my noise machine. Breakfast was a disappointment. The 2 ladies who worked it were super friendly and excellent at their job! We also didn’t realize the hotel was so far from campus. Will seek out a hotel closer to USC next time. Be prepared to drive wherever you need to go.

Date of stay: April 2019
Trip type: Traveled with family
CarlyN7309, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express & Suites Columbia Downtown, responded to this reviewResponded April 8, 2019

Hello SarahfG4908ZU, Thank you for the review of our hotel. We are sorry to see that you had so many issues with your stay with us. I have reported your concerns to our General Manager and we will use this feedback to coach our team. Thank you

Reviewed March 9, 2019 via mobile

I had such a wonderful experience staying at this hotel. I had never stayed in Columbia before and was looking for a nice, quick overnight getaway and I was so very satisfied! I arrived at the hotel in the middle of pretty severe weather and the receptionist greeted me warmly and got me checked in with no issues. Accommodations were exactly as described online and immaculately clean! A tornado actually touched down with a few miles of the hotel, and the staff handled it calmly and with ease. I was extremely pleased with my entire experience and will definitely be a return customer!

Date of stay: March 2019
Trip type: Traveled solo
Carly N, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express & Suites Columbia Downtown, responded to this reviewResponded March 11, 2019

Hello Amanda, Thank you for the review of our hotel! We are so sorry to see that you had such bad weather during your stay​ but glad that you were safe at our hotel! We hope to see you again soon! Thanks!

Reviewed February 21, 2019

Hotel was under a renovation but it did not effect the stay. People above me were somewhat loud but that is luck of the draw when staying at a hotel. Overall pretty clean. Only complaint is that on the night stands by the bed there are no outlets to charge phone.

Date of stay: February 2019
  • Trip type: Traveled on business
Carly N, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express & Suites Columbia Downtown, responded to this reviewResponded March 4, 2019

Hello Wesley, Thank you for the review of our hotel! We are sorry to see that the guests above your room were not very quiet. We are in the midst of adding some additional alarm clocks with outlets. We hope to see you again soon! Thanks!

Reviewed February 8, 2019

The room was very run down, though we believe the hotel is being remodeled. The walls are thin though so you hear things from above and next door, and that won't change with the renovation. There were not enough charging ports near the bed (hopefully that gets fixed) and the shower curtain would blow into the shower and touch you (ewwww) but that may get fixed too. The location is very out of the way. We would not have chosen it had we realized that there were not restaurants or amenities in close proximity. There are other hotels in the heart of the area near campus, but this was not it.

Having said all of that, the staff were very nice and the breakfast was decent.

Date of stay: January 2019
Trip type: Traveled with family
IHGService, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express & Suites Columbia Downtown, responded to this reviewResponded February 23, 2019

Hello skormama,

Thank you for taking a moment to let us know how we're doing; we value feedback of all varieties. I am thrilled to hear that our good breakfast and nice staff contributed in making your experience comfortable and memorable. On the other hand, I'm sorry for the inconvenience the inadequate condition of the room assigned to you and hotel location may have caused you. IHG strives to make each stay as pleasant and comfortable as possible, and I appreciate that you brought your experience to my attention. I have made the hotel management aware of your concerns and I am confident that they will take every action possible to ensure these issues are internally addressed and resolved.

Please stay with us again for a more gratifying experience.

Krysllin G.