“Quiet Place to Stay”

Ranked #36 of 94 Hotels in Columbia
Myrtle Beach, South Carolina
“Quiet Place to Stay”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 17, 2014

A great place to stay after a long and tiring day. The rooms are large and quiet. The bed was firm and very comfortable. Large bathroom with a great shower head. Nice little pool for a quick swim. The free breakfast was real good and quite plentiful. Each morning it was different. A little for every taste. Plenty of parking. Hotel is adjacent for all downtown activity. I would stay here again.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled solo
Hiex C, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express & Suites Columbia Downtown, responded to this review, September 29, 2014
Hi Big Bill!
I'm glad that your room exceeded your expectations and that you found it large, quiet & comfortable! I'm also glad that you were able to enjoy our shower heads and the satisfying spa-like experience they provide. I have passed on your comments to our front desk staff as a reminder of what our guests are looking for in a Great stay - Thank you again for your comments and compliments and we hope to see you here in "Famously Hot" Columbia again soon!

Jennifer Maestas

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (49)
Indianapolis, Indiana
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 4, 2014

Scheduled 5 day stay. Hole in bathtub and management scheduled repair - fumes required them to move us. Manager offered $$ credit, IHG points, and to talk to Owner about any additional perk. When we checked out 3 days later, no $$ credit, front desk had no knowledge of additional points or any discussion with owner. Have sent two emails to the manager since leaving and two weeks later no response. Hotel was ok - though they don't know when to service rooms on weekends, front line staff was fine, but manager over promises and under delivers.
Worst manager customer service experience in 30 years of travel

Room Tip: Just avoid this hotel. Their are plenty of others downtown.
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled with family
1 Thank Indpls2014
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express & Suites Columbia Downtown, responded to this review, July 19, 2014
Dear Indpls2014,

Thank you for being one of our IHG Rewards Club Members and writing us feedback. I am very disappointed to hear about your experience on your recent stay. I would love the opportunity to regain your faith and would welcome the opportunity to discuss your stay in further details. We have sent you a private message to obtain additional details regarding your stay. I look forward to hearing back from you very soon.

John O
Case Manager
IHGCare
ORLANDOtOURGUIDE
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 2, 2014

Just stayed here a few nights ago. I'm a Tour Operator - so looking for the best place for my clients. This is fine hotel - beautiful property...even offers a dinner reception of chips and free beer/wine. Staff friendly, welcoming, & helpful.
Room lovely - oh, except the pillows. Put your head down and they almost roll around to cover your face they are so soft. Virtually non- supportive in any way. A waste really . My suggestion to the front desk as I left was just one thing: Add medium or even firm pillows to offset the soft ones offered. Not everyone likes a very soft pillow - and virtually no one needs to experience a sore neck in the morning from poor support all night. We're supposed to relaxing and enjoying our time away! It's kind of tough when we can't sleep because we have no useable pillow. Even if you just added a few types it's be great! Anyway - for those guest coming here, it's great really, just bring, if your own pillow. You'll have a good nights sleep.
Finally, the breakfast -although it's a complete one - probably could be presented a bit better - visually. And the staff there the morning I happened in wasn't very warm to start the morning. She was ok, but all hotels need people persons in that job - seriously. Breakfast is probably the last thing a client experiences as we leave the hotel- and it's a lasting impression. Nice is good; uninterested is bad. (cinnamon rolls had run out and I asked if they were any more...and I kind of got a blank look and a quick "no". This was 9 am. and the breakfast went on to 9:30 a.m.-10:00 a.m. at least. It wasn't time to close up!)
Hotel Mgt: Upgrade the experience to be on par with the rest of the hotel amenities....and remember what you would want if you were visiting
** All in all not a bad place - really- lovely most of it - hotel just needs to be aware of client needs in some important areas.

Room Tip: bring your own pillow
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled on business
1 Thank ORLANDOTOURGUIDE
Greetings Orlando Tour Guide!
I'm sorry to hear that you weren't quite comfortable with the pillows available in your room! Each of our beds should always greet you with both firm and soft pillow options clearly labeled in the embroidery on the edge of the pillowcase. I completely agree that not every likes a soft pillow and I apologize if this affected your sleep in any way! Next time you are here or at any Holiday Inn Express please alert the front desk if you have only soft pillows - you should always have both types and we will be happy to provide replacement or extra pillows of whatever type you'd prefer!
Thank you also for your compliments and comments on our front desk and breakfast staff - we are always striving to provide the best experience for every guest and that goal is impossible without your feedback! Please let us know what we can do to make your next stay Great!

St. Johns
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 20, 2014

Well this hotel is nice and new, the train goes by somewhat close, no horn. The reason I am writing this review is let Retired Military know that no longer do you get the government rates at these chains of hotels. We have stayed many time in a Holiday Inn Express and have always had great service and rooms. But as of now I will never stay in one again. HDI EX Thanks for the support to our retired and retired and disabled service members. Or as most of us are known as just Vets. Seems to be something the People of the US and Big profit Corporations are out to forget. Hope their profit margins go way up with this change. BTW I called Hilton and they do Honor our Service Member Active/Retired/ Disabled by offering the lower rates for their appreciation of "The Vets" protecting the US life style and safety. Rant Over!
E.K
Ret. Disabled Navy!

Room Tip: Know the train is close.
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled with family
1 Thank Ed K
Hiex C, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express & Suites Columbia Downtown, responded to this review, July 1, 2014
Hello from Columbia Ed! I'm sorry if we were unable to offer you the military per diem rate during your visit, but we do require active military orders or the guest to be paying with a GSA card in order to guarantee that rate. These requirements are standard for many hotels, especially in areas close to military bases and other government offices.
I would love the opportunity to speak with you further and see what we can do to make your next visit to Columbia more enjoyable. If you would like to call the hotel at (803) 744-4000 and ask for the general manager, I would be delighted to thank you for your feedback and talk with you personally. Thank you for your time (and service!) and I hope to see you here again soon!
Martinsville, Virginia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 14, 2014

We only stayed one night, but the staff was very friendly and accommodating. The room was clean and comfortable. This was extremely convenient to the Colonial Life Center, which was helpful for us since we were attending a concert there.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled with friends
Hi Jill! We're happy to hear that you enjoyed your stay here in "Famously Hot" Columbia, SC! Our front desk agents are always happy to help with restaurant recommendations, cab service, directions to local interests, and just greeting you with a friendly smile! I hope you enjoyed the concert you attended at the Colonial Life Arena and that you managed to enjoy a great meal in the fabulous Vista nightlife area as well, Please let me know what we can do to make your next stay great!

East Brunswick, New Jersey
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 1, 2014

This hotel appears to be very new. If not, it is extremely well kept.

It is located right off of downtown Columbia and you can get to business, government, USC and restaurants with no problem.

The hotel has a nightly happy hour which is a very nice touch and great to unwind to after a long day.

The staff is very friendly and helpful and looks out for your needs.

It is also a great value and you get a great room and service for the price.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled on business
Hiex C, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express & Suites Columbia Downtown, responded to this review, September 25, 2014
Hi Paul!
Thank you for your compliments on our facilities and staff! We are proud of our building and work hard to keep it looking great for all of our guests. We're also pleased that you enjoyed our Manager's Happy Hour as it is a great time for our guests to meet and mingle with each other - usually everyone has a lot of fun. I have also passed along your compliments about our staff's friendliness and service to them as a reminder that their attentiveness to guest's needs does not go unnoticed.
Thank you again for taking the time to review your stay and we look forward to seeing you again in Columbia soon!

5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 26, 2014 via mobile

I was there last month for work having the worst time with flights and such and I ended up getting stuck downtown at 2 am with no where to go. The night person Anice was very nice she noticed I was having a bad day and she was very helpful to getting what I needed and making sure I was comfortable. She went out of her way when the cab I called did not show up when I needed them to, she took me herself so that I would not miss my scheduled charter. I know she must have been tired working all night and who knows how far out of her way she went to take me there. I was on time and got home safely thanks to such a caring person. That was wonderful customer service!

Stayed April 2014, traveled with friends
Hiex C, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express & Suites Columbia Downtown, responded to this review, June 2, 2014
Thank you for taking the time to comment on your recent stay with us! I am glad we were able to accommodate you after what sounds like a long and frustrating journey! I have passed along your compliments to our front desk staff, especially Anneice, and they will be happy and encouraged to know that their efforts to make our guests comfortable are appreciated. Thank you again for your lovely review and we hope to see you again soon when your travels bring you back to Columbia!