“Great, if they could just ditch those pillows and...” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Holiday Inn Express & Suites Columbia Downtown

Holiday Inn Express & Suites Columbia Downtown
Ranked #37 of 96 Hotels in Columbia
ORLANDOtOURGUIDE
“Great, if they could just ditch those pillows and...”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 2, 2014

Just stayed here a few nights ago. I'm a Tour Operator - so looking for the best place for my clients. This is fine hotel - beautiful property...even offers a dinner reception of chips and free beer/wine. Staff friendly, welcoming, & helpful.
Room lovely - oh, except the pillows. Put your head down and they almost roll around to cover your face they are so soft. Virtually non- supportive in any way. A waste really . My suggestion to the front desk as I left was just one thing: Add medium or even firm pillows to offset the soft ones offered. Not everyone likes a very soft pillow - and virtually no one needs to experience a sore neck in the morning from poor support all night. We're supposed to relaxing and enjoying our time away! It's kind of tough when we can't sleep because we have no useable pillow. Even if you just added a few types it's be great! Anyway - for those guest coming here, it's great really, just bring, if your own pillow. You'll have a good nights sleep.
Finally, the breakfast -although it's a complete one - probably could be presented a bit better - visually. And the staff there the morning I happened in wasn't very warm to start the morning. She was ok, but all hotels need people persons in that job - seriously. Breakfast is probably the last thing a client experiences as we leave the hotel- and it's a lasting impression. Nice is good; uninterested is bad. (cinnamon rolls had run out and I asked if they were any more...and I kind of got a blank look and a quick "no". This was 9 am. and the breakfast went on to 9:30 a.m.-10:00 a.m. at least. It wasn't time to close up!)
Hotel Mgt: Upgrade the experience to be on par with the rest of the hotel amenities....and remember what you would want if you were visiting
** All in all not a bad place - really- lovely most of it - hotel just needs to be aware of client needs in some important areas.

Room Tip: bring your own pillow
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled on business
    • 2 of 5 stars
1 Thank ORLANDOTOURGUIDE
Hiex C, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express & Suites Columbia Downtown, responded to this review, September 29, 2014
Greetings Orlando Tour Guide!
I'm sorry to hear that you weren't quite comfortable with the pillows available in your room! Each of our beds should always greet you with both firm and soft pillow options clearly labeled in the embroidery on the edge of the pillowcase. I completely agree that not every likes a soft pillow and I apologize if this affected your sleep in any way! Next time you are here or at any Holiday Inn Express please alert the front desk if you have only soft pillows - you should always have both types and we will be happy to provide replacement or extra pillows of whatever type you'd prefer!
Thank you also for your compliments and comments on our front desk and breakfast staff - we are always striving to provide the best experience for every guest and that goal is impossible without your feedback! Please let us know what we can do to make your next stay Great!

Jennifer Maestas

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (47)
St. Johns
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 20, 2014

Well this hotel is nice and new, the train goes by somewhat close, no horn. The reason I am writing this review is let Retired Military know that no longer do you get the government rates at these chains of hotels. We have stayed many time in a Holiday Inn Express and have always had great service and rooms. But as of now I will never stay in one again. HDI EX Thanks for the support to our retired and retired and disabled service members. Or as most of us are known as just Vets. Seems to be something the People of the US and Big profit Corporations are out to forget. Hope their profit margins go way up with this change. BTW I called Hilton and they do Honor our Service Member Active/Retired/ Disabled by offering the lower rates for their appreciation of "The Vets" protecting the US life style and safety. Rant Over!
E.K
Ret. Disabled Navy!

Room Tip: Know the train is close.
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled with family
    • 2 of 5 stars
1 Thank Ed K
Hiex C, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express & Suites Columbia Downtown, responded to this review, July 1, 2014
Hello from Columbia Ed! I'm sorry if we were unable to offer you the military per diem rate during your visit, but we do require active military orders or the guest to be paying with a GSA card in order to guarantee that rate. These requirements are standard for many hotels, especially in areas close to military bases and other government offices.
I would love the opportunity to speak with you further and see what we can do to make your next visit to Columbia more enjoyable. If you would like to call the hotel at (803) 744-4000 and ask for the general manager, I would be delighted to thank you for your feedback and talk with you personally. Thank you for your time (and service!) and I hope to see you here again soon!
Martinsville, Virginia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 14, 2014

We only stayed one night, but the staff was very friendly and accommodating. The room was clean and comfortable. This was extremely convenient to the Colonial Life Center, which was helpful for us since we were attending a concert there.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled with friends
    • 5 of 5 stars
Hi Jill! We're happy to hear that you enjoyed your stay here in "Famously Hot" Columbia, SC! Our front desk agents are always happy to help with restaurant recommendations, cab service, directions to local interests, and just greeting you with a friendly smile! I hope you enjoyed the concert you attended at the Colonial Life Arena and that you managed to enjoy a great meal in the fabulous Vista nightlife area as well, Please let me know what we can do to make your next stay great!

East Brunswick, New Jersey
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 1, 2014

This hotel appears to be very new. If not, it is extremely well kept.

It is located right off of downtown Columbia and you can get to business, government, USC and restaurants with no problem.

The hotel has a nightly happy hour which is a very nice touch and great to unwind to after a long day.

The staff is very friendly and helpful and looks out for your needs.

It is also a great value and you get a great room and service for the price.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled on business
    • 5 of 5 stars
Hiex C, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express & Suites Columbia Downtown, responded to this review, September 25, 2014
Hi Paul!
Thank you for your compliments on our facilities and staff! We are proud of our building and work hard to keep it looking great for all of our guests. We're also pleased that you enjoyed our Manager's Happy Hour as it is a great time for our guests to meet and mingle with each other - usually everyone has a lot of fun. I have also passed along your compliments about our staff's friendliness and service to them as a reminder that their attentiveness to guest's needs does not go unnoticed.
Thank you again for taking the time to review your stay and we look forward to seeing you again in Columbia soon!

5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 26, 2014 via mobile

I was there last month for work having the worst time with flights and such and I ended up getting stuck downtown at 2 am with no where to go. The night person Anice was very nice she noticed I was having a bad day and she was very helpful to getting what I needed and making sure I was comfortable. She went out of her way when the cab I called did not show up when I needed them to, she took me herself so that I would not miss my scheduled charter. I know she must have been tired working all night and who knows how far out of her way she went to take me there. I was on time and got home safely thanks to such a caring person. That was wonderful customer service!

Stayed April 2014, traveled with friends
Hiex C, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express & Suites Columbia Downtown, responded to this review, June 2, 2014
Thank you for taking the time to comment on your recent stay with us! I am glad we were able to accommodate you after what sounds like a long and frustrating journey! I have passed along your compliments to our front desk staff, especially Anneice, and they will be happy and encouraged to know that their efforts to make our guests comfortable are appreciated. Thank you again for your lovely review and we hope to see you again soon when your travels bring you back to Columbia!
Baton Rouge, Louisiana
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 11, 2014

Overall a good choice and a comfortable place to stay. Lobby and rooms were very clean. Front Desk staff was very polite and helpful. Breakfast was above average for buffet at similar medium priced hotels (turkey sausage vs pork was a nice touch). I had one minor maintenance issue with the drain in the bathroom sink. Told the front desk as we left and it was fixed when we returned four hours later which I found quite impressive, especially with hotel full due to USC graduation.

Two words of caution. First, the map on TripAdvisor shows incorrect location. Hotel is 4 blocks farther from downtown at the intersection of Taylor and Huger (check correct location with address on MapQuest). I was trying to get within easy walking distance of my daughter's apartment so this was particularly aggravating since I made non-refundable reservations months ago due to graduation. Checked again tonight and location is still incorrect. Not the end of the world but I cannot understand how/why map on TripAdviser is incorrect.

Second, location is very close to railroad tracks. Roads run over the tracks so there are no train whistles but train rumble can certainly be heard if you are on that side of the hotel. Not an issue for me but could be if you are a very light sleeper.

Even with the above two issues, I would stay there again. Also would recommend it to others as long as the two cautions are not deal breakers for your situation.

Room Tip: If you're a light sleeper get a room on the side away from the railroad tracks.
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple
Greetings John!
Thank you for your compliments and for taking the time to review your stay with us. We take pride in our clean, comfortable guest rooms and inviting lobby area and are glad that you enjoyed it as well.
I'm sorry for any confusion that TripAdvisor's map may have caused for your plans, we have provided them with our correct street address and are working to get this issue corrected so it will not affect future guests. I hope that you still consider this a minor inconvenience as you said in your review.
We hope that you enjoyed your time here in "Famously Hot" Columbia and look forward to seeing you again soon - please let me know what we can do to make your next stay even better!

Greenville, South Carolina, United States
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 5, 2014

Booked this place for a short one night trip. The room was nice. The high ceilings were a nice touch. The front desk was polite and helpful. The door locks were a little tricky. They didn't want to open unless you held your breath the exact way. Seems like something they could fix. We didn't eat breakfast, but it seemed nice. Eggs and sausage which is nice for free continental.The location was good. It's right downtown (walking distance from Congaree Vista) so there is some neat places to eat. Overall, if you are looking for a nice place to stay for pretty good price, check it out.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled with family
    • 4 of 5 stars
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express & Suites Columbia Downtown, responded to this review, May 20, 2014
Dear Philip M,

Thank you for your considerate review. It is lovely to hear you liked our location and found the front desk polite and helpful. It is our goal to consistently provide superior service and accommodations at our hotel and your comments are very important to us. We rely on you, our guest, to let us know how we are doing and how we can better meet your needs. We have taken note of your valuable comments regarding the door locks and will use these to monitor and improve the quality of product we offer to our guests.

Connie D