“Good basic hotel”

Holiday Inn Express & Suites Columbia Downtown
Ranked #37 of 93 Hotels in Columbia
Reviewed April 15, 2013

We stayed one night. The hotel is relatively new. The reception desk staff were freindly. The room was clean and bed comfortable. The hotel is very close to a busy intersection and we had some road noise in our 1st floor room. Breakfast was adequate . The hotel is close to the state capital and resturants and shops but not really walking distance.

Room Tip: Upper room on back side of hotel would be quieter.
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank romintheworld
Hiex C, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express & Suites Columbia Downtown, responded to this reviewResponded April 17, 2013

Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel. We are located in the main downtown area so the traffic noise can be a little loud depending on the time of day. The front desk staff is always willing to help you find a quiet room so please always feel free to ask. We hope you come back again soon!

Reviewed April 10, 2013

We stayed here while visiting Columbia from Charleston to see Bill Maher at the Koger Center. We also checked out The Oak Table while we were here. Both were awesome.

This place is basically a mile from both so easily walking distance--if it's not "Famously Hot" that night!

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple
Hiex C, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express & Suites Columbia Downtown, responded to this reviewResponded April 11, 2013

We are happy you enjoyed your stay with the Holiday Inn Express Downtown! We are in a good location to get to the main attractions and sites in Columbia without having to be located in the crowded areas. Thank you for taking the time to send us a review. We hope you will get to come back again soon!

Reviewed April 1, 2013 via mobile

We stayed here 2 nights when in town for a funeral. The location is very good with easy access to downtown, the vista, and West Columbia. The hotel is very nicely decorated, the staff was excellent, the breakfast plentiful, the room very clean. Our only two issues were that our king - size bed was very bouncy. A bit like sleeping on a trampoline. Which I HATE. Secondly, our street -side room, 216, had a lot of traffic noise at night as the hotel is on a busy thoroughfare on one side. So for light sleepers, that was bothersome.
Overall the hotel was very nice. If we stay there again we will request a room not on the street side, and we will to see if our bed is bouncy.

• Stayed: April 2013
Hiex C, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express & Suites Columbia Downtown, responded to this reviewResponded April 3, 2013

Thank you for taking the time to review about your stay! I am very pleased to hear the hotel staff and the rooms meet your expectations. I apologize for the inconvenience the street side of the hotel had caused during your stay. Please always feel free to bring these to the attention of the front desk and they will do the best they can to move you to a quieter room. We hope you come back again soon!

Reviewed March 24, 2013

Great staff and location. This was a wonderful two nights in Columbia. It's a little off the "strip" but a quick walk or 5 minute cab ride to where you need to be. The front desk staff, including Brooke and Jenny - two attractive ladies - were friendly, polite and very helpful. They offered maps, restaurant and bar suggestions, and even stored my luggage while I was away for meetings. The breakfast staff in the morning was just as friendly and served up a helping of southern hospitality along with the delicious cinnamon rolls! :)
The rooms are clean, comfortable and quiet. If I return to Columbia, I will definitely try and stay here (although both nights while I was there, they were sold out. So book early and often!).

Room Tip: Be friendly and polite to the front desk staff and they will go out of their way to accommodate your...
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled solo
Hiex C, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express & Suites Columbia Downtown, responded to this reviewResponded March 26, 2013

I am glad to hear you enjoyed your stay here at the Holiday Inn Express Downtown! We appreciate the time you took to write us a review and thank you for the kind words. I have passed along the compliments to both Brook and Jenny. The front desk staff tries to make your stay as enjoyable as possible with recommendation to restaurants in the Vista area that is just 3 blocks away. I have also passed along the compliment to the breakfast attendant. Make sure to book in advance as the season progresses so you can guarantee your stay. You can also find advanced special offers on the hotels website to make future reservations! We hope you come back again soon and we will have the brands wonderful cinnamon rolls waiting!

Reviewed March 7, 2013

Last week of January was my 1st experience staying at Holiday Inn Express - 4 nights away from home & family for business was very nice. Hotel staff was cordial. Although the hotel was not convenient to work, it was convenient to Publix & Lizard's Thicket. Due to my business having an account here, I had to drive into work though busy traffic; the following 4 weeks included 2 night stays and a 1 night stay, so tonight will be my 11th overnight stay here in at 501 Taylor Street. Good breakfast, nice fitness center, nice front desk staff - the bill was placed on my credit card for the 1st week which surprised me that that ball was dropped, but they got that fixed expeditiously. Overall, I would give this hotel a very good recommendation based on value and pleasant staff. Chances are really good that if you stay here you will have a very good experience!

Room Tip: Odd numbered rooms [parking lot side] are the quieter rooms
  • Stayed: January 2013, traveled on business
Hiex C, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express & Suites Columbia Downtown, responded to this reviewResponded March 8, 2013

I am happy you enjoyed your stay while you were with us for so many days. I am sorry to hear that your billing was incorrect the first time but am happy to hear that we corrected it quickly. Its always nice to hear that the staff was pleasent and I am able to pass those complements along to them. We hope you come back again soon whether for work or leisure.

Reviewed February 22, 2013

Spent the night here with my girlfriend for our anniversary. Ryan was great and took $10 off of my rate. Tasha and Justin were also very memorable. The staff definitely knew what they were doing and gave great customer service. Hotel isn't directly in the vista but close enough for the money. Would not hesitate to stay here again.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple
Hiex C, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express & Suites Columbia Downtown, responded to this reviewResponded February 27, 2013

I am happy to hear that the staff was able to make your stay memorable. I have passed along to the individuals you mentioned the compliment. We appreciate you taking the time to review our hotel and staff. We are only about 2-3 blocks from the Vista area giving a short distance to travel but you don't have to stay right in all the busy activity. We hope to see you back again!

Reviewed February 21, 2013

We were in town visiting our son who attends the University of South Carolina and decided to stay at the Holiday Inn Express. The staff was extremely friendly and accommodating. The manager, Cera was extremely helpful. She was very attentive to our needs during our stay, she even directed us to some local restaurants. Overall the staff was very friendly and they guaranteed a return visit from the Wades!

• Stayed: February 2013
Hiex C, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express & Suites Columbia Downtown, responded to this reviewResponded February 22, 2013

Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel. I have passed along the comment to my staff. I am glad to hear I was able to assit you during your stay. Everyone at the Holiday Inn Express Downtown works to make the guest stay the best it can be. We hope to see you and your family back during football season and parents weekend!!