TripAdvisor
Columbia
Post
Inbox
Search

“Well, at least the pizza was good, but that's about it.”
Review of Thirsty Fellow

Thirsty Fellow
Order Online
Ranked #11 of 1,135 Restaurants in Columbia
Cuisines: American, Pizza
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast
Description: Located by the University of South Carolina, we are a full service restaurant and bar open 7 days/week. Casual atmosphere, dining room and covered deck, close to USC athletic activities and concerts at the Colonial Life Arena and Koger Center.
Reviewed 4 weeks ago

Stopped by Thirsty Fellow for lunch because of the great reviews, and when we showed up the line was out the door, and it was packed, which tends to be a good omen. Sadly, that's where the good news ended. Given that it was just the two of us and we didn't want leftovers, we ordered a couple of appetizers and a pizza. I will be the first to admit, the pizza was very good, and the crust was clearly fresh and homemade. The appetizers were really sub-optimal, and tasted as though they were simply reheated products off the Sysco truck. The bread that came the spinach-artichoke dip hadn't even been toasted, and it was just bland Italian bread. If a group of you is just coming for pizzas and beers, have at it; it's great, but if you're going to eat off the rest of the menu, you are likely going to be underwhelmed.

Date of visit: October 2019
Terry D, Owner at Thirsty Fellow, responded to this reviewResponded 3 weeks ago

So sorry you didn’t have a good experience. The reviews and line really do tell the true story. Give us another try.

Write a reviewReviews (241)

Reviewed 4 weeks ago via mobile

Came here after a swim meet. Watched some football and ate a really good lunch. We had pretzel and cheese and that was friggin awesome! Hubs had French dip and house chips and said the bread being really fresh made it above average for him. Kid had chicken fingers and fries and she seemed to really like those. They were real chicken not processed crap. I had Philly cheesesteak with American cheese (American cheese is not philly in my book) and fries. It was pretty good but would’ve been better with the real cheese used in most Philly cheese. All in all we would come here again.

Date of visit: October 2019
Reviewed October 8, 2019

Have eater here twice while visiting my son at USC. Solid beer selection, great food. Delicious burger (with egg on it). Can be crowded, but a great choice to hang out and eat.

Date of visit: September 2019
Reviewed September 3, 2019

Bustling place, many TVs with sports on. Best Philly Cheese Steak in town. Spinach salad is great. Parking available and a paid lot nearby, close to Colonial Life Arena and Founders Park

Date of visit: May 2019
Reviewed August 12, 2019

I came here with my family years ago and we enjoyed hot, fresh food and big portions. I came here with my ex-best friend and received the same. I'm happy to say that I finally came here with my husband and got the same...except his lemon pepper wings were fried hard and extremely dry, like pulling apart cardboard. Luckily, that was the only downfall of the visit. The stuffed banana peppers are my favorite menu item and they certainly didn't disappoint. Overall, get ready for a sports bar atmosphere with wines and beer, a mixed crowd of families and friends, and hostesses in booty shorts. Geez.

Date of visit: August 2019
Terry D, Owner at Thirsty Fellow, responded to this reviewResponded August 13, 2019

Thank you for your review and I'm glad our quality has held up. We'll celebrate our 10th anniversary in December, and try to maintain our quality, portions and service. I'll check into the lemon-pepper wings.