“No feijoada or rodizio” 2 of 5 bubbles
Review of Cowboy Brazilian Steakhouse

Cowboy Brazilian Steakhouse
Reserve with OpenTable
Cowboy Brazilian Steakhouse is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #48 of 962 Restaurants in Columbia
Cuisines: Brazilian, Steakhouse, South American
Good for: Business meetings, Families with children, Special occasions, Large groups
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Late Night, Full Bar, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Valet Parking, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: Hampton St.
Colonia, Uruguay
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“No feijoada or rodizio”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 7, 2013

We went there today for a going-away party for a colleague. Having lived in

Rio for two years, and then later returning extensively to visit a client

there, I was expecting a letdown, but not this bad.

My first shock was to learn that this Brazilian churrascaria does not offer

rodizio at lunch. Instead, one has to pay for meat a-la-carte. I ordered 4 oz. of medium-rare beef for $3.50. They arrived perfectly cooked, but flavorless and very tough. I added some salt so I could get it down.

My next surprise was that they do not offer feijoada - ever. I asked why, and was told that some people don't eat meat, so they just don't carry it.

Feijoada is the national dish of Brasil. This logic is akin to an Italian restaurant not offering meat ravioli or lasagna - only veggie versions, because some people don't eat meat.

• Visited October 2013
1 Thank eddiecohen

Washington, DC
“Great Veggies!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 16, 2013

Visited on a Sunday evening with a business colleague since it was within walking distance of our hotel. It was really empty, but filled up a bit later. Although I don't eat meat, I really appreciated that they offered the dinner option without the meat service. I ate from the buffet, which was perfect! There were fresh salads, fruits, cheeses, and even hot foods like black beans and rice. I like the concept of the Brazilian steakhouse, just wished I ate meat because everything they brought out for my colleague was hot, well-cooked and looked delicious. Plus, the staff treated us great. I will return again next month while on business.

• Visited July 2013
columbia, sc
“Not bad”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 27, 2013

My wife and I ate here recently wanting to try out the whole Brazilian Steakhouse experience. We enjoyed the meat. The meat was very tasty, lots to choose from, and service was good. However, the atmosphere was almost cafeteria like and not at all like a nice restaurant should be on Main St. The sides and salad bar were average at best. Overall I am glad we have been there but I won't be rushing to go back.

• Visited July 2013
Columbia, SC
“Fun Place to Eat”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 28, 2013

My wife and I had been waiting for a special occasion to visit Cowboy Brazilian Steakhouse and decided the time was right on our 30th anniversary. Cowboy's is located in the old Kress dime store building right across from the art museum on Main Street. It was a Monday night so the restaurant was uncrowded, but reservations are probably needed on Friday or Saturday evenings. If you are not familiar with this concept, there is a cold buffet with vegetables, salads, cheeses and shrimp, etc. and 4-5 hot items. You may go back as often as you wish, of course. The shrimp, braised mushrooms and asparagus were my favorites, and the black beans and rice was also good. The meat is what most people come for, though. You are given a disc that looks like a drink coaster but it is red on one side and green on the other. Gauchos (cowboys) walk the restaurant, each with one kind of meat, looking for the green disc. When they see one, they stop and ask if you would care for whatever kind of meat they have. They will give you as much as you want and then they go to the next table. You may have as many different kinds and as much of each as you can hold. When you need a break, or if you are finally full, turn the disc to the red side and they will not stop at your table until you change it back to green. Alcoholic drinks and deserts are extra. Because it was our anniversary, our creme brulee was free -- and it was also very good. One is more than enough for two people and we actually took some home. Our waiter then surprised us by singing the Etta James classic, "At Last" to us. I cannot say it was the best food I have ever had but we had a good time and is the only place like this in Columbia that I am aware of. A little pricey at $30 per person but it's something different and you will likely have fun. Give it a try -- especially if its a special occasion.

• Visited May 2013
North Fort Myers, Florida
“Excellent food, slow servers”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 22, 2013

This had been my first experience at a Brazillian Steakhouse so I don't have much to compare it to. I was in Columbia on business and it came highly recommended. The salad bar was excellent -- everything was fresh and constantly replaced. I especially liked the fresh mozzarella and the beautiful shrimp that was every bit as good as the shrimp we get from Florida. The quality of the meat dishes were excellent too!

Because I was dining alone I was given a small table for two by the front door. I noticed the waiters do not come around to this area very often as compared to the main areas of the restaurant and, when they do, the two tables in this areas are more of an after thought. My server was great and the service greatly improved after he specifically asked them to visit my table. I would recommend dining in the areas with other diners so this doesn't happen to you. It also happened to the party of 3 in the table next to mine.

Overall it was very good and I would definitely go back. Also keep in mind that this is not fast food. It takes some time to eat a meal here, but it's worth the wait.

• Visited May 2013
    • 5 of 5 bubbles

Been to Cowboy Brazilian Steakhouse? Share your experiences!