“my daughters army boot camp graduation”

Wingate by Wyndham Columbia/Harbison
Ranked #26 of 93 Hotels in Columbia
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed April 14, 2013

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled solo
Review collected in partnership with Wingate by Wyndham
Danielle S, Guest Relations Manager at Wingate by Wyndham Columbia/Harbison, responded to this reviewResponded April 19, 2013

Reviewed April 13, 2013

Very nice, clean and new looking. Better rate than the other hotels in the area and just as nice if not better.

Dear Mark M,

Thank you very much for your five star review! We are so glad that you and your family chose to stay with us at the Wingate Harbison hotel during your recent trip to Columbia, South Carolina. We strive to offer an excellent value for our hotel guests, so we are delighted to hear all of your positive feedback. We appreciate the kind words about our new look and clean hotel. Please come back and visit us again very soon at the Wingate Harbison hotel in Columbia!

Wingate Columbia Harbison Management Team

Reviewed April 13, 2013

My husband and I enjoy the Wingates and like any chain, some locations are better than others. The hotel is older than others we have frequented and although it is clean and the rooms are large and well appointed, it doesn't measure up to others. The pillows are white covered lumps and more suited to sham pillows than sleeping pillows. Nice beds but very noisy air conditioner. Service is average and the internet connection is spotty. Hot water is not in great supply when many people are using it.

Dear Patroberts_11,

A special thanks to you and your family for joining us at the Wingate Harbison hotel during your recent trip to Columbia, South Carolina! We appreciate the kind words about our clean, well appointed guest rooms. However, we are disappointed to hear that you experienced a few inconveniences during your stay. We encourage guests to contact our front desk team immediately with any questions or concerns during their visit. From finding new pillows to fixing an air conditioner to assisting guests with their internet connection, we are happy to help in any way that we can so that guests can have an enjoyable stay at our hotel. It is our goal to offer excellent service and accommodations to each and every one of our guests, and we are truly sorry that we did not live up to those high standards on this particular visit. Thanks again for all of your time! It is feedback like yours that allows us to improve and better serve our future guests. Please come back and visit us again very soon so that we can provide the exceptional service that you and all of our guests deserve!

Wingate Harbison Management Team

Reviewed April 11, 2013

I booked this hotel because it was recommended on the military website. My cousin graduated from boot camp and we came to support him! I am traveling with my 82 year old grandmother who is very delicate. We arrived at the hotel on 4/9/2013 at about 5:30pm. The 2 front desk agents were very nice and got us checked in very quickly. We put our luggage down and left to go eat dinner. When we came back my grandmother decided to take a shower and I laid down on the bed. When she got out of the shower and went to her bed, she noticed that the sheets were dirty. After taking a closer look we noticed they there were things moving on the bed, it was bed bugs!
I walked down to the front desk and informed the agents of my concern. She was very quick to sincerely apologize. I asked to speak with her manager only to find out that they do not have a manager at night. She Informed me that Wingate was sold out for the night and told me that she was going to try and find us a different hotel. after making many phone calls she let me know that there were no rooms available in the city. She called him at home and informed him of the situation. After about 2 hours I was told that they found me a place to stay but it was about 15 miles away. I asked if they had any other rooms available here, they said no. I was given a paid out of $60.00 and told to go to the American inn and come back tomorrow for a new room. I was also told that the manager was going to call me in the morning to let me know how to proceed.
I had to pack our bags and help my 82 year old grandmother move all of our belongings at 10:00pm at night after a very long flight to get to Columbia.
When we arrived at the American inn we saw that this was not at all comparable to the hotel we had just left. It was a motor lodge that was in a dark parking lot away from everything. When I got in the room, there was no smoke alarm, the walls were coming apart and the bathroom was full of mold. We did not feel safe but had no choice.
On 4/10/2013 we got up and had to get ready for family day at Fort Jackson. At 12:00 pm I had still not heard from the manager so I left my family and went to the hotel to get our room. The manager (Justin) pulled me into his office and informed me that they didn't find anything in the room. I showed him the pictures that I had on my phone of what i found,but he insisted that the room was clean and no bugs were found. Justin told me that he was not able to further assist me and that I would need to speak with his boss Carol. I asked to speak with her but was informed that she would not be available until 9am the next day because she was at a different property. I asked if she had a number that she could be reached at and was also told no.
At 1:45pm I was given a room on a different floor. I walked in and inspected the sheets only to find ANOTHER BEDBUG!!! I called Justin to the room so that I could show him what I had found. He assured me that he inspected this room 3 different times to insure that it was clean and bug free. It was not until I showed him proof that he finally apologized to me and told me he was going to find me a different hotel AGAIN! I left to join my family once again as I had just spent almost 2 hours trying to fix this situation. An hour later Justin called me to tell me he booked me at a new hotel 5 minutes away only to find out agin that it was about 30 minutes away.
Today 4/11/2013 I showed up to speak with Carol (The head manager). I greeted her and asked her if Justin had explained my situation. She would not look at me and with a very snotty attitude told me that there was nothing found in any rooms. I explained that I had pictures of the bugs and that I was concerned about taking my clothes back home for the possibility of taking bedbugs with us. I asked if she would be willing to clean our clothes. Carol quickly stopped me and informed me that she would not assist me any further.

Beware of this hotel. Management lacks and instead of taking care of the issues they deny them.

• Stayed: April 2013
3  Thank anwinun
Danielle S, Guest Relations Manager at Wingate by Wyndham Columbia/Harbison, responded to this reviewResponded April 16, 2013

Dear anwinun,

Thank you for taking the time to share your concerns with our team. We truly apologize for the inconveniences that you experienced on this particular visit. We appreciate your patience while we worked hard to find you a room at a different hotel. Last week was Masters week in Augusta and the golf tournament sells out the city of Columbia as well. This is why it took a little while to find a room nearby. Again, we appreciate your patience while we found another option for you and your family.
We would also like to thank you for bringing your concern about bed bugs immediately to our attention. We do not take the possibility of bed bug infestation lightly, and immediately contacted our pest control provider to inspect the rooms. After a thorough investigation, the pest control provider reported that there were not any signs of bed bugs. As always, we will continue to have our hotel inspected on a regular basis and we will immediately act on even the slightest concerns of our guests. If you have any additional questions about the investigation, please contact us directly and we will be happy to share the report details.
Finally, we would like to thank you for sharing feedback about our customer service. We strive to offer excellent customer service to each and every one of our guests and we are very sorry that you feel we did not live up to those high standards on this particular visit. We have shared this review with our entire management team, including the owner of the hotel, so that we can make changes as needed to improve the overall experience for future guests.
Thanks again for all of your time and feedback. We truly appreciate it and sincerely apologize for each and every inconvenience that you experienced during your stay.

Wingate Harbison Management Team

Reviewed April 9, 2013

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with Wingate by Wyndham
Danielle S, Guest Relations Manager at Wingate by Wyndham Columbia/Harbison, responded to this reviewResponded April 15, 2013

Reviewed April 8, 2013

Great beds and location
Good breakfast
Need Nick Jr. TV channel
Staff was tired or didn't seem to care much - not rude, seemed overworked

Dear Clay C,

A special thanks to you and your family for choosing to stay with us at the Wingate Columbia hotel! We truly appreciate your five star ratings and the kind words about our great beds, great location, and free breakfast buffet! While we do not have Nick Jr. TV, we hope that you and your family were able to enjoy PBS, Cartoon Network, and Nickelodeon! We would also like to thank you for the feedback about our customer service. Providing excellent customer service to our guests is one of our top priorities, so we will share this feedback with our management team. Thanks again for all of your time! We appreciate it and hope that you will come back and visit us again soon at the Wingate Harbison hotel.

Wingate Columbia Harbison Management Team