“Nice, clean stay for our family of 5!”

Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Columbia
Ranked #39 of 94 Hotels in Columbia
Clermont, Florida
“Nice, clean stay for our family of 5!”
Reviewed July 16, 2013

We stayed here when driving from PA to FL. Our room had a sofabed and 2 queen beds. Our room was clean and comfortable. The pool looked great, many people were swimming in it. The breakfast was a great start to help us finish our long drive the next day.
Staff overall was pleasant but on our departing morning they were hanging around the front desk kind of bashing the place they worked for, seemed like the morale was low.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
Jim M, Director of Sales at Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Columbia, responded to this review, August 23, 2013
Dear tracey11474,

Thank you for your comments on your recent stay. We appreciate your kind words and will share them with the staff. Our staff strives everyday to give the best experience to our guests and we are always pleased to hear from satisfied customers. We hope to see you again!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (24)
Weston, Florida
Reviewed July 13, 2013

We stayed here last July on our travels and returned this year instead of searching for somewhere else to stay. We had a favorable stay last July and I'm glad we returned. The hotel is right off the highway on our travels from FL to NC. We checked in easily (the desk clerk was very pleasant) and were given keys to a room. We went to the room to find a king bed plus pull out couch when we thought we had booked a double queen plus couch. The desk clerk quickly apologized and fixed the situation by giving us a new room.

The room is spacious for the 5 of us. You walk in and pass a small open closet then the bathroom. The bathroom is small and we would prefer if the sink was separate from bath & toilet but for one night it's ok. It is just a tight fit when you open the bathroom door because it opens towards the toilet and bath. Anyway, there is a small wet bar area with fridge so that is nice. There is a coffee maker but we didn't use it. There's a Starbucks a mile down the street. ;) The beds a high and comfy. The tv is centrally located in the room and visible from the couch/sleeper sofa which is by the window. There is a desk & chair too so plenty of space to go where you won't feel crowded.

We are picky about cleanliness and didn't experience a problem at all. The rooms are fresh and clean. The lobby is a little weird and could use a make over but its not unclean. The pool (indoor) looked questionable but we weren't planning to use it anyway. We drove 4.5 miles towards the city center and there were plenty of nice sit-down restaurants to eat at. We ate at Hunter Gatherer and thoroughly enjoyed it.

There are lots of other hotels in the area but for 2 years in a row we have been happy with this one. Worth a try. :)

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Jim M, Director of Sales at Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Columbia, responded to this review, July 16, 2013
Dear LucyL,

We are so glad to see you again and glad that your stay with us was enjoyable and meet your needs. I am glad to hear that our Front Desk treated you like family and made the necessary changes. Our guest rooms are spacious and recently remodeled with updated furnishings and bedding. The lobby is planned for some minor updates in the near future to match the guest rooms. I am glad that you made the short trip to downtown near the university as there are many great restaurants like the Hunter Gather(a favorite of mine). We look forward to seeing you again in the future.
Reviewed July 11, 2013 via mobile

We decided to leave a day early for the beach and go 1/2 way. We stopped at another hotel but was not impressed. A family member mentioned a new Country Inn & Suites on this exit so we checked it out & was very pleased with our first impression. We have 3 children who loved the pool and my husband & I enjoyed the equipment in the fitness room. The suite was spacious and plenty of room for our family of 5. The hotel is clean and it was a good value for a new hotel. I would definately recommend this hotel & stay again.

• Stayed July 2013
Dear Sportsmom1,

Thank you for your comments on your recent stay and we are pleased that you choose the Country Inn & Suites over the other hotels in the area. Our indoor pool and fitness center with new equipment is the best way to relax and unwind after a day of traveling with your family. Our spacious rooms are perfect for the family and I hope you took advantage of the Complimentary Hot Breakfast before you hit the road. We hope to see you again in the future should your travels bring you through Columbia, SC.
Reviewed July 2, 2013 via mobile

I was very pleased with my stay at this hotel. The lady that checked me in was very polite and professional and my room was spotless. I like a hot shower and cold AC and this room delivered! Wifi worked great and the room was quiet enough to allow me to work for several hours without distraction. I will be back.

• Stayed July 2013
Jim M, Director of Sales at Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Columbia, responded to this review, July 3, 2013
Dear joefromjohnsisland,

Thank you for your kind remarks! We are so pleased that you had a great stay beginning with check-in at the front desk to a nice, clean and spacious guest room. It is always great to hear from our guests about their stay and look forward to your return soon. Make sure you get a fresh, warm cookie when you check in next time!
Reviewed June 21, 2013

I recently stayed in this hotel when I was on a trip with my child. I had placed a bid for a hotel on Priceline with a 7 star or greater rating and I got this particular hotel. I will never do that again. The front desk employee was nice but was obviously overwhelmed as she was the only person working there. First impressions mean a lot and with this hotel my first impression was not good. The first thing you see when you walk to the front of the hotel are swings with ashtrays that have not been cleared. How unappealing is that? Next, the room. It seemed okay until I went into the bathroom. Mold on shower curtain and the toilet had not been cleaned and it was disgusting. I'm glad I was only staying there one day. The exercise facilities are a joke. A stepper, an outdated and may hurt you treadmill (seemed like it was probably new in 1982..maybe), and a bench with nothing else. Breakfast was nothing special. I would not recommend staying here. Pay a little extra and stay in the Hampton across the street.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
Jim M, Director of Sales at Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Columbia, responded to this review, July 2, 2013
Dear Tarae3,

Thank you for your recent comment as it helps us to improve our Customer Service experience. In researching Priceline, they do not offer a 7-star option, only up to 5-star and there are no hotels in Columbia that fit that criteria. Most are between 2 and 3 stars; Country Inn & Suites is listed as a 2 ½ star hotel.
We are a100% smoke-free hotel and we will do a better job of keeping the front of the hotel clean. We will share your comments with Housekeeping so they can reevaluate their process of making sure guest rooms are clean. We just received brand new Precor Fitness Equipment that will allow our guests to work out the day’s stress with top-of-the-line equipment found in most gyms.
We hope that when you return to Columbia, you will give us another chance and take advantage of our new fitness equipment.
Portland, Maine
Reviewed May 15, 2013

The wi-fi did not work well at all in my room. The bed linens had either mites, fleas or some kind of irritation because I woke up with itches. The towels smelled like bleach but were not that clean. The room did not have enough plugs available for personal use--all the lamps were taking up resources. The pillows were too soft and not well supported.

When I was asked how my room was the following morning (after having complained the night before), I responded with the truth and described the above. The manager, a black female whose name eludes me now, said she would not do anything for me and told me I was already getting a discounted rate. When I told her that I would not have stayed at that hotel if someone had paid ME, she was adamantly denying on helping me out.

So, I had to resolve this issue by calling their corporate masters and explaining to them how the manager was unresponsive and had promised to call me when she never did. I ultimately got my refund, but I should not have had to go to such lengths. My goal was simply to get a decent night's rest!

• Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
Jim M, Director of Sales at Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Columbia, responded to this review, May 21, 2013
Dear Chris,

We thank you for choosing Country Inn & Suites Columbia SC and appreciate your feedback. We apologize that we failed you on this visit as we strive to exceed the expectations of our guests. Our Complimentary WiFi has a strong signal throughout the hotel and is regularly verified. Our Front Desk is always available to assist our Guest with their internet connection and we offer tech support 24 hours a day through the toll fee number listed in the room. Each Guest Room contains a large workspace with multiple electrical outlets for laptops, cell phones and IPads. In addition, there are electrical outlets on the base of each lamp to allow for greater flexibility on the locations of such devices.

We certainly take the cleanliness of our Guest Rooms with great pride and will share your comments with our Executive Housekeeper. Our Front Desk personnel are chosen because of their desire to be welcoming and attentive to the needs of all Guests. Please accept our apology in that you did not receive this experience; this is not the norm and we take seriously your comments and will look to improve our service at the Front Desk.

We hope that when your travels take you through Columbia, SC, you will give us another chance to prove ourselves to you.
Richmond, Virginia
Reviewed May 11, 2013

I selected the Country Inn & Suites because I read it had been renovated since my last stay there. Indeed it had been renovated but not for the better. The rooms were very dark and the lighting was not as bright as it was prior to the renovation. Also, the elevator was extremely dark, that lighting had also been changed and was not nearly as bright as in the past.

The wall colors were a beige and seemed dark and dirty. The doors and woodwork had been a dark green but now are a beige and seem darker than the dark green. Possibly it was the new light bulbs but if that is the case, they need to add several more lights to the room.

A nice flat screen television was in the room with a very clear picture.

The staff was very friendly and the breakfast was more than adequate including delicious fruit.

The beds were very hard and both my husband and myself had a backache each morning. The bathroom was nice with a large vanity and a large bathtub.

Room Tip: Rooms on the third floor are the quietest.