“Lazy, stupid manager; Woeful Wi-Fi; smells weird”

Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Columbia
Ranked #43 of 94 Hotels in Columbia
Portland, Maine
“Lazy, stupid manager; Woeful Wi-Fi; smells weird”
Reviewed May 15, 2013

The wi-fi did not work well at all in my room. The bed linens had either mites, fleas or some kind of irritation because I woke up with itches. The towels smelled like bleach but were not that clean. The room did not have enough plugs available for personal use--all the lamps were taking up resources. The pillows were too soft and not well supported.

When I was asked how my room was the following morning (after having complained the night before), I responded with the truth and described the above. The manager, a black female whose name eludes me now, said she would not do anything for me and told me I was already getting a discounted rate. When I told her that I would not have stayed at that hotel if someone had paid ME, she was adamantly denying on helping me out.

So, I had to resolve this issue by calling their corporate masters and explaining to them how the manager was unresponsive and had promised to call me when she never did. I ultimately got my refund, but I should not have had to go to such lengths. My goal was simply to get a decent night's rest!

• Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
Jim M, Director of Sales at Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Columbia, responded to this review, May 21, 2013
Dear Chris,

We thank you for choosing Country Inn & Suites Columbia SC and appreciate your feedback. We apologize that we failed you on this visit as we strive to exceed the expectations of our guests. Our Complimentary WiFi has a strong signal throughout the hotel and is regularly verified. Our Front Desk is always available to assist our Guest with their internet connection and we offer tech support 24 hours a day through the toll fee number listed in the room. Each Guest Room contains a large workspace with multiple electrical outlets for laptops, cell phones and IPads. In addition, there are electrical outlets on the base of each lamp to allow for greater flexibility on the locations of such devices.

We certainly take the cleanliness of our Guest Rooms with great pride and will share your comments with our Executive Housekeeper. Our Front Desk personnel are chosen because of their desire to be welcoming and attentive to the needs of all Guests. Please accept our apology in that you did not receive this experience; this is not the norm and we take seriously your comments and will look to improve our service at the Front Desk.

We hope that when your travels take you through Columbia, SC, you will give us another chance to prove ourselves to you.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (24)
Richmond, Virginia
Reviewed May 11, 2013

I selected the Country Inn & Suites because I read it had been renovated since my last stay there. Indeed it had been renovated but not for the better. The rooms were very dark and the lighting was not as bright as it was prior to the renovation. Also, the elevator was extremely dark, that lighting had also been changed and was not nearly as bright as in the past.

The wall colors were a beige and seemed dark and dirty. The doors and woodwork had been a dark green but now are a beige and seem darker than the dark green. Possibly it was the new light bulbs but if that is the case, they need to add several more lights to the room.

A nice flat screen television was in the room with a very clear picture.

The staff was very friendly and the breakfast was more than adequate including delicious fruit.

The beds were very hard and both my husband and myself had a backache each morning. The bathroom was nice with a large vanity and a large bathtub.

Room Tip: Rooms on the third floor are the quietest.
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed April 20, 2013

Entering the lobby in March and seeing the Christmas wreath still on the wall wasn't a good first impression. Using a coupon we got room 108 with 2 Queen beds for $64.95 plus taxes. The room needed a thorough vacuuming and there was a candy wrapper from a previous guest under the chair. Water temperature was hard to adjust but the small bath towels were soft and fluffy. Complimentary internet, a limited number of fresh baked cookies and 24 hour coffee was included. Breakfast was okay but the breakfast room itself was dirty and unattended. Overall the Country Inn & Suites was a bit dated but okay for the price, however, we wouldn't stay again.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Oxnard, California
Reviewed April 8, 2013

Stayed here in August 2012 while attending my little sisters Army bootcamp graduation at Fort Jackson. I found the staff friendly and the hotel clean, quiet and wonderful! We especially enjoyed the breakfast! For the price this was a great value for my family & I. I highly recommend this hotel.

• Stayed August 2012
1 Thank WondrWoman
Erie, Colorado
Reviewed April 7, 2013

One of the worst hotel experiences...ever. We booked the one bedroom suite at full occupancy. There was no bedding for the sofa bed. They were able to produce bedding and a couple extra pillows. The refrigerator was missing a leg so when you opened the door, the fridge tipped and everything spilled off the shelves.

Worst part was the horrible atmosphere and staff tolerance for noisy, rude, and disrespectful guests. Starting at 10 pm, Guests were allowed to shout down the hallways to each other waking anyone trying to get kids to sleep. The guests above us sounded like they were running a track meet and had loud music. We called the front desk and they at least turned down the music to the point that the bass was not rattling the pictures off the wall. A second call to the front desk requested that the music stop and the guests be asked to stop stomping, jumping, running, etc. across the floor. There seemed to be some relief until midnight.

At midnight, the track meet started up again with shouting and loud voices. Another call to the front desk did nothing. I went to the second floor, at the top of the stairs, directly above the front desk, and I could hear the loud party coming from the room myself. There were also three young men partying in the breakfast room that could be heard down the hallway. At least they closed the door when I went to the front desk to complain. At this point, I requested a solution. The front desk girl (polite and seemingly trying to help) told me she has called them three times and they won't listen to her. I then suggested that she consider the police as they were clearly violating their rules and being disruptive to other guests.

The first time the police responded got some results. Several people left and it seemed to quiet down. Then, at 1:30 am, the track meet and voices started up again. Door constantly opening and slamming. I again went to the front desk demanding action. Another guest was also expressing concern. This was when the police were called the second time. The police finally responded and handled it at 2:15 am.

I understand that the unruly guests were primarily responsible for this situation. But the hotel's miserable response is their own fault. It is a fairly simple solution. If you are violating the hotel's rules and disrupting other guest, you have revoked your privileges to stay. No questions asked. No refund. Leave the property. That is what should have been done. Instead, we got no sleep because the hotel chose to cater to these disrespectful guests rather than those who were truly their customer.

We were given a full refund but that does not make the hotel's response to this situation acceptable.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank ErieFamily
Carlson Hotels C, Online Customer Support at Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Columbia, responded to this review, April 15, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to reach out to us. We understand how important a quiet environment is and apologize that the situation was not handled properly. Your feedback helps us prevent situations such as this in the future. We hope you will give us another chance if you are in the area again.
Bedford, Virginia
Reviewed March 24, 2013

This hotel was clean and had a good breakfast. I would stay there again. We did not have any problems while we were there. I would recommend this hotel to others that want to stay in the area. The room and hotel in general were clean and maintained.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank cokeman72000
Kentucky
Reviewed March 14, 2013 via mobile

We stayed here for my nephew's graduation from basic training at Fort Jackson. The location was very convenient to the base. Lots of restaurants close and Walmart too. The indoor pool was great for the kids to play in. With that being said, the rooms were just ok. They could use new carpet and the bathtub looked a little dirty. The lobby has potential but could use some new furniture. The breakfast was ok but not great. Not bad but would probably pick another hotel.

• Stayed March 2013