“Sawing Logs...”

Mohnton
Reviewed October 22, 2012

1  Thank A La Quinta traveler
Reviewed October 22, 2012

Stayed from Oct 9th thru 12th for sons graduation from basic training. Very friendly staff. If you are traveling with pets its pet friendly. Location is a little sketcy. Has a gas station next to it, a little scary at night. Lighting is a little dem and would be better with a security guard at night. Room was clean and beds comfortable. The elevator could use a cleaning. Breakfast was good with hot waffles. Had a problem with shower curtain would suggest getting velcro and adding it to the wall and curtain so it would stay closed and water would not get all over floor. Dogs were well behaved on our end. Only heard 1 bark the entire time. Only big problem that i had was that we paid cash for room and got statement from back and they had charged our debit card. Trying to solve issue and will come back to post results of that. Very good restaurant nearby called Lizard Thicket it was very good food and great staff.

Reviewed October 18, 2012

I had very high hopes for this hotel and could really get over most of the issues we had except for the security issues of having a room that wouldn't lock and staff leaving key cards in our door during the day. Here are the experiences we had during our 6 days there.

Cons- Our room 232, would not lock in the mornings. We had to go tell staff every morning that the room was not locking and received an annoyed response every time and they did not go up immediately. We had 4 adults staying in our room and were only stocked with 3 sets of clean towels when they did come and clean. We were there for 6 nights so it would have been nice for them to just put the extra towel in there instead of us having to come down every morning when we needed to get ready to grab an extra as they were too busy to bring one to us. The sink faucet handle was not attached to the faucet so every time you would turn it on it would come off. We told the staff about this the night we checked in and every day we were there after. We left it on the side of the sink one morning thinking that would get someone to come fix it. It didn't. The next morning we left it in the sink since there is no way the cleaning staff could have cleaned with it there. When we got back that evening, the faucet handle was gone, cleaning supplies were in the bathroom, trashcans not emptied, and a room key was just sitting in the door for anyone who wanted to come into our room with our posessions free for the taking. They should have never had us in that room to begin with or atleast moved us once they new of the maintenance problem when it's obvious they had no intention of fixing it in a timely manner.

They did offer to have the night comped and had us moved to a different room, but like I said, they should never have had guests staying in a room that couldn't lock and with a broken faucet!

Pros- the weekday breakfast was a continental plus makeyourself waffles that everyone loves. I was impressed that even on the days we were getting down there with 15 minutes left that there were still some hard boiled eggs and pastries to eat. I enjoyed their coffee as well as my parents who are coffee snobs most of the time. They had an actual crib for my toddler to stay in. She's too big to sleep in the packnplays that most hotels provide so this was a very nice surprise. So glad to have a bed she could sleep in safely even though naps were scarce during the day with us being on vacation and out of the norm routine. The man on duty the night we checked in, Oct 6th, was extremely nice. Very warm welcome even at close to midnight!

Room Tip: Don't get room 232!
1  Thank Margaret G
Reviewed October 14, 2012

We stayed for our son's graduation from Fort Jackson on Oct. 10-11. The bed was nice and comfortable. The room was not very clean and the bathroom smelled like a sewer. The carpet was dirty, as well as the couch. Also, there was a dead frog on the cord of our lamp in the bedrooom. The food was horrible for breakfast and there was no fresh fruit.

2  Thank hannah b
Reviewed October 14, 2012

I arrived on 10/9/12 for my son's graduation from BCT at Ft. Jackson. When I checked in, it was a rushed and very in personal. I was made to just feel like a reservation, and not a person. After I checked in, and went to my room, I heard a dog barking down the hall. It sounded to be a rather large dog. I thought, oh great! I hope this dog doesn't bark at night. I couldn't tell if the carpet had been vacuumed or not. After settling in for the night, I heard it again and then it was followed by another dog bark, of what sounded like a smaller dog. To be fair, I did not hear the dogs again that night. The next day after I returned from family day at Ft. Jackson, I had to go to the front desk and ask for shampoo and soap, as whoever cleaned the room did not supply new ones. The coffee had not been replaced either, but there was still one pack left, so I didn't say anything. The breakfast was ok. I did like having warm waffles to make instead of just the cold cereal, yogurt and toast. They could have used larger cups for the coffee, instead of jsut the standard small styrofoam cups. I checked out on 10/11/12. Since their Wifi wasn't very good, I could not retrieve my reservations on my smart phone. I went to the lobby to use their computer, and it wouldn't connect either. I would have to do all of this at the airport. I returned my rental car to find out when they were checking it in that I had acquired 2 rather large scratches while parked in La Quinta's parking lot. Oh great! Now I would probably held financially responsible for those. The scratches had not been there when I parked the car the previous night, as I had prepacked much of the car. I will be waiting to see what the rental company is going to do about it. As a woman travelling by herself, and a poorly lit parking lot, I did not feel too safe in the lot. So I shouldn't be surprise about the car damage. Overall, I would not stay there or recommend staying there. There are many other choices in the Columbia area. I was very disappointed.

Room Tip: Don't stay there
2  Thank Jacey24
Reviewed September 30, 2012

While during our stay here I had a problem with the brakes on my van, being from out of town I had no idea where to go. The front desk staff was so very helpfull with helping me find a place to get them fixed with suggestions of places that they themselves use. Oh and as for the hotel I still haven't had as good of a nights sleep as I did while there. their beds are so comfortable. Friends of ours stayed somewhere else in town just to save $5 a night and had nothing good to say about their hotel. She should have listened to me.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled with family