“Probably last time there”

Hampton Inn Columbia - Downtown Historic District
Ranked #4 of 94 Hotels in Columbia
GreenLeadersBronze level
Georgia
“Probably last time there”
Reviewed May 28, 2013

This is the third time we have stayed at this hotel and most likely, we won't return. The first time was good, the second time I had some concerns and after the last stay, we will seek elsewhere. I see that after being open for about 10 years, they have decided to start charging for parking. This was one of the reasons we stayed here instead of the nearby Hilton as it offset the costs as this hotel is expensive for a Hampton Inn. I am sure it is because of the location, which is fine if you want or need to stay in the area. Since we were traveling on motorcycles, we asked it they might give us a break on parking, since we were only taking up one spot. We were told there was no way to do that, which I know better being a Diamond member and a FDC can do just about anything with the final bill. That's OK though, as that is their rules and never hurts to ask as other hotels have given us a break on parking.

Our room was decent as before, however they need to pay a little more attention to details like mold in the shower under the shelf & the dust bunnies in the exhaust fan, just to point out a couple of things. The coffee filter basket still had some leftover gunk in it, however we always wash this out before we use it. I am sure they are always pushing to get all the rooms cleaned as it seems to stay full on the weekends.

The hotel can be very noisy on the weekends, depending on what is going on. It's located near several big churches and very popular place for a wedding guests to stay. While they do not host weddings or receptions at the hotel, apparently the party continues on in the foyer & hallways once everyone returns and in this past weekend, until 2:30AM. I seem to recall it was that way last time and thought it might have been a uncommon happening, however I seen where they were welcoming eight weddings on the sign in the lobby. Also, if you prefer a quieter room, don't get one that face Gervais street as you will hear the road noise all night long. I believe the odd number rooms face the road and even number rooms overlook the parking lot & are quieter.

When we checked out & left, the FDC should have said something about needing a card to exit the parking lot. Pulling up to the exit does not seem to open the gate (or the weight of two large motorcycles is not enough), and the sign says to use your key card or ticket to exit. Well, we turned in the key cards when we left so they can be used again. If this is correct, then you need to keep your key card to exit the last time, then what do you do with the card, toss it in the trash? Not very environmentally friendly if this is happening many times day. I did see several key cards tossed on the ground at the exit, so assume some people are just using them to exit & throw them on the ground. Made the area look trashy with those & paper tickets laying around.

So all in all, it's a popular place for the wedding crowd & maybe the party crowd with the three bars next door, it's just not some where we plan on going back too and if we do, will most likely try the Hilton a few blocks over.

Room Tip: If you use self check in, odd rooms have more noise as face Gervais street. Even number rooms overlo...
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends
7 Thank CaribbeanSoul
Ben B, General Manager at Hampton Inn Columbia - Downtown Historic District, responded to this review, June 12, 2013
Dear CaribbeanSoul,

First and foremost I want to thank you for your most recent stay with us. Secondly, I would like to apologize for any inconvenience that you experienced during your stay. We take pride in ensuring that each and everyone of our guests leave here 100% satisfied. It is not just the Hampton Inn motto but one we take to heart as a property. I would love an opportunity to speak with you personally about your stay and experience. We understand that while we do cater do many different guests that your experience should not be hindered and want to do what we can to satisfy you. I look forward to speaking with you and addressing any and all concerns.

822 Gervais Street
Columbia, SC 29201

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (96)
Warrensburg, MO, United States
Reviewed May 20, 2013

I have never been disappointed by a Hampton Inn and this one fell in line with previous experiences at this hotel chain. What I like most about this stay was the location. The historic district of Columbia, SC, is very cool and the options for places to eat and drink within walking distance of the hotel are fantastic.

Dear Kathy H,

Thank you for your most recent review! We love to hear from our guests and their experiences not only in our hotel but about their experiences in the historic Vista area. We take pride in not only our hotel but the Vista as well and all that it has to offer to our guests. I hope that in the future, that we will be your hotel of choice and should you need any assistance now or in the future, please do not hesitate to contact my staff or me.

Safe travels,

822 Gervais Street
Columbia, SC 29201
Oslo, Norway
Reviewed May 13, 2013

This Hampton Inn is absolutely amazing. Fast, friendly and personal service, clarge and clean room and a wonderful breakfast included. Located nicely in the historic center of Columbia with lots of nice restaurants in the near vicinity. Could not ask for more!

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Ben B, General Manager at Hampton Inn Columbia - Downtown Historic District, responded to this review, May 17, 2013
Dear henris0n,

Thank you for your most recent review concerning your most recent stay at our hotel. Through our guests feedback is the best way for us to know how we are doing. Here at the Hampton Inn Columbia Downtown Historic District we take pride in ensuring that each and every guests stay here exceeds their expectations and they leave here 100% satisfied. We are glad you enjoyed your stay and I will be sure to pass on your review to our staff! I hope that the next time you find yourself in the city, that we will be your hotel of choice. If my staff or I can be of any assistance in the future, please do not hesitate to contact us.

Green Bay, WI, United States
Reviewed May 13, 2013

Excellent staff and hotel right in the heart of the fun district in Columbia. Room would have been a little pricey for a Hampton ($200) but I got a discount rate due to a local business connection which made it a good value. They also mentioned a graduation going on that weekend which probably jacked up the price. The pool is outdoors and pretty small but I didnt have a need to use it. Fitness center was better than average with nice equipment. Great rooms and comfy, clan beds.

Dear Peter K,

I just wanted to first and foremost thank you for choosing us for your recent stay as well as for you most recent review. We take pride in hearing from our guests and love to hear back from them. The Vista area is a very unique area and we were glad to hear that you were able to get out and enjoy it. We hope that you have the opportunity to come back and explore the area some more and enjoy some more of our fine city. I hope that the next time you find yourself in the Columbia area, that we are able to accommodate you again! If my staff or I can be of any assistance in the future, please do not hesitate to contact us.

Columbia, South Carolina
Reviewed May 7, 2013

Located right in the middle of the Vista. Chose hotel for its location. It is walking distance to many different good restaurants. The service was great. The rooms were clean and comfortable. Decent breakfast on site.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear 13LoveTravel,

I just wanted to thank you for your most recent review of our hotel. I was glad to hear that you enjoyed your stay as we strive to ensure that each and everyone of our guests leave here 100% satisfied. We love to offer little extras to all of our guests to make their stay with us unique and were glad to hear that you enjoyed them. We do hope that the next time you find yourself in the Columbia area, that we are able to serve you again! If my staff or I can be of any further assistance, please do not hesitate to let us know.

San Pablo Del Lago, Ecuador
Reviewed May 7, 2013

I have stayed here twice now and cannot give it an excellent rating due to the fact that on the first visit the girl at the front desk forgot to order me a taxi causing me to be late to a meeting, and on both visits the wireless internet is terrible. it ranges in speed from dial up to just acceptable then keeps cutting out completely. If you are staying on business, bring your own method of connection. plus they have no feather pillows, its like sleeping on blocks of rubber.

Dear shmelvin,

First and foremost I just want to thank you for staying with us and secondly I just wanted to thank you for your review. I also wanted to apologize for any and all issues that you experienced during your stay, as well as to let you know that we take pride in ensuring that each and every one of our guests leave here 100% satisfied. I have taken your review and reported it to all of my staff to ensure that they are corrected. I would love an opportunity to speak with you personally about your stay and to see what I can do for you. I hope to hear from you and wish you safe travels.

Orangeburg, United States
Reviewed May 6, 2013

I always choose to stay at the Hampton in the Vista becasue it is in a prime location and the serivice and presentation of the establishment. Starting from the parking lt to the room everthing is very organizied and done with professionalism and good taste which is noticable the moment you pull your parking pass at the gate. This very refreshing to see and gives me a strong piece of mind.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled solo

Dear Willie S,

I just wanted to take a brief moment to thank you for your most recent review. All of us here at the Hampton Inn Historic District, take great pride in our southern hospitality and unique charm of our hotel and especially ensuring that all of our guests leave here 100% satisfied each and every time. We hope that the next time you find yourself in Columbia that we can be your hotel of choice. If we can be of any assistance in the future, please do not hesitate to contact us. We wish you safe travels.