“Not perfect, but close”

Hampton Inn Columbia - Downtown Historic District
Ranked #4 of 93 Hotels in Columbia
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed March 24, 2013

Good, clean location with a nice staff where you can walk to almost anything but it is NOISY!! During "normal sleeping hours" you can hear the cars outside (even on a higher floor). The room air/heat was a constant racket (and did not keep it very cold even on the highest settings) along with the slamming of room doors, especially in the morning. We originally thought it a nice security feature that you had to have your room key to get in the hotel from the main street entrance but we found that people would let you in and no one from staff was paying any attention to either entrance so it made us wonder how safe it really was?!?!? Breakfast is included, waffles, eggs, meat, fruit, etc. which was good. They recommended a cab service, Capital City Cab, which we used to go anywhere not within walking distance. We would recommend them as well. The TV's are old and have few channels with a good picture.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Sharie R
Ben B, General Manager at Hampton Inn Columbia - Downtown Historic District, responded to this reviewResponded March 27, 2013

Dear Sharie R,

Thank you for your most recent review concerning your most recent stay at our hotel. Through our guests feedback is the best way for us to know how we are doing. Here at the Hampton Inn Columbia Downtown Historic District we take pride in ensuring that each and every guests stay here exceeds their expectations and they leave here 100% satisfied. I will be sure to pass on your review to our staff and hope that the next time you find yourself in the city, that we will be your hotel of choice. If my staff or I can be of any assistance in the future, please do not hesitate to contact us.

Wishing you safe travels,

Reviewed March 23, 2013

I stayed here for three nights while in town for the Columbia marathon. The location, two blocks from the state house, made it convenient and easy to get around and I could leave the car in the parking lot. They have added a keyed, gated access to the parking lot because apparently they've had problems with non-guests using the lot. Unfortunately this means that there is a daily parking charge which I was not aware of.

Plenty of things to do within walking distance, including restaurants, sub shops, cafes, and a Publix grocery store and CVS.

The room was very comfortable and quiet and the staff were exemplary. Very nice breakfast set-up each morning, as well. I was very pleased with my stay at this hotel and would definitely stay there again if I'm ever back in downtown Columbia.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled solo

Dear agmom98,

I just wanted to say thank you for your most recent review of our hotel and city. We love hearing from our guests and their experiences in not only our hotel but our city as well. Here at the Hampton Inn Columbia Downtown Historic District take pride in ensuring that each and everyone of our guests leave here 100% Satisfied.We hope that you enjoyed the marathon and hope that you will visit us again next year. If my staff or I can be of any assistance in the future, please do not hesitate to contact us and we hope that we can serve you on your next visit!

Reviewed March 20, 2013 via mobile

I have been a diamond on Hilton honors for a few years now, and I don't really have much to say about Hampton Inns, but this is definitely one of the nicest. Not only is it at a great location it also has a great staff. They are very welcoming and accommodating. It is one of the few Hampton inns with a managers cocktail (beer and wine) hour with light food which is the norm at Embassy Suites. The breakfast is also an upgrade from the standard Hampton inn as well as the fitness center. This is not the ritz, but a top of the line Hampton.

• Stayed: March 2013

Dear Pvb4me,

I just wanted to first and foremost thank you for choosing us for your recent stay as well as for you most recent review. We take pride in hearing from our guests and love to hear back from them. The Vista area is a very unique area and we were glad to hear that you were able to get out and enjoy it. We hope that you have the opportunity to come back and explore the area some more and enjoy some more of our fine city. I hope that the next time you find yourself in the Columbia area, that we are able to accommodate you again! If my staff or I can be of any assistance in the future, please do not hesitate to contact us.

Best regards,

Reviewed March 17, 2013

The hotel has an excellent location and the facilities were great. The room was clean and suited my wife and I for our stay. We found the heavy bed linens uncomforatable, the breakfast was good with lots of offerings which changed each day. The manager's reception ran out of food in the first 30 minutes so that when we got there we had one wine to choose from and four beers. I had a plastic cup of white wine and left. Parking can be a problem if the hotel is full.

Room Tip: Ask for a room that does not front the street.
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled on business
Ben B, General Manager at Hampton Inn Columbia - Downtown Historic District, responded to this reviewResponded March 20, 2013

Dear Steven R,

I just wanted to first and foremost thank you for choosing us for your recent stay as well as for you most recent review. We take pride in hearing from our guests and love to hear back from them. The Vista area is a very unique area and we were glad to hear that you were able to get out and enjoy it. We hope that you have the oppertunity to come back and explore the area some more and enjoy some more of our fine city. I hope that the next time you find yourself in the Columbia area, that we are able to accomodate you again! If my staff or I can be of any assistance in the future, please do not hesitate to contact us.

Best regards,

Reviewed March 2, 2013

Great location and excellent service. Rooms are fresh and well maintained. Breakfast was acceptable. Health club was well equipped. Look out for the access road off the main road. There are potholes big enough to swallow a Mini!!!

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank Martin S

Dear Martin S,

Thank you for your most recent review concerning your most recent stay at our hotel. Through our guests feedback is the best way for us to know how we are doing. Here at the Hampton Inn Columbia Downtown Historic District we take pride in ensuring that each and every guests stay here exceeds thier expectations and they leave here 100% satisfied. I will be sure to pass on your review to our staff and hope that the next time you find yourself in the city, that we will be your hotel of choice. If my staff or I can be of any assistance in the future, please do not hesitate to contact us.

Wishing you safe travels in 2013,

803-744-3321 (Direct)

Reviewed March 2, 2013

I came down for a business trip and the accommodations were great. The room was clean and had plenty of outlets and workspace. The lobby is a great place to people watch and see what is happening on Gervais St in the heart of downtown. There is excellent food in and around the hotel and the front desk is eager to help you with a self-guided tour of the historical area or recommendations for places to eat. An overall pleasant experience.

Room Tip: You may want a room facing Gervais St if you want to see the action. The backside of the hotel has a...
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled on business

Dear gotein84,

I just wanted to take a moment to thank you for your most recent review of our hotel. We take pride in ensuring that each and every guest leaves 100% Satisfied each and every time. The Vista area in Columbia is a fun and unique place and is a great draw for our guests to enjoy. If my staff or I can be of any assistance in the future, please do not hesitate to contact us and we hope that the next time you find yourself in the Columbia area, that we could serve you as your hotel of choice.

Reviewed February 25, 2013

Liked the fact that the historic building was renovated and not replaced. Downtown parking for this hotel, and others, is at a premium so they have a gated parking lot for guest use. They charge for it but we negotiated our way out of the fee when we checked in. Speaking of checking in, the front desk was extremely helpful and seemed glad to see us. Our room was spotless and and the hotel is well maintained. Another great feature is that there is plenty of local nightlife literally across the street. Breakfast was typical fare but on the better side.

Room Tip: We had a 2nd floor room to the front and the street light was directly outside the window lighting t...
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled on business
Ben B, General Manager at Hampton Inn Columbia - Downtown Historic District, responded to this reviewResponded February 26, 2013

Dear REB-CO,