“GREAT hotel in a very cool location.”

Hampton Inn Columbia - Downtown Historic District
Ranked #4 of 94 Hotels in Columbia
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed January 30, 2013

I stayed here for two nights for a business trip and loved that it was across the street from Starbucks and within walking distance to a lot of cool restaurants. The staff was SUPER friendly and really went out of their way to make sure everyone was taken care of and happy. I definitely recommend this hotel and am excited to have a great place to stay when I'm back again later this year!

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank AZAshcraft
Ben B, General Manager at Hampton Inn Columbia - Downtown Historic District, responded to this reviewResponded January 31, 2013

Dear AZAshcraft,

Thank you for your most recent review concerning your most recent stay at our hotel. Through our guests feedback is the best way for us to know how we are doing. Here at the Hampton Inn Columbia Downtown Historic District we take pride in ensuring that each and every guests stay here exceeds thier expectations and they leave here 100% satisfied. I will be sure to pass on your review to our staff and hope that the next time you find yourself in the city, that we will be your hotel of choice. If my staff or I can be of any assistance in the future, please do not hesitate to contact us.

Wishing you safe travels in 2013,

There are newer reviews for Hampton Inn Columbia - Downtown Historic District

Reviewed January 23, 2013

Once again on our way to Florida we stopped at this hotel. We had stayed here 8 months earlier and liked the hotel a lot. This time we were traveling with our son and his family on our way to Disney World. Since it was the night before Thanksgiving, we had made reservations.once again we were very pleased with our choice. Check- in was a breeze and as a bonus, fresh baked cookies were still available. We two connecting rooms on the second floor - fine location. Quiet! The front desk was very helpful with direction for pizza for the kids. Grandma and Grandpa opted for a walk to stretch our legs and dinner at a closeby pup followed by a trip to Starbucks. Great early breakfast and another trip to Starbuks and we were on our way. Great location!

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank paweibel
Ben B, General Manager at Hampton Inn Columbia - Downtown Historic District, responded to this reviewResponded January 24, 2013

Dear paweibel,

FIrst and foremost, I would like to thank you for thinking of us again as you traveled to Florida. We love seeing familair faces! Secondly I would like to thank you for your most recent review of the hotel. We are glad that not only you but your family was able to join you in enjoying our Historic Vista area. We take pride in ensuring that each and every guest leaves here 100% satisfied! We hope to see you again this year and if my staff or I can be of any assistance in the future, please do not hesitate to contact us. We wish you safe travels in 2013!

Reviewed January 14, 2013

Staying here when in Columbia, SC is a good idea. You are within walking distance to many non-chain restaraunts. The fare is from sea food to steak or light pub food. You can find asain one block to the left and a Star Bucks just across the street. The Hotel is clean and very quiet. Just what the road warrior needs after being on the road.

Room Tip: Try the Liberty Tap Room right next door. I had the filet Mignon and it was excellent!
  • Stayed: January 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank dandapatioman

Dear dandapatioman,

I just wanted to take a moment to thank you for your recent review of our hotel. We take pride in hearing from each and everyone of our guests. Here at the Hampton Inn Columbia Downtown Historic District, we love to ensure that each and every guest that stays with us is 100% satisfied with thier stay. We were also glad to hear that you were able to get out and enjoy some of the Historic Vista area, ecspecially some of the unique restaurants surrounding the hotel and hope that the next time you are in the area that you are able to stay with us again and more of the area. Our front desk is very knowledgeable of the area and have some great recommendations for dining in the area! If my staff or I can be of any assistance in the future, please do not hesitate to contact us. We wish you safe travels in 2013!

Reviewed December 12, 2012

Reserved a block of room for out of town guests attending a professional development course at our organization on Main Street. Rates were grate, staff extremely easy to work with. Every guest booked with them and gave great hotel reviews all three days of the course. Located in the Vista district with easy access and short walk to great local stores and restaurants.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled on business
Ben B, General Manager at Hampton Inn Columbia - Downtown Historic District, responded to this reviewResponded December 13, 2012

Dear TomKaten,

I just wanted to take a moment to thank you for your most recent review. I also want to thank you for choosing to stay with us during your most recent stay. We want to ensure that each and everyone of our guests are 100% satisfied during their stay and afterwards! I am glad to hear that you enjoyed our hotel and the Vista area as well as everyone in your block! We hope that the next time you find yourself in Columbia that we would be your hotel of choice. If my staff or I can be of any assistance to you now or in the future, please do not hesitate to contact us! Thank you again and we wish you and you're a very happy holiday season.

Reviewed December 2, 2012

We stayed two nights the weekend of Dec. 1, 2012. Hotel is very nice, located downtown convenient to many attractions. Hotel fronts Gervais Street but entrance is off an adjoining road, Lincoln, making our first entry a tad bit confusing. Parking lot is gated with a daily charge of $12. Numerous restaurants/bars are within walking distance, crowds on weekend nights tend to be younger as the University of South Carolina is closeby. Our room was a king, first floor on Gervais side which I thought was going to be a problem with vehicle noise. Sleeping with the AC fan on high, we seldom heard any street noise. The blinds and shades made the room incredibly dark for late morning sleeping. The free breakfast was ample, waffles, sausage, fruit, plenty to choose from. Juices were watery but coffee good. Hotel staff was very friendly and helpful. We'd strongly recommend this hotel.

Room Tip: Rooms not facing Gervais may be quietest.
  • Stayed: December 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank BK13906

Dear BK13906,

I just wanted to take a moment to thank you for your most recent review. I also want to thank you for choosing to stay with us during your most recent stay. We want to ensure that each and everyone of our guests are 100% satisfied during their stay and afterwards! I am glad to hear that you enjoyed our hotel and the Vista area. Our Hampton breakfast is ever exanding as we try to meet the demands of today's traveler. We hope that the next time you find yourself in Columbia that we would be your hotel of choice. If my staff or I can be of any assistance to you now or in the future, please do not hesitate to contact us! Thank you again and we wish you and you're a very happy holiday season.

Reviewed November 12, 2012

This hotel is conveniently located downtown, with options for restaurants, bars, coffee shops, and salons with one block. Clean hotel, lots of choices for breakfast, coffee anytime of day in the lobby, and cookies!. Staff was helpful, friendly, polite. Second stay was just as nice as the first (one year ago). Will return again.

Room Tip: I was in a room on the main street side of building on the second floor. It was a little noisy, but...
1  Thank dmoyer
Ben B, General Manager at Hampton Inn Columbia - Downtown Historic District, responded to this reviewResponded November 13, 2012

Dear dmoyer,

I just wanted to first and foremost thank you for choosing us for your recent stay as well as for you most recent review. We take pride in hearing from our guests and love to hear back from them. The Vista area is a very unique area and we were glad to hear that you were able to get out and enjoy it. We hope that you have the oppertunity to come back and explore the area some more and enjoy some more of our fine city. I hope that the next time you find yourself in the Columbia area, that we are able to accomodate you again! If my staff or I can be of any assistance in the future, please do not hesitate to contact us.

Reviewed November 9, 2012

Stayed here for a nearby conference. Short walk to convention center with no crossing of traffic. However, try to arrive before dark. Is a bit challenging to find the entrance and parking during peak evening hours. NIce looking building inside and out. Clean with helpful staff. Food for breakfast was great, changing a little each day. Managers reception fine except double check the times. Found 2 different times posted. My TV kept losing signal which was frustrating. The nice desk guy came quickly to reset it but on third ocassion I was trying to get ready and didn't call him. Also, I found that although all 3 exercise machines in fitness center have individual TV screens, only one has a jack for the headphones. The volume didn't work so I had to just watch the news and try to figure out what was going on. Wish they had room for another treadmill. A marathoner beat me to it the second day and I was stuck with the stationary bike. Lots of great restaurants in walking distance is one of the great things about this location. It was pricey but typical for hotels this close to major venues.

Dear shorttrips60,

First and foremost I just want to thank you for staying with us and secondly I just wanted to thank you for your review. I also wanted to aplogize for the technical issues that you experienced during your stay, as well as to let you know that we take pride in ensuring that each and every one of our guests leave here 100% satisfied. I have taken your review and reported it to all of my staff to ensure that in the future, the TV issues are corrected. I was glad to hear that you did enjoy your stay and the Vista area. We do hope that the next time you find yourself in the Columbia area, that you will choose us as your hotel of choice. If my staff or I can be of any assistance now or in the future, please do not heistate to contact me.