“Tech issues but lots of other things done right.”

Hampton Inn Columbia - Downtown Historic District
Ranked #4 of 94 Hotels in Columbia
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed November 9, 2012

Stayed here for a nearby conference. Short walk to convention center with no crossing of traffic. However, try to arrive before dark. Is a bit challenging to find the entrance and parking during peak evening hours. NIce looking building inside and out. Clean with helpful staff. Food for breakfast was great, changing a little each day. Managers reception fine except double check the times. Found 2 different times posted. My TV kept losing signal which was frustrating. The nice desk guy came quickly to reset it but on third ocassion I was trying to get ready and didn't call him. Also, I found that although all 3 exercise machines in fitness center have individual TV screens, only one has a jack for the headphones. The volume didn't work so I had to just watch the news and try to figure out what was going on. Wish they had room for another treadmill. A marathoner beat me to it the second day and I was stuck with the stationary bike. Lots of great restaurants in walking distance is one of the great things about this location. It was pricey but typical for hotels this close to major venues.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled on business
Ben B, General Manager at Hampton Inn Columbia - Downtown Historic District, responded to this reviewResponded November 13, 2012

Dear shorttrips60,

First and foremost I just want to thank you for staying with us and secondly I just wanted to thank you for your review. I also wanted to aplogize for the technical issues that you experienced during your stay, as well as to let you know that we take pride in ensuring that each and every one of our guests leave here 100% satisfied. I have taken your review and reported it to all of my staff to ensure that in the future, the TV issues are corrected. I was glad to hear that you did enjoy your stay and the Vista area. We do hope that the next time you find yourself in the Columbia area, that you will choose us as your hotel of choice. If my staff or I can be of any assistance now or in the future, please do not heistate to contact me.

There are newer reviews for Hampton Inn Columbia - Downtown Historic District

Reviewed November 5, 2012

We stayed at the downtown Hampton this weekend. Were there for a wedding. From check in to check out all was great. The staff was great, room was fine. Nice sheets and pillows. Handy parking lot in rear of building. Walking distance to the rehearsal dinner as well as a number of
dining places. My husband ate lunch across the street at the Blue Marlin and raved about it.
We met up with other wedding/Hampton guests for breakfast at Hampton and all remarked that the breakfast was as good as it could be. Omelet one morning, bagels, fruit, cereal, warm cooked oatmeal and of course the fresh bake cookies were always available in the aternoon
Front desk staff could not have been nicer . We would definitely stay here again and recommend to anyone heading that way

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled with friends
1  Thank blsgeorgia

Dear blsgeorgia,

I just wanted to first and foremost thank you for choosing us for your recent stay as well as for you most recent review. We take pride in hearing from our guests and love to hear back from them. The Vista area is a very unique area and we were glad to hear that you were able to get out and enjoy it. We hope that you have the oppertunity to come back and explore the area somue more and enjoy some more of our find city. I hope that the next time you find yourself in the Columbia area, that we are able to accomodate you again! If my staff or I can be of any assistance in the future, please do not hesitate to contact us.

Reviewed October 31, 2012

Good reliable Hampton Inn. Very convenient downtown walk to restaurantss, bars, short drive to University but could walk. Complimentary happy hour was added treat. Staff was attentive and offered good advice for local restaurants etc. Why stay at a higher priced location when this was has what is needed. Only request would be that some Hamptons have queen beds while this had doubles.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled with family

Dear Gary W,

I just wanted to thank you for your most recent review of our hotel. I was glad to hear that you enjoyed your stay as we strive to ensure that each and everyone of our guests leave here 100% satisfed. We love to offer little extras to all of our guests to make thier stay with us unique and were glad to hear that you enjoyed them. We do hope that the next time you find yourself in the Columbia area, that we are able to serve you again! If my staff or I can be of any further assistance, please do not hesitate to let us know.

Reviewed October 22, 2012

This hotel goes the extra mile and has things that many Hampton's do not. The beer/wine/app hour was a nice touch and the M&M's were my favorite. The rooms were spacious and clean...I appreciated my upgrade. This hotel is in a fabulous location with many restaurants within walking distance. I had no problems with the parking and appreciated the reserved spots for the Diamond Members. Thanks for a nice stay.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled on business
2  Thank jayhawks91
Ben B, General Manager at Hampton Inn Columbia - Downtown Historic District, responded to this reviewResponded October 23, 2012

Dear Jayhawks91,

First and foremost I just wanted to thank you for your recent review. We were glad to hear that you enjoyed your stay and love to hear back from our guests when they do! We strive to provide the best service and cleanliness and to ensure that our guests leave here 100% satisfied. We understand about the little touches to make our guests stay just that little bit better and were glad to hear that you enjoyed them. We do hope that the next time you find yourself in Columbia that we can be your hotel of choice and if we can do anything to assist you, please do not hesitate to contact my staff or I. We wish you safe travels in your future and hope to see you again soon.

Reviewed October 3, 2012 via mobile

Considering the price they charge two things have to improve:
- Cleanliness: the bathrooms should NOT be mouldy!!!
- Friendliness: the personell should treat the guests as guests and NOT as nuisance.
- If the hotel wants to offer free beer and pizza until 19:00 then somebody should refill both at 18:45!

• Stayed: October 2012
Ben B, General Manager at Hampton Inn Columbia - Downtown Historic District, responded to this reviewResponded October 8, 2012

Dear Jacky94,

I just wanted to take a moment to one thank you for your recent stay with us as well as to thank you for taking the time to let us know about your stay. We take great pride in ensuring that each and every guest leave here 100% satisfed and I was very unhappy to learn from your comments that you were not. I would love an opportunity to speak with you directly to discuss your stay in more detail. If I can be of any further assistance or if you need anything further, please do not hesitate to let us know. Please look for a call from me very shortly and I do look forward to speaking with you.

Reviewed September 16, 2012

Hubby and I stayed at the Hampton Inn Downtown for my birthday, and we were very happy there. The hotel was as clean as a hotel can be, the check-in staff were very friendly, everything was working - and we enjoyed having the "comforts of home" such as a microwave and mini-fridge. The parking situation didn't bother us, as we are from Atlanta and always ask about parking "off the bat," when we are going to be downtown in a big city; parking is always going to be scarce and we understand and appreciate the hotel being protective of the spaces! In fact, we were just thankful to have such a spacious parking lot available, and not have to fight for a space in the street! We intend to stay here again in the future, and we'd highly recommend the hotel.

Room Tip: The King Studies are great, including the afore-mentioned fridge and microwave.
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple

Dear PierresFamily,

I just wanted to take a brief moment to thank you for your most recent review. All of us here at the Hampton Inn Historic District, take great pride in our southern hospitality and unique charm of our hotel and ecspecially ensuring that all of our guests leave here 100% satisfied each and everytime. We look forward to your next trip to Columbia and if we can be of any assistance in the future, please do not hesitate to contact us.

Reviewed August 28, 2012

The Hampton Inn offered great rooms with beds perfect for sleeping! The in-room amenities were what a good motel should offer. The room was pleasant to look at as well as being clean and comfortable. The included breakfast offered just about anything one would want at that time of day. The staff was friendly and helpful.

Room Tip: Since the elevator was so quiet, even a room nearby would not be disturbed.
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled with friends
Ben B, General Manager at Hampton Inn Columbia - Downtown Historic District, responded to this reviewResponded August 30, 2012

Dear Nancy D,

Thank you for your most recent review! We take pride in ensuring that our guests enjoy a clean and comfortable stay! We love hearing feedback from our guests and appreciate it very much. Hampton has been the pioneer in the upgraded complimentary breakfast and continues to be an innovator in new and expanded choices. We are glad that you enjoyed your stay and hope that the next time you find yourself in Columbia that we will be able to serve you again. If my staff or I can be of any assistance in the future, please do not hesitate to contact us.