“Locals enjoy”

Oyster Bar Columbia
Ranked #45 of 1,026 Restaurants in Columbia
Cuisines: Seafood
Reviewed March 12, 2014 via mobile

I was wandering down Gervais st and saw this place on side street. It was quiet with back dining room and bar in front. The dining area was pretty full even though it was 8:30 on Tuesday night. I sat at bar. They only have bottle beer. I wasn't hungry but looked at menu. Good selection if seafood moderately priced.
The bar had several patrons, all locals and friendly. They went out of their way to be friendly to me a lone visitors.

Reviewed February 4, 2014

Old school shuckin' and serving - guys are great, and homemade sauce and oysters are excellent. Will go back. I got a half peck steamed for $13.50

This is nothing fancy - don't wear your dress up clothes. Go next door if you want the food choices and atmosphere. :o)

Reviewed December 29, 2013

Ok, so this is a rating on the raw oysters at the Oyster Bar. To tell you the truth I've never eaten anything else there. My husband and I consider ourselves oyster fans. We even had oysters instead of wedding cake at our wedding. And... in our humble opinion, these are the oysters we rate all other oysters against when we travel. They are the best! We always come back here for oysters! I love the sauce and they heat if for you. There's not a great view, or romantic setting but the oysters make up for it! If you know of a better place than this to eat raw oysters, do tell!

Reviewed December 12, 2013

My wife and I eat here when we get a craving for oysters. It is not fancy, but it is good. I personally like sitting at a bar, and I enjoy that the shuckers ask you how you would like your oysters. If you like shellfish, you can't go wrong here. The Mother Shuckers Sauce is well worth trying and you can buy it to take it home, as well. My only complaint is that sometimes it can take a long time to get a shucker's attention to get you your first drink and menu. Once you have their attention, however, they shuck all your oysters and chat with you. Very nice, and the oysters are fresh.

Reviewed October 7, 2013

We were looking for some delicious oysters and we found them at Oyster Bar Columbia. What we didn't like was the presentation and service. You are directed to the back of the restaurant where you sit around a U-shaped bar with the "shuckers" in the middle. There is nothing fancy about it, it is old school! The guys were not very friendly and service was lacking. Our server finally made his way over with the oysters and proceeded to shuck them into 2 little plastic bowls for us to eat from. Never seen it done that way and didn't like it! You have to ask for everything, except the house-made hot sauce, which they have everywhere because they are trying to sell it. They know how to steam them and shuck them but I don't like how they serve them!