“nice walk”

Harbison State Forest
Ranked #18 of 109 things to do in Columbia
More attraction details
Owner description: Over 20 miles of mountain biking and hiking trails from beginners to expert. Trails are very well maintained.
New York City, New York
8 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 18 helpful votes
“nice walk”
Reviewed February 22, 2012

very nice walk, must go with partner, friend ....i have heard people missing their ways......lovely long walks for any season......you may bring you bicycle.......or have a picnic....

Visited February 2012
1 Thank neostigmine

Irmo, South Carolina
25 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 13 helpful votes
“Bike ride”
Reviewed January 29, 2012

It is a great place to go bike riding. Lots of forrest trails that are easy to navagate, just a fun day there.

1 Thank Lydia W
Queens, New York
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 4 helpful votes
“Brief visit, very beautiful!”
Reviewed January 2, 2012

We took one of the walking trails to the river. There were also cyclists in the area, and if you have your own canoe there are areas where you can paddle out on the river.

Visited December 2011
1 Thank inquisitivity
lexington, SC
10 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 16 helpful votes
“Great Trails!”
Reviewed January 1, 2012

What I like about this park is the focus on trails. This park has miles and miles of trails just for Mountain Biking!! The trails are of all skill levels as well. The are also trails for Horse Back riding as well. There are shelters for parties and such, but the trails are why people go here. There was an outbreak of Pine Beetle a few years back and a good portion of the forest had to be logged. Very sad, but they were able to keep a lot of it there.

Simpsonville, South Carolina
9 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 40 helpful votes
“Great place to get some excercise in the busy suburban area of Columbia.”
Reviewed November 18, 2011

I am trying to become a more avid hiker, so when I got stuck in Columbia for two weeks for work and only a block or so away from Harbison State Forest, I decided to make a quick hike.

I parked in lot 1 and headed out on the Firebreak Trail. After about a mile, I turned left, crossed Lost Creek Road and hit the Lost Creek Trail (loop). These trails seem more geared for the mountain bike enthusiast, and only contain about 300-400 feet of elevation change. I was expecting this, though, as I'm from the Upstate, where it's not unusual to find 2000-3000 feet of elevation change in a hike. Anyway, the trail was pretty well manicured, but not very well blazed. Again, I'm used to the trails up in areas like the Mountain Bridge Wilderness area, and feel more confident during a hike when I can count on finding a color blaze every few hundred feet ... or even less when I'm in a switchback area. Again, the trail is generally manicured well enough to make it easy to follow, and any intersecting forest roads contain marks to let you know where the trail is ... still, I got lost twice when a switchback was not very obvious. Of course, I never really felt "lost" ... keep reading.

My only other real "downside" to this experience is something that the forest service cannot control. It just took me a long time to find that "outdoors and in nature" feeling. Most of the lengths of the Firebreak Trail (the portion I took) and the Lost Creek Trail are running in close proximity to two major roadways and two subdivisions. This didn't take away from the exercise and enjoyability of the hike, but I was constantly reminded by a bass loud muffler, a police siren, or a thumping bass box that I was still in a heavily populated area. I'm sure if I'd picked trails towards the backside of the Forest (near the Broad River), I'd have found more peace and quiet.

Overall, though, this is a gem in the midst of the hustle and bustle of Columbia. There is a slow flowing creek that you cross several times, and there are several types of plants in the forest that I don't see too often in the Upstate or just on the side of the road. I highly recommend coming here if you are in the area. I'm sure a moutain bike would also be a great way to explore this area. I was racing the sunset, so I made this 7-8 mile combined loop/out-and-back in about 2.5 hours.

Visited November 2011

Been to Harbison State Forest? Share your experiences!