“Outstanding place to host a business meeting or other gathering”

Hilton Garden Inn Columbia / Northeast
Ranked #2 of 93 Hotels in Columbia
Reviewed July 27, 2012

In the last two days I have hosted my third professional business meeting in this hotel. Their meeting rooms are good size, and easily accomodated the needs of my team of twenty plus professionals, they were fantastic in both execution and set-up, and were always there and willing to help when we asked for it.

On Thursday the 25th we enjoyed the "Executive Deli Buffet" and were served by Gregory, one of the finest most professional customer service individuals I have had the pleasure of meeting. Several members of my general Management team commented on his service, and were continually wowed by his performance.

The rooms where we stayed were outstanding and were keeping with the highest levels of cleanliness, and service that this staff obviously provides itself on delivering.

Breakfast in the downstairs cafe was as wonderful as we've come to expect and again the service was impeccable.

On Thursday the 26th we once again used the services in the meeting room, and this time enjoyed the "Fiesta Buffet" luncheon. We were once again given "legendary" service by the whole team, and enjoyed this luncheon even more than the previous one.

All in all this was a top notch experience, and I plan to continue hosting all of my meeting at this location well into the future. Thanks HGI Columbia NE. You all really show the heart of your commitment to service on a daily basis, and make your customers feel valued. Great Job!!!

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled on business
GMColumbia, General Manager at Hilton Garden Inn Columbia / Northeast, responded to this reviewResponded August 21, 2012

I would like to thank you for taking time to share your experience at our Hilton Garden Inn Columbia/Northeast as your kind words keep our spirits high. I am glad that you and your team had a wonderful experience our meeting facility for both days.

Gregory is truly a star of the banquet lunch service as he has many compliments to his credit already; we all are delighted to have him on our team as he has become an asset for our F&B team and a service leader. What makes Gregory an outstanding individual is his ability to understand needs of each guest and accommodate every need possible.

Our housekeeping team works tirelessly to keep the rooms cleanest possible as our entire team is always committed to providing the best of the products and service to each and every guest.

We look forward to having you in future along with your group. It is our pleasure to serve you. Your humble gestures will a long way in keeping our team's morale up. Our guests are the reason why we are here and we will continue to put our best foot forward.

Thank you again.

Reviewed July 20, 2012

I stayed at this Hotel after checking out from another hotel in Columbia that was "not up to par" (see my other reviews). After coming from the old hotel to this hotel, I was in heaven. The hotel is situated on the northern part of Columbia and is in a more business centric area of the town. It's about 15 minutes from Fort Jackson and conveniently located off exit 19 on I-77. It's somewhat hidden behind some trees so don't go too fast off the exit or you may miss it.

Checking in was a breeze and the front desk guy was extremely nice. As a HHonors Diamond Member, I was upgraded to a larger room. The room was large with the usual awesome beds at Hilton Garden Inn hotels. The room was clean and smelled fresh. This is actually a feat in the area because the humidity in the summer can make hotel rooms extremely muggy and uncomfortable at the lower budget stops. Lighting in the room was great and I found the internet connection to be fast. At night, the rooms were very quiet. On a note of caution, there is a train in the area of the hotel and you can hear it some days at odd times. This wasn't a big deal to me because my home is located near a train track, so I'm fairly used to the noise...but it may bug some folks.

Breakfast in the morning was great. If you're not a HHonors Elite member, it will run you $9.95, but there's a lot of food for the value. There aren't a lot of options immediately in the area, unless you're looking for a Waffle House. Everything else is located at exit 17 off I-77 (Outback, Chili's, Ihop, etc) The hotel staff was all awesome. Everyone seemed to enjoy their jobs, or at least give off that vibe and it made the experience all the better. Parking for the hotel is a bit limited when the hotel is completely sold out. Some people made their own parking spots. Overall, it was an excellent stay. if I ever find myself in the area again, I'd happily stay there and would recommend it to you.

Room Tip: Get a front side room away from the train tracks
1  Thank goldarch
GMColumbia, General Manager at Hilton Garden Inn Columbia / Northeast, responded to this reviewResponded July 24, 2012

It is indeed a delight to hear back from one of our loyal Hilton guests. We thank you for choosing our property and we value your kind words. We are located in Columbia Northeast business district, convenient to many of the businesses and a short 10 minute drive away from the Fort Jackson. We are glad you found our location to be easily accessible.

I am glad to hear that you got a chance to enjoy our Garden Sleep System mattress as it is the trademark feature of our guest rooms. Keeping guest rooms fresh is always a challenge in Columbia, SC with 100 degree heat and humidity, however, this building has AAON system to keep the positive air pressure and it keeps pumping in cool fresh air.

Cook to Order breakfast is worth the price of $9.95. We do have a good variety menu at the Great American Grill and bar for dinner and room service; however, many restaurants are nearby with a short drive. Village at Sandhill is just minutes away, it offers shopping, dining and movies. Again, we are located centrally on I-77 Farrow Rd and just 15 minutes from Columbia Downtown.

It will be our pleasure to have back at our property on your next visit to Columbia, SC and we are thankful to you for choosing our newest Hilton Garden Inn Columbia/Northeast.

Reviewed July 16, 2012

If you are familiar with the Hilton Garden Inn brand then this hotel offers no surprise. The architecture is standard and the rooms are like those in other Hilton Garden Inns I've stayed in. The hotel is located a very short drive off I-77 but far enough away to keep out traffic noise. The grounds are attractive and well-kept. An undeveloped area lies just behind the hotel which is both attractive and dampens traffic noise.

Check in was without incident and the room was clean and cool. The furniture and carpet was in good shape. Everything worked. The bathroom was very clean. We didn't eat in the hotel, choosing to try an Irish-style pub nearby. I don't recommend that but many chain restaurants are within a very short drive.

We had a drink afterwards before returning to our rooms The bartender was pleasant and the drinks were fine. The lobby of this brand is always pleasant - bright and open.

I saw one review complaining about finding the proper exit off Interstate. We had no problem finding the well-marked and very visible exit to the hotel.

We stayed only a single night but the bed was comfortable and the room quiet. Friendly staff, clean facility, comfortable and quiet rooms, restaurants nearby, easy exit and entrance to Interstate -- what else does a traveler need?

Room Tip: Try to get a room backing up to the rear of the hotel - a more attractive view.
  • Stayed: July 2012, traveled on business
GMColumbia, General Manager at Hilton Garden Inn Columbia / Northeast, responded to this reviewResponded July 20, 2012

We are thrilled to hear back from you and we thank you for choosing the Hilton Garden Inn Columbia/Northeast and noticing the attributes of this hotel. Guest compliments such as this one helps us feel appreciated and keeps our team moral up. We are grateful for the kind words.

There are variety of chain restaurants nearby and Village at Sandhills offers shopping, dining and movies. As a year old hotel, we still get a traveler who finds it a bit difficult to locate us; I am glad to hear that you noticed all of our signage and had no issue with location.

We make a valiant effort to satisfy each and every guest 100% and it is our top priority. Again, we thank you for choosing the new Hilton Garden Inn Columbia/Northeast in Columbia, SC and we will see you on your next trip through Columbia, SC.

Reviewed June 13, 2012

This was the first time staying at a Hilton Garden Inn. We had the two queen jr suite. Having a family of five it gets difficult finding a roomy two queen bed room with a nice pullout sofa bed. Usually get stuck with double beds not queens and flimsy sofa bed. This suite was lovely. The hotel is all non smoking and no pets allowed. Our family has allergies to cats and dogs so staying at a hotel that is animal free is important. There are plenty of tables and chairs outside in several areas for smoking. There were two large flat screen tvs (no fighting over tv from kids, lol). The bathroom was large with lots of room to dress. Nice touch was mouthwash, lotion, shampoo and conditioner.

The swimming pool is an indoor pool with jacuzzi. The workout room is next to pool with big glass windows. This was nice working out and keeping an eye on my teenagers in the pool. The workout room has two treadmills, two ellipticals, stationary bike, tv, and some other workout items. I really liked that the pool and workout room is open til midnight.

All of the staff were friendly and social. The front desk clerk suggested places near to shop and gave us a printed map of the area. The breakfast was tasty. All the wait staff were extremely helpful and eager to serve. The cook to order items were delicious and plentiful.

The only con was the blanket for the pullout bed. It was torn and brittle feeling. We always travel with a blanket so it wasn't a problem. Our room faced the back of hotel, we could hear a train several times but it wasn't too bad.

We enjoyed our stay so much that we are staying again tomorrow on our return trip home.

Stayed: June 2012, traveled with family
GMColumbia, General Manager at Hilton Garden Inn Columbia / Northeast, responded to this reviewResponded June 15, 2012

We are delighted to hear that you have enjoyed our hotel so much and we are very much appreciative of your kind words.

The double suite indeed is very convenient with two queen beds and a sofa pull-out. We are glad to hear that the two large 42" TVs were useful. We are one of the very few properties with indoor heated pool and I am pleased that your family was able to take full advantage of that along with the fitness center. Cook to Order breakfast is the signature of our Great American Grill as we try to start everyone's day with wonderful experience.

Again, I want to thank you for taking your time let us know how we are doing. Our team will be delighted to read your response and it is guests such as yourself who encourage us to create a home away from home for travelers. We will be seeing you on your trip back to Columbia, SC.

Reviewed May 19, 2012

Simple yet clean and nice.

the adjustable firmness of the beds is a nice feature. We are looking forward to the breakfast at 6:30

Easy to find but a little out of the way from downtown

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled with family
GMColumbia, General Manager at Hilton Garden Inn Columbia / Northeast, responded to this reviewResponded May 28, 2012

We thank you for taking time to give us the valuable feedback on how we are doing. Housekeeping team works very hard to make sure every room is clean and I am sure they will appreciate your kind words. At the Hilton Garden Inn Columbia/Northeast, all of our beds are equipped with Garden Sleep System mattresses and are one of the best in the hotel industry.

We are conveniently located of I-77; exit 19 Farrow Rd, a short 10 minute drive away from Columbia Downtown. Next time you and your family are traveling through Columbia, SC, please give us an opportunity to serve you again. We certainly thank you for choosing our property and we will be waiting to welcome you back to our hotel.

Kind Regards,

Reviewed April 10, 2012

This hotel's management has curiously decided to punish a valued customer by purposefully going back on the word of their front desk associate. In summary, my family had arrived fairly late in the evening only to learn that our reservation date had incorrectly been applied as three days prior on the web site reservation. The clerk graciously and correctly agreed to apply that reservation to the nights stay due to it being a "common" mistake. We were grateful for his consideration as we were prepared to continue on to destination, a short distance away, as our children we ready for a good night's rest.
We then checked out as normal the next morning only to learn a short time later that the Hotel management had gone back on the word of the clerk and were now charging me for an additional night's stay. They offered to apply a complimentary room to a future stay but could not explain: 1) Why they were going back on their promise 2) Why they could not apply the comp offer to the night that we had stayed. 3) Explain how they were 'damaged' by the incorrect date in the original res. (was clearly low season in January).
I am a long time Hilton customer and am completely flabbergasted as to why I should be treated in such a disingenuous fashion. Do they honestly think that I would visit again after being lied to?

Stayed: January 2012, traveled with family
5  Thank pbrmeasap
GMColumbia, General Manager at Hilton Garden Inn Columbia / Northeast, responded to this reviewResponded May 8, 2012

Firstly, let me apologize for your displeasure with our property. I can understand your feelings toward not wanting to pay for a no-show charge.

The reservation was booked via website incorrectly by yourself or your planner; there was no error on hotel’s part. This is not “common” mistake. A simple phone call to change the reservation would have sufficed and we could have avoided the entire situation. Our front desk team is not authorized to refund a no-show charge, our Front Office Manager resolves such issues and offering a future stay is our first course of action. We have made refunds for several no-shows with documentation of medical, travel, and other emergencies as we understand the situation one may end up with unexpectedly.

The no-show charge is valid, as both of your disputes with American Express were ruled in hotel’s favor by your credit card company. It is not a question of how we are “damaged” in slow season; we made a promise to hold a room for you and your family, and which we stood by and hence the no-show charge.

We make a valiant effort to satisfy each and every guest as we are rated among the top 10% of the Hilton Garden Inn hotels. We thank you for choosing our property and we appreciate you for being a loyal Hilton guest.

Reviewed April 5, 2012

Room, breakfast, check in, staff: All excellent.
PS: Best hash browns in the world.

• Stayed: March 2012, traveled on business
GMColumbia, General Manager at Hilton Garden Inn Columbia / Northeast, responded to this reviewResponded April 9, 2012

We are glad to hear that you enjoyed our Hilton Garden Inn Columbia/Northeast. I will be sure to pass along the comments to the team and the chef will be delighted to hear your response. At the Hilton Garden Inn Columbia/Northeast we take pride in what we do and guests such as yourself keeps us going. We thank you for choosing our hotel and hope to see you in future.