“My favorite is the bone in pork shank appetizer. Great little secret spot in northeast cola!”
Review of Julep's Bistro

Julep's Bistro
Ranked #592 of 973 Restaurants in Columbia
Cuisines: American, Cajun & Creole, Bar, Pizza, Seafood, Pub
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff
Description: Uncle "M" and Aunt Kath opened Julep's Bistro in 2013 preserving and re-imagining old favorites while bringing a fresh new perspective to the bistro menu. Armed with an extensive background in the service industry across the country, Uncle has made Columbia home and loves introducing new people into the "Family." Chef Mark joined the Julep's family in 2013. He enlisted in the Army National Guard at eighteen and attended the Joint Culinary Center for Excellence. After completing six years of service, he brought his experience to Julep's. He enjoys translating experience into new recipes. Chef Devin joined the Julep's family in 2013. He attended culinary school in his home state of New Jersey and honed his skills in steakhouses and pubs throughout the Shore before relocating to SC. A Southerner at heart, Chef Devin's passion is designing seasonal dishes utilizing the best in local ingredients. Mixologist Nikki joined the Julep's family in 2013. She began mixing up cocktails in her home state of New Jersey and quickly found she has a natural talent for hospitality. This combination helped her create Julep's signature drink menu and help patrons select the perfect pairing for a stellar meal
Columbia, South Carolina, United States
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
Reviewed February 27, 2013 via mobile

I try to go once a month and my kids like it too. Again the bone in pork shank is in incredible. Great little secret spot in northeast cola!

1 Thank Kelly W

Lubbock, Texas
“Great Valentine's Day Find!”
Reviewed February 15, 2013

Occasionally you get lucky when you've procrastinated. Case in point, by waiting until 7 PM on Valentine's Day to start looking, all of our favorite restaurants were totally booked. But I've always said I would rather be lucky than good. Mint Julep Bistro turned out to exceed all my expectations, starting with the appropriately themed horse racing artwork decorating this classy establishment. Our waiter was very attentive and personable and the food was tasty, with generous portions. My wife decided to make a meal on three of the tapas selections among the Appetizers. But she ended up eating half of my seafood platter, with enough left over for tomorrow's lunch. The peaches foster was unique twist on a venerable dessert. All in all a delightful and romantic evening spent enjoying the live music, pleasant company and good food. If you find yourself at Solstice Kitchen having to wait, consider ducking around the corner and giving Mint Julep's a try. I think that you will be delighted that you did.

• Visited February 2013
Lexington, Kentucky
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Southern cuisine and hospitality at it best”
Reviewed January 20, 2013

I travel frequently on business to the SC area.
I have discovered what I think is one of the best experiences I have enjoyed for food and drink in Columbia, SC.
The Mint Julep is a wonderfully appointed restaurant and bar serving some of the best drinks and food that I have enjoyed anywhere in the country.
The menu has everything to small dish items, seafood and chicken dishes and some of the best steaks I have every had, the filet is to die for!!!!
They also feature what I call low country cuisine. These food items take you back to when food was closer to the land. Choices like fried green tomatoes, shrimp and grits and even turnip greens are prepared with basic ingrediants with the flare of a what I consider a 5 star chef's expertise. The food melts in you mouth.
Friday's are Jazz night and they bring in some of the best talent in the Columbia area. This past week was a guitarist Eugene Genay. He has performed internationally and had the crowd up and dancing the whole evening. Anyone who can get me on the dance floor must be good.
The place has a strong local following and exhudes a very warm appeal to anyone coming in.
The owner has been on-site every night. He does not just make courtesy table calls but really wants to hear what his customers are saying about the food and drinks. He keeps a close eye on the kitchen for what the customers are asking for in the way of special requests.
The place truely stands out from the rest in Columbia.

• Visited January 2013
Raleigh, NC
“Tapas + More”
Reviewed January 10, 2013

Dining choices in the neighborhood of mid-priced motels just off interstate highways are typically limited, and it's always a gamble staying at a property that you haven't been to before. Finding Mint Juleps was a joy. They've recently added conventional entrees to their "starter" menu, but I stuck with the small plates and had fried oysters, sausage and shrimp gumbo and pork shanks with mustard sauce. Each was tasty, and while the oysters weren't exceptional, the gumbo would have done well on any Louisiana menu and the pork shanks were falling off the bone good. Portions were generous, not exactly "small plates". The only drawback was an overenthusiastic bartender who was apparently entertaining friends. They were having a great time, and everyone's money is valuable to a restaurant at 9:00 on a weeknight, but he did a more than passing impersonation of a donkey when he laughed. That's unlikely to be a common occurrence, but it did take away from an otherwise great dining experience. Overall recommended.

• Visited January 2013
Asheville, North Carolina, United States
“Nothing To Get Excited About”
Reviewed October 12, 2012 via mobile

My husband and I decided to give this restaurant a try so we had dinner there tonight. I ordered the vodka peppadew penne pasta and my husband had the crab stuffed tilapia. My pasta was $15 and added shrimp for $5. I got 5 small pieces of shrimp and my pasta was flavorless and not even hot. My husband's tilapia was nice and hot so I'm guessing my food sat there while his was cooking. He said his tilapia was full of flavor and very good! His mashed potatoes were dry and flaky. We did really enjoy the fried green tomatoes with a different twist. I just didn't see the product for the prices we paid.

1 Thank JeanetteE929