“A true taste of the Caribbean in downtown Columbia-no cruise needed!”
Review of Mojito's Tropical Cafe - CLOSED

Mojito's Tropical Cafe
Cuisines: Cuban
Good for: Romantic, Families with children
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Reservations
Columbia, South Carolina
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“A true taste of the Caribbean in downtown Columbia-no cruise needed!”
Reviewed August 11, 2011

Mojito's Tropical Cafe is a wonderful, refreshing change...amazing food, people, and atmosphere. The decor and music makes you feel like you're somewhere far away on a tropical island. The food is a mix of Cuban, Hispanic, and Caribbean, and it's fresh, authentic and delicious. The service is first rate, and both times I've been the owner/manager has stopped by our table to speak to us. Super sweet lady, and genuinely interested in our dining experience.

I enjoyed it so much the first time, I went back a week later so I could try something different on the menu. The first time we started with an empanadas appetizer, which was great, and I had the pork Cubano Sandwich-excellent! The next time I tried the pulled pork dinner, and it was sublime! The pork is just perfection...so tender, it practically melts in your mouth! Dinner comes with several sides including plantains, rice and choice of red or black beans. My friend had the Cilantro Lime Chicken, and she raved about it as well.

I'm not usually a fan of Mojitos, but I tried their version, and it was made perfectly...I made myself stop at one (but my friend had 4!). There's a case full of fabulous looking desserts, but I've yet to try any of those. I heard there's an avocado pie that's not to be missed, but I'm not sure they have that all the time. Something else to look forward to for my next visit! Try this fabulous little place the next time you're in SC's capital city-you won't be disappointed!

• Visited August 2011

South Carolina
“Dissapointed-Tasteless Food, Nice Atmosphere”
Reviewed August 8, 2011

I'm wondering if the people who wrote these amazing reviews dined at the same place?? After seeing the rave reviews on this place I was so excited to try a new restuarant in Columbia, SC. Of course it left so much to be desired. First the drinks were so weak. We then ordered an appetizer of Tostones which we took one bite of and left the rest on the plate. It tasted like the definition of tasteless. The entree's were about the same. We left dissapointed and somewhat hungry. The restaurants atmosphere was very cool and felt very Islandy. The owner was very nice as well.

• Visited August 2011
1 Thank victoriamac
Summerville, South Carolina
“Great Food and Great Time in very Relaxed Atmosphere”
Reviewed August 5, 2011

We went based on the reviews on here and all 5 of us enjoyed and raved about our dinners in this relaxed atmosphere. The menu highlights food from sandwiches to full platters ranging from about $10 - $20. I personally tried the chicken platter(white meat) and pulled pork platter and both were worth getting again. The sweet plantains were perfect and the yuca was good as well. We have already recommended this place to others we know that come to Columbia. Maybe next time we will indulge in some of the Mojitos - definately a common drink in this place. (It is located across the street from Mellow Mushroom)

• Visited July 2011
“Best in Columbia!”
Reviewed July 23, 2011

Great new restaurant! Read the reviews and had to try it. Excellent food, excellent service and nice island decor and pleasant Latin music. We had the empanadas and the Cubano sandwich and both were wonderfully flavorful... the mojito was refreshing after another scorching Columbia day. The pesto pasta salad was great as well. The owner came right to the table and was pleasant and kind. Only complaint is they close at 10 on Saturday which is a little early for a Vista restaurant. Must try restaurant though!

1 Thank usmcscar
ATL
“Fabulous Food and Friendly Service, not far from Route 20”
Reviewed July 6, 2011

Wow, my wife and I were driving by all the typical fast food stops along route 20 on our way back from a long trip and luckily after we googled we found a real gem of a restaurant. The woman who owned the establishment couldn't have been nicer and the food her sons prepared was delicious and fresh. We both split a salad, some Sangria and a couple Cubans sandwiches that were awesome. The place was reasonable priced and is well worth the detour off the highway!!!!!

• Visited July 2011