“Unique Downtown Restaurant”

Ranked #23 of 1,004 Restaurants in Columbia
Cuisines: American
Good for: Bar scene
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Late Night
Description: Hunter-Gatherer Brewery has been brewing and serving classic ales since 1995. Starting in 2015, we will regularly feature cask-conditioned ales served from wood kilderkins made by Alastair Simms, the only master cooper in the United Kingdom. Michael Jackson, aka the "Beer Hunter", visited the Hunter-Gatherer Brewery in 1997. He wrote that the Hunter-Gatherer is "the kind of place CAMRA (Campaign For Real Ale) members might enjoy. The beer is the hero, rather than the brewery being an afterthought. In the U.S., And even sometimes in Britain, the latter is too often the case." Michael Jackson was the best beer writer and critic the world has known. A compliment from Michael Jackson is as meaningful as it gets in the brewery world.
Reviewed December 2, 2012

I dined on a Saturday night, and the place was VERY busy. Waitstaff were jumping, but taking good care of everything and everybody. The restaurant brews some excellent beer, which would be reason enough to get serious beer aficionados here. The menu is interesting, but not extensive. Add to it a bunch of great specials and you are in for some difficult choices. My group started at the friendly bar for drinks and appetizers before assembling a table for twelve. We were out-of-town visitors, and everyone liked their dinners. I almost went for the duck special, but saw some awesome looking hamburger plates go by - so I had an excellent burger complete with Gorgonzola cheese. This place is also fun. If you visit three restaurants in Columbia, this should be one of them.

Reviewed November 30, 2012

Very good beer and the esb pimento cheese spread was delicious. Would genuinely return to this place.

Reviewed November 17, 2012

In town for college football game. Guys were looking for a place to sample beers so ended up here. Unknowingly arrived on jazz night so we lucked out & had great music with our dinner. Had one of the best meals on our trip here.

Reviewed November 5, 2012

My wife and I have been here 3 times over the years and have always enjoyed the food, beer, atmosphere, and service. People with very high expectations might be dissatisfied, but "regular folk" like us who appreciate real good---but less than great----will find a visit well worthwhile (especially during nonrush hours).

Reviewed November 3, 2012

I may have had to wait before but honestly the food is good enough to deserve it. I have had horrible meals at plenty of other places around Columbia but not here. It is my go to if I want to ensure a good meal. Outside of food, everyone has their own taste in beer. Personally, the wheat may be nothing spectacular but it has never tasted horrible. It always goes well with my meal and it tastes better than some tired old bottle of light beer. This past time was the just the same: Great food and good beer.