“Great place for dinner before an event at the Koger”

Hunter-Gatherer Brewery & Alehouse
Ranked #18 of 967 Restaurants in Columbia
Cuisines: American, Bar, Pub
Good for: Dining on a budget, Bar scene, Local cuisine, Families with children
Dining options: Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible, Wine and Beer
Description: Hunter-Gatherer Brewery has been brewing and serving classic ales since 1995. Starting in 2015, we will regularly feature cask-conditioned ales served from wood kilderkins made by Alastair Simms, the only master cooper in the United Kingdom. Michael Jackson, aka the "Beer Hunter", visited the Hunter-Gatherer Brewery in 1997. He wrote that the Hunter-Gatherer is "the kind of place CAMRA (Campaign For Real Ale) members might enjoy. The beer is the hero, rather than the brewery being an afterthought. In the U.S., And even sometimes in Britain, the latter is too often the case." Michael Jackson was the best beer writer and critic the world has known. A compliment from Michael Jackson is as meaningful as it gets in the brewery world.
Charleston, South Carolina
“Great place for dinner before an event at the Koger”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 24, 2011

My husband and I were in Columbia last night to see the James Taylor concert and found this restaurant by using google places. It was a great find for what we wanted - a casual dinner located near the Koger Center before the concert. The place was packed with concert-goers but we were lucky to get a table after 10 minutes. It was "seat yourself" so I'm assuming they don't take reservations. The menu is varied with something for everyone....salads, burgers, pizzas and an impressive array of dinner specials. I opted for the PEI mussels special - in a chorizo garlic sauce - and my husband had the greek salad from the menu. Both items were delicious and the portions were just the right size. We were in a bit of a hurry and our server went out of his way to make sure we got out in time. Would definitely go back here again.

• Visited March 2011

Irmo, South Carolina
“Brewpub...but wait, there's food!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 16, 2011

When I went to H.G. for my birthday, it was for the purpose of visiting a restaurant with good beer. I had NO idea the place had such lovely dinners! ...what a nice surprise! The beer is good, but I must say that the brewmaster should be ashamed of the slopy condition of the brewery (if the equipment in the restaurant is indeed the active brewery) as it was filthy and in disarray. The service was kind of crappy, so I would advise some work be done there, but I will definately go back because the food, beer, and cleanliness of the customer area make up for the problems I had.

Columbia, South Carolina
“Blah”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 29, 2010

This place is ok. We got soem bean dip that was kinda bland and the wheat beer was nothing to write home about. The waitress thought she was too cool for everyone so she can suck it.

1 Thank tilt122
Gastonia, North Carolina
“Very good”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 12, 2010

It's definitely a solid restaurant with a menu that is ever changing. It's pretty rare you can find items like foie gras and duck breast at a place that is a brewhouse.

Columbia, SC
“Very good beer and much better than average bar food”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 16, 2010

Too many places that offer above-average beer fall short in the food department, but not Hunter Gatherer. I would recommend it to a non-beer drinker for the good food alone. I always enjoy visiting and always get a great meal and some great beer in a cool atmosphere.