“To better understand the nuances of South Carolina, visit the museum”

South Carolina State Museum
Ranked #4 of 108 things to do in Columbia
More attraction details
Owner description: The South Carolina State Museum is a state-of-the-art facility featuring four floors of permanent and changing exhibits, a digital dome planetarium, 4D interactive theater and an observatory. The State Museum, the largest and most comprehensive museum in the state, is located along the banks of the Congaree River in downtown Columbia, South Carolina.
Reviewed July 29, 2013

If you wonder about the flag of South Carolina, you can learn and see its origins at the museum. There are models of mill villages.
Interesting displays of local technology as it relates to the textile industry. Great insight into the civil rights movement. A replica of the Hunley submarine is on display as is the first BMW that rolled off the manufacturing facility built by the German firm in the US.
Great for a rainy day or one that is just too hot to be outside...

Reviewed July 29, 2013

One of the highest-ranked attractions in South Carolina! Ever-changing displays of the past, present and future of our society. Highly recommended.

Reviewed July 29, 2013

If you are interested in the history of South Carolina this is the place for you. This is a large museum with plenty of exhibits for all ages. Kids will love the activity's, programs and tours. Check the web site for current and upcoming events. Admission is only $1 the first Sunday of each month.

Reviewed July 29, 2013

It is sad that tax-payer money supports this sorry, nearly worthless museum. They do host traveling exhibits, such as the Titanic and Mayan exhibits mentioned elsewhere. These traveling exhibits are commercial ventures. I don't understand why the State of SC supports them.

2  Thank tmdonahue
Reviewed July 24, 2013

I've taken my 10 year old granddaughter twice. She loved it and I enjoyed helping her learn about history. It was a great way to enjoy our day together. My granddaughter is the one who tells me when there is an exhibit she would like to see. We saw the Titanic and the Mayan exhibitions. Since I had previously visited some Mayan ruins, I was able to add some of my experiences to our venture. This is a great opportunity to spend great quality time with your family.

Been to South Carolina State Museum? Share your experiences!