Open today: 10:00 AM - 8:00 PM
Review Highlights
Great way to spend part of a day

Reviewed yesterday
Mink52
Waukesha, Wisconsin
via mobile
Small but good natural history and astronomy museum - kids 8to 12

MRRomanSC
Columbia, South Carolina

All reviews four floors south carolina cotton mill natural history civil war great gift shop interesting exhibits confederate relic room all ages on display solar eclipse old mill great place to visit planetarium telescope dinosaurs science
Reviewed yesterday via mobile

We flinched a bit when we saw all of the school buses as we drove up, but went in anyway. For just $15.90, 2 seniors were able to see all of the exhibits - but not go to any of the separate shows available onsite. (Perfect for us.)
The almost life size Huntley submarine was awesome. (I suspect it was 5’ shorter than the original because I was made before the original was rediscovered.) The cotton gin machines were interesting, as was their extended focus on the realities of colonial plantation life in the region. The early 1800’s half-finished dugout canoe (still attached to the original tree stump!) was pretty awesome.
Unfortunately, we visited on a Monday, and the connected Carolina Military Museum was closed. We’ll get there another time...
We thoroughly enjoyed the museum, in spite of the man6 school groups that we shared the space with.

Reviewed 1 week ago

Good children's museum- geared to dinosaurs, sharks, nature, etc. Very nice planetarium. Can get pricey as admission does cover all the attractions. Look for free days. Attached to a military museum focused on the Civil War.

Reviewed 1 week ago

Excellent presentation of South Carolina's past with nice civil war era, reconstruction, and progression through to current times. Plan at least three hours to do it justice

Reviewed 1 week ago

I drove from Charleston to meet distant cousin from Greer, SC. I’m not local. Cute lunch place came up which was associated with the r the meet I walked through the museum an hour before closing. WOW Very Cute! Mainly designed for children, it still had an edge for us older folks. Entrance fees are affordable

Reviewed 3 weeks ago

This museum has a little bit of everything. It has exhibits talking about every part of South Carolina history and all of the major industries of the state. This was my first time visiting S. Carolina and I could have spent all day at this museum. The price was very cheap for the impressive museum that it was. I would go back again. A great place for kids and adults alike.

1  Thank mdjaao
Reviewed 4 weeks ago via mobile

My husband and I visited the museum and planetarium last week and really enjoyed it.

There’s also an observatory, but we didn’t get a chance to visit that.

It’s October, so it’s all about Halloween, of course! We really enjoyed the Wizard of Oz forest and playing OZ, complete with the levers to create the flames etc. this would be especially fun with kids!

There’s a lot to see in here, so plan to take your time.

Reviewed October 8, 2018 via mobile

My family enjoyed this museum. The staff was very helpful with my special needs daughter. Fun for the whole family

Reviewed September 29, 2018

The is a very nice facility in a renovated mill building. Enjoyed all of the exhibits, especially the observatory where we could look through a variety of telescopes and see several planets very clearly. Wonderful experience. Highly recommended.

Reviewed September 28, 2018 via mobile

really really big, with lots of stuff, some of which is worth looking at - though most of it is not. ok for kids? schoolgroups? the telescope was probably the best part

Reviewed September 21, 2018 via mobile

This is a very nice museum, worth a few hours of your time. The exhibits change often, so a return visit is worth the time.