“Hotel Stay”

Ranked #38 of 94 Hotels in Columbia
Clarksville, Tennessee, United States
“Hotel Stay”
Reviewed November 14, 2012

I stayed in this hotel for 5 weeks while on a military assignement. I had to move rooms a total of three times during this stay. First, I had a spill which wasn't cleaned properly. I was moved into room (#503) and after two weeks of unexplained bite marks I realized that it had bed bugs. Third room was ok; however, it had a leaking sink and no proper plug for the bathtub. There was a gym in the hotel with two treadmills and a couple of other equipment. The treadmills did not work properly the whole time I was there. After several complaints (by many) they were still not working by the time I left the hotel. Lastly, breakfast took too long to be served in the mornings. I would recommend that they offer a buffet style breakfast. Also, whenever possible, offer suites to those occupants that will be staying in the hotel for more than a week.
I must say, however, that ALL of the workers that I encoutered were extremely professional and willing to help. To list a few are Jodi Davis (manager), Dave Richardson (maintanance), Amy and Carol (I believe) at the front desk.

1 Thank Vitalia S
8105hotelgm, General Manager at Holiday Inn Hotel & Suites - North, responded to this review, November 15, 2012
Dear Vitalia S,

We appreciate you for sharing with us the dissatisfaction during your recent stay with us. I apologize for all the inconveniences regarding your frequent room moves, the maintenance issues, the treadmill not working properly and the long wait to be serviced in our restaurant.

We have rectified the problem with the bugs in the room you were in; also went above and beyond to have every room inspected to ensure this does not happen again with another guest. We are also working to resolve the problem with the treadmills in our workout facility. I do apologize this was not fixed during your 5 week stay at the hotel. We have also been working diligently to improve the quality of food, service and overall customer satisfaction within our food and beverage department. If in the area again, I hope you will give us the opportunity to give you a more positive retrospect of our hotel and what we are about here at the Holiday Inn.

Our staff goes above and beyond to help guests in every way possible. Thank you for letting us know who stood out. I know they appreciate all the feedback, positive and negative.

Thank you again for choosing Holiday Inn Columbia North. We look forward to providing you with your accommodations if you are in the Columbia area again in the future.

Warmest Regards,
Amy

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (45)
Charlotte, North Carolina
Reviewed November 12, 2012

I've stayed here 3 times in the last 90 days. Location and availability have been keys. My rooms have always been clean. The bed has been comfortable, but the pillows are hard, so bring your own if you can. The hotel has always been organized and neat. Abundant parking.

I have another visit booked already, so I would recommend this as an option to friends.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank GamecockFan2012
8105hotelgm, Manager at Holiday Inn Hotel & Suites - North, responded to this review, November 14, 2012
Dear GamecockFan2012,

Thank you for your continued loyalty to our Holiday Inn and to the IHG Brand. I am very pleased we are located conveniently for your travel needs and our beds and rooms meet your approval. Since you state you have an outstanding reservation, please call us in advance and we can have softer pillows placed in your room for your convenience. Also know that beginning in April of next year, we will be using a whole new brand of pillows that will be more appealing to guests like yourself that prefer the softer feather. In the mean time, just let us know and we can switch them out for you.

We look forward to your arrival again. Make sure you check out our Living Room Lounge during your next stay. Its a great place to sit back and watch the game!

Regards,
Huntsville, Alabama, United States
Reviewed October 18, 2012

I found two bugs in my room ( 1 crawling on the bed and other on the TV stand). The shower would not work properly and pillows are horrible. There was limited internet in my room which was at the end of the hall and the orange ethernet plug in the wall did not work at all.

The overall room was okay minus the "creepy critters." If I had to do it all over again I would stay some where else....

2 Thank Richard R
8105hotelgm, General Manager at Holiday Inn Hotel & Suites - North, responded to this review, November 2, 2012
Dear Richard R.,

Thank you for sharing with us your recent experience at our Holiday Inn. We strive to provide a memorable and positive experience with each of our guests. I appreciate you taking the time and informing us on how we can improve our quality of service in the future.

Thank you for letting us know of the "creepy critters" that decided to visit you in your room. We had the room thoroughly inspected to see the point of origin and correct the problem. I apologize for your shower not working properly and the Ethernet cord not working at all. When our guests let us know during their stay of problems they are experiencing we work rapidly to ensure the problems are solved and our guests leave happy. In the future we can also bring you extra pillows to increase your comfort level, upon your request.

We are working on improving our wireless internet for our guests to enjoy. When you come back to visit us again, you should be able to see an improvement with the connection.

Again, thank you for expressing your concerns. We look forward to you helping you out with your hotel accommodations in the future and giving you a more positive experience.
Charlotte, North Carolina
Reviewed October 12, 2012

Thought that i would try to this hotel due to it locations. Bad idea. After driving over 700 miles and arriving at the hotel early(2:00 pm), to be told that check in is at 4:00 pm. Explain on the trip from Texas and i would take any room did nothing at all. The hotel showed little to no compasion. Ask to use the business center and was told that it was for guest that was check in. Being a platium member for over 18 years did little with this hotel. Did not offer a water,snack, or nothing for a weary traveler. Will not stop here again

5 Thank WorldTraveler2492
8105hotelgm, General Manager at Holiday Inn Hotel & Suites - North, responded to this review, October 18, 2012
Mr. Jamesanthony77,

We greatly appreciate you taking the time to respond on how we failed to meet the expectations you have come to know from Holiday Inn. We never want our guests to feel like they are not welcome and important to our hotel and the IHG Brand.

While I do not know the exact details regarding why you were not available to check in upon your arrival, it is our priority to ensure all our guests are able to check in no later than 4pm. If another room type was not offered, it also might not been available.

In regards to not being allowed access to the business center, I do apologize and know that this is not a normal practice. All guests with reservations, whom are in house or checked out that day are allowed to use the business center.

Once again, I appreciate you informing the hotel where we failed to provide you with a lasting, memorable impression of our location. I will make sure the hotel staff is informed of your stay and coached appropriately to ensure a better guest experience in the future. I hope you will give us a chance to redeem ourselves.

Have a great day!!
Blanchard, Oklahoma
Reviewed September 11, 2012

we always stay at holiday inn express and always have a good experience. i booked this stay specifically for their breakfast since it was sold as a 'sit down order off the menu'...what a joke!!! the first day i had to argue with them because they tried telling us that we only got 2 vouchers and not the 4 we were promised. the wait staff is a huge joke!!! everyone in the restaurant that morning was complaining! orders were mixed up and food was served cold! because of that, we were late to family day at the army base!!! not happy! told the front desk and was told they'd 'pass it on'. the second day they were late opening and now it was a buffet but the food was still cold and awful. the only job for the wait staff was to get out drinks and they couldn't seem to do that....never got my coffee but went up front to get some and they were out. keep in mind, there were a lot of army parents and family staying there and apparently there's a graduation every two weeks so you'd think this would be old hat...wrong! day three...had some cold eggs, ugh, but today they brought out serve yourself coffee/water. i could not see paying to eat there let alone leaving a tip.
then, when i asked about late check out, which i did several times, i was always told to ask someone else the day we were scheduled to check out because if they were booked we couldn't...very inconvenient, especially when trying to make plans! we're priority club members and have never experienced this lack of knowledge.
now, as far as their little store behind the check in desk....OMG, talk about marked up prices!!! a little travel size bottle of old spice body wash that you can buy at walmart for .99 cents was going for $3. i understand they need to make money too but that's just a rip off!
the fitness room was a joke compared to other holiday inns we've stayed at as was the computer room/wi-fi.
not only would i not recommend this hotel i'd tell people to find somewhere else to stay.

Room Tip: stay at a different holiday inn!
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
2 Thank snmplus3
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Hotel & Suites - North, responded to this review, September 30, 2012
Dear snmplus3,

Thank you for being a Priority Club Rewards Member and taking the time to write a review of our hotel. I am pleased that you found our location satisfactory to your needs. Please accept my sincerest apology for any inconvenience you had at breakfast. I understand the discomfort that this caused you and I appreciate you taking the time to bring this matter into our attention as we take the confidence our guests place in us very seriously and work diligently to rectify any unsatisfactory experiences.

Again, thank you for staying with us and taking the time to write your comments.

Pam G.
Case Manager
IHGCare
Mississauga, Canada
Reviewed August 26, 2012

Hotel is very nice and clean large pool great location with lots of restaurants to choose from. Only complaint was we checked in with a large party with multiple rooms and we had book on the Holiday Inn 1- 800 number and we asked for a two rollaway beds and upon check-in we were told that it was against local firecode to have rollaway beds in room. Ended up adding another room not the worst problem but would've liked to of known about the extra expense ahead of time I think this was more of a communication issues with the central booking call center then the hotel it's self. Front desk was accommodating and offered us a very good rate on the additional room which was nice. Would stay here again.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled with family
1 Thank Jim B
8105hotelgm, General Manager at Holiday Inn Hotel & Suites - North, responded to this review, August 28, 2012
Thank you so much for your positive feedback regarding your stay. I am so happy to hear that our front desk was able to accommodate your needs regarding the extra beds. We are working with our reservation sites to ensure proper information is given to guest upon making request regarding things such as rollaways in rooms. I hope you will stay with us again the next time you are in the Columbia area.

Have a great day!
Jazzmine Tomlin
Lake City, Florida
Reviewed July 12, 2012

Another Holiday Inn and another newer location....I've been getting pretty lucky lately. I can't figure out how this property ranks 44th in Columbia as listed on this website for hotels? The 43 ahead of it in rankings must really be something special because this one is about as good as they get.

Check in was a breeze and I received a "goodie bag" for being a Platinum Elite member. First hotel I've seen in quite some time where you don't have to put your key card in a slot to open your door. Simply wave it in front of the sensor and it opens up. Almost felt like I was back in the Pentagon again. The rooms are on the smaller side, especially if you have one with two beds. Speaking of beds, these rival Hampton Inn hotels in comfort and sleep quality. Time Warner Cable provides the television channels here and it's nice to search for what you want to watch via the on screen guide versus flipping endlessly. TV's are 32 inch LCD's.

Decent counter space is provided in the bathroom vanity area. The drain was a little slow in the sink, but nothing major. The refrigerator and microwave are tucked in the cabinet underneath the TV. Both the fridge and drawer space for clothing are a little small, but I made it happen even with the two big suitcases I always lug around on my frequent trips. The internet is reliable and it was nice to not experience any big slowdows in speed. Download speed overall isn't the greatest, but I've had far worse internet service in hotels

Housekeeping does a great job and the hotel overall ranks up there with some of the best I've seen in cleanliness. I didn't eat at the hotel's restaurant during my 10 night stay, but another co-worker said it was pretty good. Two Notch Road in either direction has plenty of food choices to choose from including grocery stores. Traffic noise from the nearby interstate isn't bad, but the interchange with Two Notch Road coming off the interstate from either direction can be a little tricky due to the heavy traffic.

The folks who take care of the outdoor pool do a great job. Several days in the triple digits "forced" me there many times. The towel shelf in the pool exit hallway was often empty, so I usually just brought them down from the room. This was also the case with the fitness room...BYOT. The gym equipment is nice. There you'll find 2 treadmills, a recumbent bike and a crosstrainer...all in good shape.

An uneventful stay overall...just the way I like it. If I'm in Columbia again, this is where I'm staying.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled on business
8105hotelgm, General Manager at Holiday Inn Hotel & Suites - North, responded to this review, July 19, 2012
Thank you for your positive feedback regarding your stay here with us at the Holiday Inn & Suites Columbia North. I am so happy to hear that you were pleased with the cable service provided. We just switched our boxes last month and we even have HBO On Demand for your viewing pleasure. We are looking into upgrading our internet service as we have heard that downloading has been slow. I will definitely pass along your comments to our housekeeping staff as they work very hard on our guest rooms. I hope that the next time you are in Columbia not only will you stay with us but that you will visit our restaurants for a hot breakfast or a nice steak dinner.