“The Newer The Better”

Holiday Inn Hotel & Suites - North
Ranked #36 of 94 Hotels in Columbia
Reviewed July 12, 2012

Another Holiday Inn and another newer location....I've been getting pretty lucky lately. I can't figure out how this property ranks 44th in Columbia as listed on this website for hotels? The 43 ahead of it in rankings must really be something special because this one is about as good as they get.

Check in was a breeze and I received a "goodie bag" for being a Platinum Elite member. First hotel I've seen in quite some time where you don't have to put your key card in a slot to open your door. Simply wave it in front of the sensor and it opens up. Almost felt like I was back in the Pentagon again. The rooms are on the smaller side, especially if you have one with two beds. Speaking of beds, these rival Hampton Inn hotels in comfort and sleep quality. Time Warner Cable provides the television channels here and it's nice to search for what you want to watch via the on screen guide versus flipping endlessly. TV's are 32 inch LCD's.

Decent counter space is provided in the bathroom vanity area. The drain was a little slow in the sink, but nothing major. The refrigerator and microwave are tucked in the cabinet underneath the TV. Both the fridge and drawer space for clothing are a little small, but I made it happen even with the two big suitcases I always lug around on my frequent trips. The internet is reliable and it was nice to not experience any big slowdows in speed. Download speed overall isn't the greatest, but I've had far worse internet service in hotels

Housekeeping does a great job and the hotel overall ranks up there with some of the best I've seen in cleanliness. I didn't eat at the hotel's restaurant during my 10 night stay, but another co-worker said it was pretty good. Two Notch Road in either direction has plenty of food choices to choose from including grocery stores. Traffic noise from the nearby interstate isn't bad, but the interchange with Two Notch Road coming off the interstate from either direction can be a little tricky due to the heavy traffic.

The folks who take care of the outdoor pool do a great job. Several days in the triple digits "forced" me there many times. The towel shelf in the pool exit hallway was often empty, so I usually just brought them down from the room. This was also the case with the fitness room...BYOT. The gym equipment is nice. There you'll find 2 treadmills, a recumbent bike and a crosstrainer...all in good shape.

An uneventful stay overall...just the way I like it. If I'm in Columbia again, this is where I'm staying.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled on business
8105hotelgm, General Manager at Holiday Inn Hotel & Suites - North, responded to this reviewResponded July 19, 2012

Thank you for your positive feedback regarding your stay here with us at the Holiday Inn & Suites Columbia North. I am so happy to hear that you were pleased with the cable service provided. We just switched our boxes last month and we even have HBO On Demand for your viewing pleasure. We are looking into upgrading our internet service as we have heard that downloading has been slow. I will definitely pass along your comments to our housekeeping staff as they work very hard on our guest rooms. I hope that the next time you are in Columbia not only will you stay with us but that you will visit our restaurants for a hot breakfast or a nice steak dinner.

There are newer reviews for Holiday Inn Hotel & Suites - North

Reviewed June 17, 2012

What a waste!!! Paid $170 for one night. Room was small...no hot water in the sink... pillows are horrible... Desided to have breakfast in their restaurant downstairs to hopefully save some time ( we were in a hurry). It was a joke! We had to wait for 45 min before we actually got some of our food. Kids never got their meals!!! Told the waiter to cancell out kids meals, he replied it was impossible. He brought kids food when we actually were done eatind and were going to leave. Had to argue with the waiter to about canceling the order. Asked to see a manager, but was comletely ignored and never had a chance to actually see him/her. Rediculous!! Don't waste your money, stay at some othe place!

• Stayed: June 2012
2  Thank Nursee2012
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Hotel & Suites - North, responded to this reviewResponded July 23, 2012

Dear Nursee2012,

Thank you for your feedback. We take our guest comments very seriously and always strive to provide comfortable and friendly accommodations. We’re sorry about the poor service received from our staff as well as the lack of hot water in the bathroom. We take the confidence our guests place in us very seriously and work diligently to rectify any unsatisfactory experiences. We hope you give us a chance in the future to show you how great our hotel is.

Orlando A.

Reviewed June 8, 2012

Upon arrival, the lobby is spacious and apears clean. After there a few days, it was obvious there are not enough gathering places in the lobby for more then 6-8 people. The guest room never had hot water..only tepid..we were there 3 nights. Restaurant food was poor...one egg request over medium was uneatable...the white not cooked. Orders were mixed up or incomplete. Do not blame wait staff. Blame management who use same wait staff to perform room service duties. Housekeeping Service equally short staffed....
Restaurant not open when we wanted to eat lunch or dinner...sign visible but no people in dining area...not even staff!
Value of room charge was to high for waht we received.
Good news...bed very comfortable, room size good, amenities ie shampoo etc fine.

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank racoonme
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Hotel & Suites - North, responded to this reviewResponded July 16, 2012

Dear racoonme,

Thank you for posting your review of our hotel. I am sorry to hear about the inconvenience brought by the service you received. We will follow this up with the hotel to ensure similar incidents could be avoided in the future.

We appreciate your feedback as this is our best resource for improving guest services.

Pam G.

Reviewed May 28, 2012

Our 50th Class Reunion was held in Columbia at a Country Club. This Holiday Inn location on Two Notch Road was very convenient to the Reunion site. They supposedly held a block of rooms for our group but the four times I called them they did not have any more available. Our Reunion coordinator called and was told they had released the rooms but would add two back. When I called again to reserve a king room, in the middle of the reservation, the room was taken. The agent I was speaking with told me not to worry that I could keep the king room outside the block and that the attendant at the desk would make sure that I received the same benefits as the others in the group which included a free deluxe breakfast. Whenever we checked in, we were told the person I had spoken with did not have the authority to let us have the room, which was to include a deluxe breakfast, at the same rate as the others in our group. This clerk at check-in told us she would handle it with her manager; however, the manager would not accommodate us. We were very shocked that the hotel would not honor the reservation agreement that the clerk had even written into our file. We have never had a situation like this when a hotel didn't go out of their way to make their patrons fill welcome and follow through on their agreement. You may be sure we will never stay at this Holiday Inn again and probably not any other Holiday Inn in the future. If they are the nation's innkeeper, we are in trouble.

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled with friends
8105hotelgm, General Manager at Holiday Inn Hotel & Suites - North, responded to this reviewResponded May 29, 2012

Thank you for your feedback. I apologize for the confusion that occurred while making your reservation as well as the treatment you received at the property. We strive to take care of all of our guests with great customer service and I hate to hear that this was not the case. I have spoken with my management team so that we are able to resolve these situations better in the future. I hope you will give us a chance to redeem ourselves. Once again thank you for bringing the issues to light so that they could be addressed.

Reviewed May 20, 2012

We stayed at the Holiday Inn Hotel and Suites - North in the Columbia-Fort Jackson, SC, area and we really liked the hotel. It is very new and clean. The architecture in the lobby is modern and very welcoming. The rooms are big and also have a very modern design. The wireless Internet is fast and easy to use. There are also many restuarants within walking distance of the hotel. I would stay here again.

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled with family
8105hotelgm, Manager at Holiday Inn Hotel & Suites - North, responded to this reviewResponded May 29, 2012

I am so glad you enjoyed your stay with us. Thank you so much for your comments. While we do have a nice variety of restaurants within walking distance try one of the restaurants on property the next time you visit.

Reviewed May 15, 2012

We arrived about 6:00 and had searched the internet and GPS for hotels in the area. This was OK and located just off the highway for easy on/off. The room was very clean and nicely updated. The bed, however, rolled to the middle. We didn't like that. The TV's sound was not clear but was somewhat muted as if the speakers were blown out. Everything else in the room was sufficient. Since we took our AAA discount, we were told that we didn't qualify for breakfast in the small diningroom. We calculated the cost of the breakfast along with the AAA discount we were told we had and our breakfast wouldn't cost us between $16 and $20 EACH. We opted for a Waffle House down the street. Most Holiday Inns whether an Express or Conference Center will accommodate their guests with a light continental breakfast. It worked out better for us to eat out this time. Our stay was average at best.

Room Tip: We were told that most HI hotels are smoke-free. THAT's our 1st choice. We couldn't smell...
  • Stayed: May 2012, traveled as a couple
Management response:Responded June 29, 2012

Dear Sheila6851,

Thank you for taking the time to review our property. I am pleased you found our rooms nice and clean. We want every guest to receive comfortable and friendly accommodations. I am sorry you were not satisfied with the comfort of the bed as well as the television in the room. We take all reviews positive and negative very seriously, and your feedback will help us improve for our next guest or your next visit.

Ferdinand G

Reviewed May 14, 2012

I've stayed here a couple of times and it's top notch. Very modern, and big. The staff was very pleasant, place was clean, and for me it was in an excellant location.

• Stayed: April 2012, traveled on business