“LAST MINUTE” 5 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #38 of 94 Hotels in Columbia
Columbia, South Carolina
“LAST MINUTE”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 2, 2012

MY DAUGHTER AND I ARE HAVING A BLAST. ....NICEST STAFF EVER......THE ROOMS ROCK...great snacks.........CLEAN........fun and happy .....THANKS..... from the time we arrived.....everyone was so wonderful...and helpful.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled with family
    • 5 of 5 bubbles

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (44)
Blacksburg, Virginia
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 22, 2012

I don't like to write bad reviews if I can avoid it. I prefer to address problems with the staff and management, but this time it did me no good.
My family arrived, hot and tired, just before 3. We were told that we could not have a room until the official check-in time of 4 (check out time is 11 am!). We waited patiently in the lobby until 4:15 to get our room. We went up to our assigned room and the door was open - blocked by the housekeeping cart. We called the lobby an were told someone was on their way upstairs to move us to a different room. After about ten minutes, the housekeepers cleared out and we moved our bags in. Soon there was a knock on the door - a staff member telling us we were being moved. I told him the problem was solved and we were staying,
This hotel highlights the sad trend in new American hotels: Quickly erected with many rooms and limited service. This hotel was apparently built in a hurry with unskilled labor. PVC pipes droop down under the sunk. Tiles in the bathroom are misaligned and grout is smeared randomly in places. Bathroom is dark and the tub was slippery - no bath mat was available. Our bathroom also had no shower curtain or towels when we moved in. Rooms were noisy - noises from hallways and other rooms easily penetrated ours. Tiny outdoor pool was closed with no notice on a blazingly hot day. None of our concerns addressed to staff resulted in any sympathy or apology. Our room was reserved as part of a block reservation, otherwise we likely would have moved elsewhere.
Pros? Comfortable beds, responsive HVAC, decent affordable breakfast buffet, good accessible location.
One outstanding issue: we left behind an article of clothing and are still awaiting a resolution. I will post an update if the outcome is insightful.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled with family
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Hotel & Suites - North, responded to this review, April 23, 2012
ahmni,

Ben J
IHG Care
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 11, 2012

I booked the room via price line and got an awesome rate. The rooms were nice, but service is something else. We had called ahead to get a roll away bed, but when we arrived there 8 hrs later, still no bed. I asked for one during check in and it still took almost 2 hrs for then to bring it up.(after calling the front desk twice) Now to top it all, we headed down to breakfast the following morning to learn that you get free breakfast based off the rate you paid for the room. Never heard of a 3 start hotel that does that. I'd rather stay at a cheaper hotel that offers more then an expensive one that gives you no extras. I would not recommend this hotel to anyone!

• Stayed March 2012
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
IHGCare, IHGCARE at Holiday Inn Hotel & Suites - North, responded to this review, April 2, 2012
Dear DrWillyum,

I would like to thank you for your review and apologize that your experience with our hotel did not meet your expectations. I am sorry for any inconvenience you may have experienced with our front desk staff. We have addressed the maters with the respective departments in order to avoid these unnecessary issues in the future.

I greatly appreciate you calling out the good quality of our rooms and rates. IHG does have a variety of rates to choose from to better accommodate all of our guests different needs, one of which does include breakfast. However, all of our Holiday Inn Express and Staybridge hotels do offer a free continental breakfast with a variety of hot items.

Once again, we appreciate you taking the time to share your comments with us. We know you have many choices when it comes to lodging and we hope your future travel plans will continue to include IHG.

Regards,
Brenda J.
IHGCare
Deltona, Florida
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 5, 2012

I stayed here on the idea that it will be like the other Holiday Inns i stayed in across the country. To my surprise according to the front desk person they do not follow any of the hospitality rules set by the chain. Breakfast was not included, they even made me pay .50 cents for a cup of coffee in the lobby. I am a priority club Gold Elite member and was treated so rudely and poorly. The front desk was the most unprofessional I have seen at any Holiday Inn. I voiced my complaints and it seems to have fallen on deaf ears. I will not stay here nor will I recommend it to anyone. It was the worst experience I have ever gone through while staying at any hotel period.

Room Tip: another hotel
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled on business
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank AnthonyPedorthist
Mooresville, NC
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 23, 2012

Just came back from a two night stay with my boyfriend. He is in the military and we stayed at this hotel for two days because it is close to Fort Jackson. I will start out with the pros:

Close to highway
Modern decor
Close to restaurants
Friendly housekeeping and maintenance workers
Big Flat screen TV
microwave and refrigerator
super comfy beds
spacious room
bath and body works shampoo, conditioner, and lotion

My boyfriend was not the only military personal staying at this hotel. There were many others, there was also a convention going on at the hotel. My first morning here, I arrived for breakfast at 9:15, the remains of the buffet were sparse and cold. However, shortly after arriving the waitress brought out a fresh supply. The following morning my boyfriend arrived to pick breakfast up for us at 9:30. The buffet had already closed. He is a platinum member so he was able to use the breakfast vouchers to place a menu order. Another military member, actually one of his soldiers, arrived around the same time as he did and was told the buffet was over and the buffet wasn't just for the army, whatever that meant. My boyfriend took care of his solder and gave him one of his vouchers and we shared a plate. The hotel also offers no lunch. My boyfriend took the car to Fort Jackson so my only option was the cross the busy intersection in an unfamiliar area or order pizza. I skipped both of those and went to Texas Roadhouse for dinner with him.

Our first night there the internet was unbearably slow because of the convention according to front desk. The next day it worked fine. Our faucet in the tub also did not work without the shower running at the same time. We could not get another room as the hotel was sold out. The fluorescent lighting in the room is horrible, so if you are over 30 good luck reading at night. The lighting in the bathroom was worse and yellow walls did not make it any easier seeing in the dark shower.

It was not a very quiet stay being so close to the highway and I could hear the other guests and housekeeping loud and clear in the morning through early afternoon. This wouldn't be much of an issue had I not had to study while there but it's unlikely that we will be back anyway.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled on business
Buffalo, New York
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 18, 2011

I stay at this location every time I pass through Columbia on Interstate 77. Its a easy off and on. The lounge is comfy and has excellent staff. I love the bed and shower in the Suites. Almost forgot the HD tv! Very nice well kept hotel.

• Stayed November 2011
1 Thank ppijacki
Richmond, Virginia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 16, 2011

Staff was very friendly. Room was clean and bed was one of the most comfortable I have ever slept in! Hotel had a very nice romance package for me and my husband- we enjoyed ourselves!! Highly recommend this hotel- food is great and the lounge has a great environment.

We will be back!